Not open for further replies.

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.8%
    80   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I concur. I invite everyone to continue to have a civil conversation and debate. Ignoring someone who's opinion you disagree with is just close-minded.

On that note, the debate has again drifted into OC vs CC which doesn't really belong in this thread. It has also degenerated into name-calling again ("troll" is a name...). Since I can't seem to keep the thread on track regarding OC, please at least keep it civil.

Thanks!

I apologize for jacking the thread, Scutter. I wasn't expecting this level of hyperventilation. In any event, I doubt anyone is going to change their positions here, so I'll close on this subject with this post, and let the people with the veins popping out get the last word or two. :)

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Wow, sounds like a good strategy. Let's assume I am an armed criminal, with a concealed weapon. I decide to rob you. How hard is it to wait for you to turn your back and then shoot you? Thanks for letting me know you're armed in advance so I can work around it.

Ever hear of someone robbing a bank with a guard working there? Or rob a Brinks truck? What is the first thing that happens?

The armed guard is shot or disarmed. Game over.

I agree with the mods here.. Open up an OC vs. CC thread if you want to debate this more, as I am done. I helped in getting this thread off track, so I'll help to get it back on.

Scutter, again, I wouldn't boycott them. I'd get the apology from corporate and go back with it in hand. Maybe get the Disctrict Manager's number and call him when you're on your way next time so that he can call the store and let them know that you're coming and it's okay for you to enter the store, since you follow their policy and the law.

We want to make sure all employees, regardless of pay wage, understand their own rules :rolleyes:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Fear has nothing to do with my decision to not open carry. It's bad tactics, it's illogical, it draws to much attention. You choose to protect your rights by scaring soccer moms in Walmart? I don't feel the need to scare anyone. I am confident knowing I can defend myself.

Thank your for your viewpoint on this.

I have been to the many OC events at Cabela's and I have successfully informed a Cabela's employee on what THEIR store policy is. I am a young guy and I can not be mistaken for a police officer. I will post the thread for you in a minute.

My decision to open carry has nothing to do with scaring the general public. Or even soccer moms.

As far as bad tactics I disagree. I'd rather have open access to my weapon. I don't need to sweep anything back, untuck anything, or even fumble with a shirt. There are 0 things that prevent me from unhostering and using my weapon. I do believe that there is a reason that most police open carry.

I choose to protect myself by EDUCATING soccer moms at walmart. They generally ask questions about the legality of carrying a handgun. They want to protect their children as well. They are also perfectly fine with me holding the door for them while they push the stroller out. Or the group of older ladies at the NWI OC event at Northwoods that I held the door for. All could see my pistol and smiled as they walked out the door. All 12 or so of them. This is not too much attention. This is too little. I would love to have a NATIONAL reality TV show that shows me grocery shopping, buying gas, spending time with friends, eating and going about my daily business and NO ONE GETS SHOT. This will show what 99% of guns do on a daily basis, well that and sit in safes.

The media portrays guns as the big evil thing that people should be afraid of. I show them, on a one by one basis, that they have no need to fear. I do not need to conceal my firearm. I am doing nothing wrong. A criminal that is going to rob you will not waltz into a store, gun holstered and eventually rob the place. He will conceal his weapon. (I am not saying that CC'ers are criminals.)

I would love to have you to one of our OC events. They are great here in the North West because it is a different dynamic here. We get THANKED at Northwoods for choosing their establishment for our event. The young guys get picked out by the employees at Cabela's to try to use thier agenda on individuals and end up walking away red faced because they don't know their own policies. :cool:

Link: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e/17440-open_carry_at_cabelas_in_hammond.html

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Can you be a viral enemy of gun owners when you have a safe full of guns? That's like saying Hugh Hefner is an enemy of hot blondes!

Nice try though. Please lie down before you get dizzy. :D

Yes you can, it falls in the same category as people who speak out against illegal drugs then turn around and abuse prescription drugs to their advantage.

I think you better lie down a bit, it seems twisting and turning that much WILL make you dizzy.

Sorry Scutter, this not the what the intended thread is about, as stated by a earlier poster, we return to our regularly scheduled programing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Thats lame man, I work at Gander Mtn. and as long as you have a CC your ok to come in.

Yeah, I doubled checked the Gander Mountain store in Merrillville (by SouthLake Mall) and it says almost the exact same thing as Cabela's, CCW license carriers are omitted.... yada yada...

I had one lady ask me before to check mine in, and I did. I told her I was just shopping, not going to the gunsmith or anything, just buying ammo, she still wanted me to do it. I did, and haven't been back til recently. I caught a flyer for a shotgun bag for 9.99, no one else could top that...

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow... what an active thread.

Just to rehash, ALWAYS get the name(s) of the employees asking you to leave and always talk to a manager and get their name.

ALWAYS!

Cabelas has issues from time to time. If we can get the name(s) of the problem people/manager we could have already nipped this in the bud.

Unfortunately every leaves immediately and no one is ever held accountable.

GET THEIR NAMES!!!

No excuses. Get them. If it turns out to be the same person, they'll be fired.

Don't let some idiot making buck-fifty and hour reflect on the entire store. Especially when the Owners of the company say differently.

Time after time Cabelas corporate has been on the side of those open carrying.

What more do you want? Seriously. With thousands of employees in dozens of states, do you really think Mr Cabela (and yes their IS a Mr Cabela) can know and deal with each of them?

If I was feeling better I'd go down there right now, unfortunately I brought a bug with me from vacation so I'm taking it easy today.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I really hate to hear this. I was really looking forward to visiting Cabela's one day. From what I've heard and seen it looks like a pretty cool place to shop.

I don't have any problems when I OC or CC in Cabela's. I was just there yesterday as a matter of fact at around 5:32 (reciept is in front of me) and I OC'd my XD... I would do that for my Judge, but the XD looks big enough in my holster.

I went in to get a new shotgun cleaning mat and some Remington oil wipes. I stood around, bsing with some other LTCH owners, and they didn't say crap to me or any of the other guys.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah, I doubled checked the Gander Mountain store in Merrillville (by SouthLake Mall) and it says almost the exact same thing as Cabela's, CCW license carriers are omitted.... yada yada...

I had one lady ask me before to check mine in, and I did. I told her I was just shopping, not going to the gunsmith or anything, just buying ammo, she still wanted me to do it. I did, and haven't been back til recently. I caught a flyer for a shotgun bag for 9.99, no one else could top that...

I've never had an issue OC'ing in there. I usually buy a gun there on their after thanksgiving sale.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Scutter you were in my neck of the woods today.... Cool..

Several members have experienced this problem with Cabela's in Hammond.

There was an OC event at Gander Mountain in Merrillville for this same reason. NWI because of it's relative location to Coomicago seems to have a hard time understanding not only Indiana law but Also Corporate Policy.

We can organize another OC gathering there hell if we would have known there were at least a dozen of us at a group shoot today we could have gone in to replenish our ammo.

Bass Pro has figured out the law finally and Gander Mountain has not had another event since, we as a group provide a great deal of income for these places we need to make a stand.

I only experienced this in Gander Mtn, not Cabela's.

Well, I'll go and OC again next time, and see what else they say.

And Comy Chicago, I don't care, the moment I get over the state line, I pull over, unlock my box, pull out my firearm, lock and load, and go about my day back in IN...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Well....let us learn the lesson and STOP patronizing the place then...... duh. Sorry, I've had my fill of people complaining about things and not actually standing for anything lately. Let's just boycott Cabela's, online and store-front. No open carry? We won'y patronize you... plaing and simple. I'll never order online or go to the store again now. Period.

Well, don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch... Online, you don't have to deal with pissy people, just stuck keys on the key board.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't have any problems when I OC or CC in Cabela's. I was just there yesterday as a matter of fact at around 5:32 (reciept is in front of me) and I OC'd my XD... I would do that for my Judge, but the XD looks big enough in my holster.

I went in to get a new shotgun cleaning mat and some Remington oil wipes. I stood around, bsing with some other LTCH owners, and they didn't say crap to me or any of the other guys.

Interesting. That's around the same time we were there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Do you guys honestly think that because there is a "policy" statement for the corporation, that local managers could not use their own judgment, and be supported by corporate? At the end of the day, they have to make the call that they feel is the best for their customer base as a whole, not the minority that want to open carry.
    They have the right to boot anyone out, for any reason. If you go in there dressed in clown makeup, with a swastika tattooed on your forehead, singing broadway show tunes, you are gonna get thrown out. Now, do you have the right to be a singing nazi clown? Absolutely! See how that works? ;)

And for dragging 20 of your buddies in for an open carry day? They probably won't give you any flak, sure, because you are intimidating them. People with exposed guns tend to do that, especially when there is a gang of them, and you are unarmed. And most of them are female. If that is your goal, congratulations, you can scare unarmed cash register ladies. Woo.

Still, the principle of the matter is, they are trying to impose on a "double standard". Following corporate policy, but their own judgements as well... Just like the LEO thread on here, you have your individual rights (as we all do), but then you have powers of authority granted by authority officials.

Its up to you on how you make the call. If he were waiving it around and dropping it and acting a loud mouth fool, then yes, he deserved it. However, he didn't do any of that... It was tucked away, but in plain site, so its properly holstered, and he still got booted, and I bet no one complianed, but the Ass protector... Ha ha, good ol' APs, Walmart ones are the same way though...

Loss prevention of goods, or loss prevention of customers cause of your attitude? You make the call....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Really? I talked to a guy named Doug and Jim... Then I talked to another guy name Brian? I think... I only go to the Gun Dept. when I am by myself, when I have my kids, I tour the entire store. They like the "little" zoo they have there...

I don't remember the exact time. It was around then. We never even made it to the second floor.

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just what Indiana gun owners need....an angry, sleep deprived openly armed individual to purposely cause a confrontation with them. They've already made it clear that they don't want you there. Take your business elsewhere. Is it really that hard to grasp? God, the social ineptness of some of you is breathtaking! You insist on carrying a gun openly to a place where it obviously makes people uncomfortable, and when you are asked to leave, you get mad and plan to go back and take more armed people with you to cause a confrontation.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't go back either and give them any business. While I see many people posting that this is not a OC/CC debate but more of a coporate vs local store policy, I see it differently.

What if the store wasn't turning away law abiding gun owners, but instead they were asking gay couples to leave because "no one should have to look at that".

Gay people kissing or holding hands in an establishment may make some people uncomfortable, but you can't ask them to leave. But yet of course we are forced to accept that private establisments legally (it's legal) can strip you of your 2nd Ammendment right, but they can't ask a gay couple to leave (without a civil suit and the other hoopla that would surround it).

That is the core of this in my book. Is the laws need to recognize that no private business should be allow to negate consitionally granted rights, because imagine if ALL had strict hand gun rules, posted. We would not be able to carry any where. Any where.

Just another extreme example from me. I didn't even know what Cabelas was until this thread. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom