• Status
    Not open for further replies.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    We can organize another OC gathering there hell if we would have known there were at least a dozen of us at a group shoot today we could have gone in to replenish our ammo.

Plan an open carry gathering in a sporting goods store that JUST asked someone to leave because of open carry. Doesn't sound smart at all. Sounds like the people that are wearing "Dont tread on me" shirts are starting to tread on other peoples rights. Just my opinion anyway.

I for one love having an edge on bad guys. Lets say you are open carrying in a store. Badguy comes in armed and willing to shoot, you are in front of him or he sees you shopping and he sees your gun....guess what, the first time you turn your back...you are dead. I would MUCH rather him pull a gun and think he has everyone covered and when he thinks hes safe...bam, hes dead.

Like I said, just my opinion.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Plan an open carry gathering in a sporting goods store that JUST asked someone to leave because of open carry. Doesn't sound smart at all. Sounds like the people that are wearing "Dont tread on me" shirts are starting to tread on other peoples rights. Just my opinion anyway.

I for one love having an edge on bad guys. Lets say you are open carrying in a store. Badguy comes in armed and willing to shoot, you are in front of him or he sees you shopping and he sees your gun....guess what, the first time you turn your back...you are dead. I would MUCH rather him pull a gun and think he has everyone covered and when he thinks hes safe...bam, hes dead.

Like I said, just my opinion.

Actually, it sounds like a fantastic idea to me. Especially because their POSTED store policy EXPLICITLY exempts LTCH holders from their 'no firearms' policy. It would be a huge educational opportunity for that particular store's staff, and would be well within their company's policy on the subject.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    First Dragon you might finish the thread before responding to everyone at once. It's a signal to noise ratio sorta thing.

I and maybe others would agree the timing of opening that particular store before the Greenwood store was a failure as hindsight sees the markets on wall street and mainstreet. It might have been a much different crowd of people.

I believe an honest poll would result in most holders of Indiana LTCH do not carry regularly or ever. I mean a poll of holders and not just ingunowners members.

Opencarry.com forum contains evidence of it's own unique variances on case law opinion over unlicensed open carry. It is also an independent and separate forum from this and any other.

As mentioned earlier about the GM going to learn of this.
    Clerk or AP may have acted alone without GM direction or knowledge

No matter the topic or subject freedom means if people are acting freely without harm you should stay out of the way.

Last edited:

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    Sounds like the people that are wearing "Dont tread on me" shirts are starting to tread on other peoples rights.

Sounds to me like you've got it backwards. The people wearing the "Don't tread on me" tshirts are the one being treaded upon. It's their rights that are being stepped on. If Cabelas doesn't want people carrying in their stores, then they should change their corporate policy & make sure the individual stores follow the policy. Otherwise, the right of the law abiding Hoosier who is carrying in that store & being asked to leave for doing so is the one who is having their rights infringed upon unjustly.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Still some stragglers missing the point.

This is an employee demanding something that contradicts a corporate policy.

If you owned a store and said it was OK for your customers to wear hats in the store, that's the rule. Now, what if John Q Public walks in with a hat on, and one of your employees demands they leave because they don't want to see the hat? That employee just blocked a potential sale and jeopardized the chances of that customer (and possibly his friends) ever coming back. What would you do?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    First Dragon you might finish the thread before responding to everyone at once. It's a signal to noise ratio sorta thing.

I believe an honest poll would result in most holders of Indiana LTCH do not carry regularly or ever. I mean a poll of holders and not just ingunowners members.

Opencarry.com forum contains evidence of it's own unique variances on case law opinion over unlicensed open carry. It is also an independent and separate forum from this and any other.

As mentioned earlier about the GM going to learn of this.
    Clerk or AP may have acted alone without GM direction or knowledge

No matter the topic or subject freedom means if people are acting freely without harm you should stay out of the way.

Signal to noise ratio? Driven divided by drive? What are you talking about? I already read all 23 pages of this thread, and I was even there the SAME TIME the OP was, so how am I causing noise?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Scutter, personally I'm sorry to hear that you were treated like some sort of swamp creature for carrying "that thing" in their store. As others have expressed, I wonder if the counsel of a manager was sought at all before the clerk told you that you'd have to leave. I for one cannot pass judgment on this store or this company unless that fact surfaces. It could have been that a manager called AP about your gun, which I then would have a very negative opinion of the store for. It could also be an AP worker who was simply ignorant of the policy who ordered the clerk to do it. You handled it well though rather than making a scene and standing too hard on your rights. Things can quickly escalate when that happens! I know someone has contacted the manager of the store so I'd love to see the outcome of that, hopefully it will be posted.

Also...

Quote:
    "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING EJECTED FROM CABELA'S FOR OC."

Thread title:
    "Ejected from Cabela's for open-carrying"

Haha! Couldn't resist! :bow:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Two words....Private Property.

Again, you are clearly missing the point. Cabella's as a company decided that they would welcome patrons, who hold a valid permit to carry a handgun, into their store. An employee of said store went against POSTED compay policy and asked a customer, who was LEGALLY carrying, AND carrying in accordance with Cabella's posted company policy, to leave the store BECAUSE he was carrying. This has nothing to do whatsoever with property rights or disrespect on behalf of Scutter. It has to do with a misinformed employee contradicting posted company policy. It's that simple.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, okay, okay! Now we see the real tragedy involved here.

Spasmo went 260 miles to have a nice time in a store she liked. She wanted a couple of really soft sweatshirts for which she probably had cashy money to pay. And let's not forget the fudge.

So, a couple of idiots who 1) can't bother to learn their own company's policy, and 2) are rude, condescending cretins ruined SPASMO's outing.

What they did to Scutter was wrong, unnecessary, and incredibly rude, but ruining Spasmo's day is . . . freakin' unforgiveable!!

I feel better now. :D

The thing that ticked me off the most is I didn't get my two Cabela's sweatshirts. They are the softest sweatshirts ever and I had two of them in hand. Sigh...

OH, I just remembered I didn't get my fudge either...sigh...

We drove 130 miles to get to Cabelas and then another 130 miles back. There were people from Michigan and Illinois there. It just amazes me that they would treat people like this that would come that far to go to their store. We had a lot of merchandise in our hands and just sat them all down right there where the girl was and left. She then called the AP or someone as we were leaving and she said we were unhappy. (meaning disgruntled so keep an eye on them or something bad may happen). That part ticked me off even more.

Sigh.. I didn't even make it to the second floor to have some of the buffalo. Yes, I liked the store up until yesterday. Obviously, or we wouldn't have driven so far.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Two words....Private Property.

Corporate Private Property... That's open and sells to the public... That clearly states if you have a LTCH you are omitted from certain checking policies for firearms.... I'll take a picture and post it up next time...

And you can't miss the signs either, the oak doors are like 20 feet tall... With glass over half that size...

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I work for a large National Retailer, I only have two people above me. I help write corporate rules. I can not change any rules unless it is done in writing. Then before that can happen the corporate lawyers have to approve and sign off on them. Being said I or no one else can not change rules on the fly. Rules are rules.
    Cabela's employee's should be be given a written write up, leading up to termination. I wrote a letter to Cabela's Corporate to let them know that Corporate rules need to be followed. In this time, no business can lose a dollar. My letter to them my not help but it makes me feel a little better,

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    FAIL!!
    The word "concealed" appears nowhere on my License To Carry Handguns.

I thought I clarified what it says on the LTCH...

Here it is again...

Verbatim:

SF 40607 (R2/1-98)

License to Carry a Handgun
    State of Indiana

The Licensee is hereby licensed by The ISP to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by the licensee. You are REQUIRED BY LAW to notify ISP, in writing, withing 60 days of a change of name and/or address.

THIS LICENSE IS SUBJECT TO SUSPENSION AND/OR REVOCATION FOR FELONY ARREST AND/OR IMPROPER OR RECKLESS USE OF A HANDGUN (NOT VALID ON COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT)

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Dragon Talon, PLEASE either start going back and editing afterthoughts into your posts or simply address multiple concerns in a single post instead of replying a plethora of times. thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom