• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    GREAT NEWS!!!

The missus just got off the phone with the VP a very nice lady who informed her that Goodwill Southern Indiana has NO POLICY on firearms. She apologized repeatedly for the incident, said she is going to have a meeting with Jeff the General Manager and speak to him about this and wants to either schedule a store meeting to address this with all the employees or train jeff on their stance and have him train the other employees.

She said since they do not have a policy on that, he probably didn't know how to react if a customer complained or when it came to his attention and he must have "panicked" in his response. Corporate does not monitor the loss prevention cameras and he apparently was floundering to my questions. Again she apologized.

On top of this she offered us a 10.00 credit at the store, and said that they value all their customers and will be sending us an email (on our request) that we can print out and carry with us in case this comes up or happens again.

+1 to Miss Sonja Showels (sp?) and +1 for Goodwill respecting our Rights!!!
    That's excellent news.

No gubmint control unless it's gubmint control that helps us?
    That seems to be the way of it.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    GREAT NEWS!!!

The missus just got off the phone with the VP a very nice lady who informed her that Goodwill Southern Indiana has NO POLICY on firearms. She apologized repeatedly for the incident, said she is going to have a meeting with Jeff the General Manager and speak to him about this and wants to either schedule a store meeting to address this with all the employees or train jeff on their stance and have him train the other employees.

She said since they do not have a policy on that, he probably didn't know how to react if a customer complained or when it came to his attention and he must have "panicked" in his response. Corporate does not monitor the loss prevention cameras and he apparently was floundering to my questions. Again she apologized.

On top of this she offered us a 10.00 credit at the store, and said that they value all their customers and will be sending us an email (on our request) that we can print out and carry with us in case this comes up or happens again.

If the email you get from the corporate office is not too personal, would you mind putting it on here as PDF file, Word doc, etc.? I plan to open carry in the Goodwill stores in my area. I wouldn't mind having a copy of that email all ready to go if complaints should arise. If you don't mind sharing of course.

Good for you on sticking to your principles and obtaining a result we all can be happy with. :)

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I was going to paste the email here but there are two things to consider.

One is that when I went to copy it, at the bottom is this:

The information contained herein, including any attachments, is proprietary and confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. It also may contain privileged information and/or personal information subject to privacy legislation. The authorized addressee of this information, by its retention and use, agrees to protect the information contained herein from loss, theft, or compromise with at least the same care it employs to protect its own confidential information. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.

The second is that Goodwill is not one corporation. Goodwill Southern Indiana in Madison is a different company than Goodwill Bridgepoint located in Clarksville.

Apparently your mileage may vary on this.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I was going to paste the email here but there are two things to consider.

One is that when I went to copy it, at the bottom is this:

The information contained herein, including any attachments, is proprietary and confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. It also may contain privileged information and/or personal information subject to privacy legislation. The authorized addressee of this information, by its retention and use, agrees to protect the information contained herein from loss, theft, or compromise with at least the same care it employs to protect its own confidential information. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.

The second is that Goodwill is not one corporation. Goodwill Southern Indiana in Madison is a different company than Goodwill Bridgepoint located in Clarksville.

Apparently your mileage may vary on this.

Yes, it looks like me having a copy would be a no-no. I will probably find out the contact info for the Goodwills in my area and just contact them myself. Thanks anyway! :)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, nice work on this. I was hoping I wouldn't have to give up my weekly trip to the GW store (southern IN).

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    GREAT NEWS!!!

Great news indeed! Thanks for following through with corporate on this OP. I believe you took a direct and respectful route.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Great news op!!! Good on you and your wife for following up and not just saying oh well, like many people do. Your an ambassador for responsible gun owners and a champion of the second ammendment! I true patriot that's stands against what is not right. I really like how you carry a black powder pistol to buck the unconstitutional LTCH requirement!
    i wish you all the best!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It has been my overwhelming experience that, yes, it is much better. Like all Goodwill stores it is always a crap shoot though. BTW, I just realized the official "Carmel" GW store is not the one I'm referring to. The one that is technically in Westfield (NW corner of 146th and Hwy 31) is the one I'm referring to. You really need to know how to get there before you just head out though. It is in the middle of a bunch of construction and requires local knowledge of current access routes at the moment.

I second that. Good stuff to be had. When someone dies or gets divorced, closets get dumped at thrift stores. High asset areas have nicer things to purge.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Oh, I can't OC here? No problem, I'll just take my carload of donations down to Salvation Army.

Remind them that discrimination has consequences. :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Mark, did you even read the thread?

I did. I realize that this was a shopping trip. I understand that the GM had an issue with the gun, and that the cashier apologized, but the GM is still in charge of store. I understand there is a call into corporate and hopefully a positive resolution is pending.

My point is simply that Goodwill gets their stuff from donations. I have shopped at Goodwill on several occasions, but I have also donated quite a bit of stuff to them. My point is that many of the people who shop there also support them with donations of clothes and other items that they sell in their stores. When folks like the General Manager make statements like "you can't have that in here", it doesn't hurt to remind them that they rely on donations for their business, which by the way directly impacts the demand for general managers! :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would not boycott a whole chain of stores based on one GM's misunderstanding of corporate policy.

Maybe not, but I would let the GM of that store know my displeasure. Similar to handing them a No Gun = No Money card. Where I live, the Salvation Army is about the same distance from my house as Goodwill. I admit that the way the OP handled it was probably more effective / positive in the end. Personally, good or bad, I just tend to lose patience with people like that.

Top Bottom