• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just to add, there is only one, SO FAR, but how does it spread? When do you become contagious, and how many people are or were involved with this person up to now? Are they accounted for? This has the potential to be worse than a third Obama presidency, maybe even worse than a second Hillary reign, so now what?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Likely things like this will affect large cities more than the boonies. Been that way since the middle ages. Unlikely to replicate bubonic plague in lethality if that's any consolation...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    From the CDC:

Number of deaths for leading causes of death in the US

• Heart disease: 596,577
    • Cancer: 576,691
    • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 142,943
    • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,932
    • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 126,438
    • Alzheimer's disease: 84,974
    • Diabetes: 73,831
    • Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,826
    • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,591
    • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 39,518
    Ebola has killed less than 5,000 in a part of the world where flush toilets haven't yet caught on.

I got 99 problems, and Ebola ain't one.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So what's everyone's proactive plans? Wait and see what the news tells you to do?

Will some of you inform your employers, and suggest they take some actions? Perhaps being aware of coworker travel plans, etc?

Ebola patient at Dallas hospital was SENT HOME before virus was diagnosed | Daily Mail Online

He was with the general public for 2 days with symptoms.

Also, Newsweek blamed "Global warming"

http://twitchy.com/2014/10/01/inevi...tweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

you taking apps for minor warlords? Or do I just have to kill a to take over?

Applications will be taken when we're a bit closer to apocalyptic population numbers. Have to thin out the weak, first.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm waiting to see if the CDC can really contain this. They might be able to relatively easy, in which case, no big deal (this time).

But one particular thing gives me pause about the timeline.
    The person left Liberia on September 19 and arrived in the United States on September 20 with no virus symptoms. Frieden said it was four or five days later that the patient, who is believed to be male, began developing symptoms and was ultimately admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas on Sunday, September 28.

Then this:
    When asked if there was any danger for the individuals who were on the plane traveling with the now sick patient, Frieden again stressed that Ebola doesn’t spread until the person actually gets physically ill and said he doesn’t believe there is any risk to anyone that was on any plane the person had traveled on.

I do not believe this to be entirely true. I find it difficult to square this point with the dramatic percentage of health care workers in Africa that were infected. To say there isn't "any" risk to the people on the plane is over-confident IMHO. It may be a minimal risk, but I think there is a risk.

Something else about the itinerary just jumped out at me. I bet he went to some 3rd country before coming to the US during that 19-20 Sept. timeframe. (Wonder if it was Syria or Libya.)

Last edited:

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    You know what scares me more than the conventional spread of ebola? It would be if some terrorist group figured out a way to weaponize it. I don't know how possible that is... whether the live virus could survive long enough or not. But if so... well... damn.

You mean like, say, sending infected peeps in thru a porous border? What more advanced delivery system does one need these days?

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Just to add, there is only one, SO FAR, but how does it spread? When do you become contagious, and how many people are or were involved with this person up to now? Are they accounted for? This has the potential to be worse than a third Obama presidency, maybe even worse than a second Hillary reign, so now what?

Not to worry. The CDC doc on the news yesterday said we were stopping this in its tracks. A printed article also quoted him as saying that "washing hands and wearing gloves" kills the virus. THIS >>> Guidance for Safe Handling of Human Remains of Ebola Patients in U. S. Hospitals and Mortuaries | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC <<< has been distributed to funeral homes in Georgia and other states and doesn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. In my community, you're going straight to the crematory without passing go. Burial in a hermetically-sealed casket? Bad idea. Call someone else.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya,

Uh... I'm sure the CDC knows this, but WHO has a Contact Tracing protocol:
    WHO | Contact tracing during an outbreak of Ebola virus disease

And... uh... I'm confident the CDC is doing things in a perfectly acceptable way ("Hello, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."). The WHO protocol actually addresses who should be considered a "contact."
    A contact is any person without any disease signs and symptoms but who had physical contact with a case (alive or dead) or the body fluids of a case within the last three weeks. Physical contact includes sharing the same room/bed, caring for a patient, touching body fluids, or closely participating in a burial.

I'm sure most of us have probably flown before. I can't imagine a transatlantic flight would involve LESS contact than participating in a burial. I am open to being wrong on this. The message seems to be that anyone who had contact in the 3 weeks prior to diagnosis should be a contact.

Seems to me the people on the plane - at least in the seats around the patient - would be a "contact."

But then, I've been told I'm paranoid. By people who aren't paranoid. But they mean well.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Just heard on NPR that Ebola is hard to catch, and that you have to have contact with a person with active symptoms.

What, me worry?

From Newsweek:
    And there is, according to the World Health Organization, a recent global increase in infectious diseases that seems to correspond with rising global temperatures. But determining whether there is a direct causative relation between the two is a hazy business.

What rise in temps? I thought the greenies rebranded the whole thing as "climate change" due to NO documented rise?

"Hazy" is putting it kindly.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A Hamas missile misses the Tel Aviv airport by a few miles and the feds shut down all US to Tel Aviv Isreal air travel within hours. Yet half the continent of Africa is fighting off an epidemic of an incurable disease and the State Department does nothing to contain it out side the US. Thanks Sec John (I have three purple hearts) Kerry.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Something else about the itinerary just jumped out at me. I bet he went to some 3rd country before coming to the US during that 19-20 Sept. timeframe. (Wonder if it was Syria or Libya.)

It's not uncommon for trans-atlantic flights to leave late evening and arrive early-mid morning. IE, leaving the middle-east on a commercial flight the only flights available (outside of special circumstances) all leave around 10 pm- midnight local time, which would explain a 19th departure and 20th arrival...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A Hamas missile misses the Tel Aviv airport by a few miles and the feds shut down all US to Tel Aviv Isreal air travel within hours. Yet half the continent of Africa is fighting off an epidemic of an incurable disease and the State Department does nothing to contain it out side the US. Thanks Sec John (I have three purple hearts) Kerry.
    That was my wife's reaction. WTH are we doing still flying there?

It's not uncommon for trans-atlantic flights to leave late evening and arrive early-mid morning. IE, leaving the middle-east on a commercial flight the only flights available (outside of special circumstances) all leave around 10 pm- midnight local time, which would explain a 19th departure and 20th arrival...
    Yeah, good point. Wish we knew more about the travel part of it.

Also, going a bit deeper into the WHO protocol for contact tracing:
    Priority should be given to these high risk categories of contacts, persons who within the last 21 days:
    ...(d) Slept or ate in the same household as the patient.
    So... uh... a plane doesn't count as sleeping or eating in the same household, I guess.

The CDC doc seems to be REALLY confident, though. He is clearly much smarter than me or the WHO people.

(Why do I hate medicine?)

ETA:
    This patient presumably had it when he boarded the plane (if he got it on the plane or after, then that's a bigger issue). So, he would have been a "contact" before the flight.

WHO protocol:
    Advise all contacts to:
    (a) Remain at home as much as possible and restrict close contact with other people.
    (b) Avoid crowded places, social gatherings, and the use of public transport.

Oops.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Meant this as an edit, but accidentally posted it.

The protocol has teams that go out to conduct follow-up meetings with contacts. Advice for those teams (within the 21 day incubation period):
    1. Avoid direct physical contact like shaking hands or hugging.
    2. Maintain a comfortable distance (more than 1metre) from the person.
    3. Avoid entering the residence.
    4. Avoid sitting on chairs offered to you.
    5. Avoid touching or leaning against potentially contaminated objects.

Hmmm.... recognizing those are in place in an abundance of caution to prevent the spread, but still.

Top Bottom