• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As long as none of the immediate family have it, that's good. If they can contain it to that group, we'll be Senegal, or at worst, Nigeria.

I guess I'd include anyone who had to clean up his puke (like a janitor at the apartment complex). If they don't have signs in the next 2 weeks, we're clear on this case IMHO.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    A physician/microbiologist boarded a plane in Atlanta with an ebola protection setup and the words "CDC is lying!" on the back.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/doctor-boards-flight-in-ebola-protection-suit-to-p/nhZk8/

The doctor had just flown back to the US from Guatemala.
    “Yesterday, I came through international customs at the Atlanta airport,” the doctor told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “The only question they asked arriving passengers is if they had tobacco or alcohol.”

I'm beginning to wonder if this is another of those "emergencies that shouldn't be allowed to go to waste" and what restrictions on Americans will come from it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Conspiracy or incompetence?
    Ace of Spades HQ

2005: Obama writes a letter to Bush criticizing him that the nation is "dangerously unprepared" for avian flu outbreak
    2005: Bush promulgates tough new rules to contain epidemics
    2010: *President* Obama now scraps those rules

Trololololol.

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    Conspiracy or incompetence?
    Ace of Spades HQ

2005: Obama writes a letter to Bush criticizing him that the nation is "dangerously unprepared" for avian flu outbreak
    2005: Bush promulgates tough new rules to contain epidemics
    2010: *President* Obama now scraps those rules

Trololololol.

On on a more serious note; directly from the CDC:

"Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature."

This guy is know to have direct contact with infected individuals. His belongs most likely have as well. Why in the hell are they not testing anyone that came in to contact with his baggage?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This guy is know to have direct contact with infected individuals. His belongs most likely have as well. Why in the hell are they not testing anyone that came in to contact with his baggage?

Because you are only contagious when you are symptomatic and he was not symptomatic when he was traveling from Liberia to Murrica.:dunno:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

He KNEW he had been exposed, but then traveled. Anyone who contracts Ebola after exposure to him should sue... And prevail.

Because you are only contagious when you are symptomatic and he was not symptomatic when he was traveling from Liberia to Murrica.:dunno:

Would you sit next to him on the plane, as long as he wasn't symptomatic? Or would you let your kids sit next to him? :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    He KNEW he had been exposed, but then traveled. Anyone who contracts Ebola after exposure to him should sue... And prevail.
    At the risk of a serious thread derail - I'm going to out on a limb and say that the ebola-stricken Liberian is about as close to judgement-proof as you can get. Even assuming a successful claim (and I have my doubts), dude probably doesn't have (literally) a pot to **** in.

BTW, anyone figured out who's paying for his medical treatments?

:doh:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Maybe. We just don't know.

Monday - one guy is reported with ebola in Dallas TX, he is quarantined
    Tuesday - a potential second case is reported in Texas. Never confirmed.
    Wednesday - reports say Texas has now got 18 people in quarantine, including 5 school children and their families
    Thursday - reports now saying Texas has between 80 and 100 people in quarantine

Feds say we have nothing to worry about. There is nothing to see here.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    You would if there was no travel restrictions. How would you know that there was any risk?

My question is rhetorical. The current zeit-geist is don't worry. I'm thinking when you are dealing with a contagious and lethal disease, it is irrational NOT to be concerned for your safety. Somehow I'm not reassured when the government tells me there's no problem...

(Don't worry, the gun's not loaded...)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Maybe. We just don't know.

Uh, maybe you don't know. Maybe be the CDC, WHO, and researchers worldwide are lying to us, but they all seem to know...

WHO
    The incubation period, or the time interval from infection to onset of symptoms, is from 2 to 21 days. The patients become contagious once they begin to show symptoms. They are not contagious during the incubation period.

CDC
    A person must have symptoms to spread Ebola to others. The ill person did not exhibit symptoms of Ebola during the flights from West Africa and CDC does not recommend that people on the same commercial airline flights undergo monitoring.

Before the dude boarded the plane, his temperature was taken. If he had a fever, he would not have been allowed to board the plane.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Uh, maybe you don't know. Maybe be the CDC, WHO, and researchers worldwide are lying to us, but they all seem to know...

I know you know this from the other thread ;) but at least WHO allows some wiggle room. For their people doing the contact tracing they recommend NO physical contact and a distance of at least a meter. Plus, no contact with things that possible patients have had contact with.

Before the dude boarded the plane, his temperature was taken. If he had a fever, he would not have been allowed to board the plane.
    Here's an interesting exercise - which plane? The one from Liberia to Brussels, right? What about the plane from Brussels to Dulles? Or Dulles to Texas? I presume his temp wasn't taken on the latter two, and he says he didn't have symptoms, so there's probably nothing to worry about.

But, I'm skeptical.

:beer:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

WHO

CDC

Fever is relative to your normal body temperature. And did they actually take his temperature, or run all passengers past some sort of scanner? Which assuredly was properly calibrated and in good working order.

We do know he was exposed to at least one person with Ebola, within the incubation window. Sorry, he had no business flying and exposing others to the risk that he was contagious, or might become so in-flight.

And sometimes the conventional wisdom is wrong.

The CDC doesn't recommend monitoring folks who share flights with persons from areas of infections? What could go wrong with that?

I went hiking in Scotland years ago. On return to the US the Customs folks 'decontaminated' my boots. Don't even know if I was exposed to any diseases or in any problematic areas, but they weren't taking chances on that...

Top Bottom