• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    If Ebola proves to be Zoonotic will all importation of animals be banned? Suppose fleas or bed bugs or even mosquitoes can spread it.

Some strains of Ebola are by definition zoonotic, because humans can contract it from other animal species (bats and other primates).
    Dogs have had antibodies, which just means they were exposed. There is no evidence of dogs developing disease or shedding virus. (The dogs that had antibodies were from poor areas in Africa and almost certainly ate infected animals such as bats, porcupines, etc).

But if an Ebola strain that infects people is also known to affect and be transmitted by a domestic species, there would certainly be import regulations or bans.

The insect vector question is interesting. The researchers can't find any insects or arthropods that carry it, but some describe why the "fruit bat" doesn't quite fit the bill as the primary natural reservoir. Therefore it is still considered an open question as to what other species might harbor and transmit the virus.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The insect vector question is interesting.
    Hey! You just made me think of something. (Warning, that can be dangerous.) :D

Is there some chance that ebola is mosquito-carried similar to malaria? Since we are going into winter up here, that vector is almost non-existent for awhile, but I haven't seen anything related to that. It would also explain the prevalence in West Africa.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Hey! You just made me think of something. (Warning, that can be dangerous.) :D

Is there some chance that ebola is mosquito-carried similar to malaria? Since we are going into winter up here, that vector is almost non-existent for awhile, but I haven't seen anything related to that. It would also explain the prevalence in West Africa.

I was researching some ebola info similar to your thinking and found this study:

Eurosurveillance - View Article

The study suggests there is some correlation between the ebola outbreaks and humidity,temps and possibly bat migration.
    The last few paragraphs have a summary.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Breaking: Obama signs executive order authorizing DOD to call up selected reserve and ready reserve for Ebola response

Didn't Obama's authority to use regular military forces in health crises get repealed in '08?

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Very sad to hear, I don't believe this is what our Men & Women signed up for. I believe this will greatly decrease signups in the near future.

Common sense has no place in our "current" government. Stopping flights and sealing our borders makes too much sense.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just read a little while ago that a hospital in Lafayette has a patient with "ebola-like symptoms".

Lafayette hospital treating patient with Ebola symptoms

NO confirmation at this time, just precautionary, the news says.

Ruh roh.

With flu season coming, we're going to see a lot of false diagnoses. Hopefully that's what this is.

I'm gonna take a SWAG and say EVERY SINGLE HOSPITAL in the US, no, in the world, has at least one patient with Ebola-like symptoms.

Probably. 7th Stepper just told me that it's been confirmed that that patient DOES NOT have Ebola. [strike]Will link to a story when I see a link.[/strike]

Same link as above, however the story has been edited.

Update: The Lafayette hospital patient experiencing Ebola-like symptoms was examined and found not to have the virus.
    Tippecanoe County Health Officer, James Adler, confirmed Thursday night that initial reports of a possible local Ebola case were proved not to be true.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have a sore throat and maybe a low fever. Should I call the CDC? Stay home for 21 days?

Maybe just a shot of Gentleman Jack and off to bed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom