GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So, I'm curious as to how INGO the authorities should handle this...We've got one or more known people that were in contact with the ebola patient and who knows how many others that may have been. Do you forcefully monitor them? Or do you let them go about their business and wait and see if they choose to avail themselves of medical care later? Does there ever come a time when it will become acceptable to quarantine people, (some, probably against their will) when a illness such as this is in play?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    CDCDirector01 said:
    It is inconceivable that ebola will spread in the US.
    I do not think that word means what you think it means.

(N.B. That is not a direct quote.)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How can anyone look at the Obama Administration's serial incompetence and not be even the slightest bit worried about terrorism or Ebola?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BREAKING: Sister of US Ebola patient: He told hospital he was from Liberia on 1st visit, was sent home.

For **** sake. This is un-****ing-believable.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I was sort of under the impression that hospitals would be briefed on what to look for, and what questions to ask if someone comes in displaying some of the symptoms of a hemorrhagic fever

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Somewhere in Senegal, there's a hospital staff shaking their heads, referring to the CDC as the JV team.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    So there's a high possibility that those kids have been back to the schools since then....SMH
    The only good thing is that Ebola is only contagious when symptoms are displayed. As the children are under observation they are not symptomatic. This should however be a serious wake up call to the health agencies involved.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The only good thing is that Ebola is only contagious when symptoms are displayed.
    I am not convinced that this is totally true. Looking at the WHO reports/protocols, based on the experience in the middle of the current West Africa outbreak, the better course of action (IMHO) would be to tell people that ANY exposure should be reported and the person quarantined. Maybe not for the entire 21 days if their contact was pre-symptomatic, but at least something. Partly because an assessment of "symptomatic" depends on self-reporting. Different people may perceive achy/feverish/bad at different levels, particularly if they are also jetlagged/tired/have a cold/whatever.

I fear we are enveloped in a false sense of security with the "only symptomatic people are contagious" line.

ETA:
    On a somewhat related note, I've read no reports about how the US patient is linked to any pre-existing Liberian patients. Hopefully, they are including that in their tracing. If they can't trace this patient to contact with a "symptomatic" patient, then that would be a problem, eh?

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It's not uncommon for trans-atlantic flights to leave late evening and arrive early-mid morning. IE, leaving the middle-east on a commercial flight the only flights available (outside of special circumstances) all leave around 10 pm- midnight local time, which would explain a 19th departure and 20th arrival...
    More on this:
    The man traveled from the Liberian capital of Monrovia to Brussels and then to Dallas, according to a spokeswoman for the Belgium health ministry, Vinciane Charlier.

"Ebola doesn't spread before someone gets sick, and he didn't get sick until four days after he got off the airplane," Frieden said.

Bet the Belgian gov't is crossing their fingers that the whole not-contagious-unless-symptomatic thing is true.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Let's get serious for a second, INGO. Real question here.

I know this is one person at the moment... and America is an essentially clean country. It should have a very hard time spreading here.

If it is truly transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids, this might be true. Evidence is mounting that transmission requires a bit less direct contact.

Heya,

Uh... I'm sure the CDC knows this, but WHO has a Contact Tracing protocol:
    WHO | Contact tracing during an outbreak of Ebola virus disease

And... uh... I'm confident the CDC is doing things in a perfectly acceptable way ("Hello, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."). The WHO protocol actually addresses who should be considered a "contact."

I'm sure most of us have probably flown before. I can't imagine a transatlantic flight would involve LESS contact than participating in a burial. I am open to being wrong on this. The message seems to be that anyone who had contact in the 3 weeks prior to diagnosis should be a contact.

Seems to me the people on the plane - at least in the seats around the patient - would be a "contact."

But then, I've been told I'm paranoid. By people who aren't paranoid. But they mean well.
    I think it refers to the actual body preparation for burial, direct, hands-on manipulation. Not just standing about the grave site and eulogizing over the deceased's life and times. In which case a trans-Atlantic flight would have considerably less contact.

The only good thing is that Ebola is only contagious when symptoms are displayed. As the children are under observation they are not symptomatic. This should however be a serious wake up call to the health agencies involved.
    They think. And this is viral. Viruses are highly mutative. This is not the time to be complacent about what we "know" or sit back on our protocols and just assume nothing will change.

Top Bottom