• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Or, now hear me out, and this is just crazy enough to work, we cancel the wine tasting tour of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

And then defend the borders of your land. If you live in an apartment...sorry. Better start watching the living dead.

This misadministration is NOT going to cancel the wine tasting tour...there are safaris to be had between rounds of golf and Hawaii vacations.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Check the news, was wearing recommended PPE, removed properly but still contracted it. Carry on....

My work requires periodic wearing of the same type of PPE, and I ALWAYS see people not using it properly, and/or not removing it properly.

Of course they're gonna say she had the right stuff on and that she used it correctly, and she may even believe that she did. That still doesn't prove that she wasn't a tiny bit negligent one time, and that's all it takes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This misadministration is NOT going to cancel the wine tasting tour...there are safaris to be had between rounds of golf and Hawaii vacations.

Fair enough. But does anyone go to West Africa on safari?

Had a guy from Ghana. He advised me that Ghana had no lions or leopards, JUST pit vipers and other snakes.

If you want to scare yourself, google up poisonous snakes of West Africa.:D

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    My work requires periodic wearing of the same type of PPE, and I ALWAYS see people not using it properly, and/or not removing it properly.

Of course they're gonna say she had the right stuff on and that she used it correctly, and she may even believe that she did. That still doesn't prove that she wasn't a tiny bit negligent one time, and that's all it takes.

If thats all it takes, what chance does the general population have? Think about it for a minute. This entire fiasco has been downplayed to the point where we are on the cusp of a major pandemic.

as an aside, hopefully J. Jackson was smart enough not to enter the room…...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sigh.

I wish they would do things. Things like - be consistent. Things like - state the basis for their statements. Even within that article, the article where they say 70% mortality, the numbers - in that same article - show about 50%.

They may be correct, but I'd feel better trusting them if they explained why they are saying the things they are saying.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    In other news, 6000+ people died yesterday that did not have EBOLA

In other news 99.9% of everything that has crawled, walked, or swam is still extinct. Why bother to pay attention? Let's all just sit around waiting for the next extinction event! What fun...maybe we should just start a flu and toenail fungus thread to really let everyone know where the true threats to mankind reside.

Or maybe we should pay attention to stupid policies and actions that put us at greater risk to things that didn't used to be a risk. Political correctness and progressive policies are making our world more dangerous not less.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    In other news, 6000+ people died yesterday that did not have EBOLA

Nowadays, if you don't die bleeding from your eyeballs to your arsehole, you just ain't newsworthy.
    coffee.gif

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When has that ever been different? When did people say "Hey, look! He/She died of natural causes! Stop the presses!"

It's when they start to die of the not normal or unnecessary when folks start to take notice. Bleeding out of all the various orifices sort of counts...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, it sorta does. Definitely sells more papers and ad time than grandma dying in her sleep.;)

Maybe the Ebola brings more attention/fear than it should.

but the difference is that many of us already know of and have made a decision about how we deal with other risks

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I went for the P100 instead. Better seal. 3M 6391 P100 Reusable Respirator Gas Mask - Large - Papr Safety Respirators - Amazon.com

Also left this on the "Horizon" thread so I'll put this here in case some aren't on both.

Ebola: Studies Dispute CDC Mantra ? The News Doctors

I don't know what protective masks the average prepared person should have. I don't see a likely situation of needing a gas mask. I do think SOME epidemic is a very real possibility.

If you were bugging in, would you take another family or friend who showed up? If so do you have a place to quarantine them? Or if at the beginning of the bug-in , you find out one family member already has the illness?

In these scenarios, you might be taking care of a sick person. So think about not only the effectiveness of the protective gear, but whether it is disposable and you need many, whether you can disinfect it and reuse it, and whether you can actually USE it? In other words, is this something you can work in your kids room for an hour while talking to them, cleaning up, feeding them, etc. I think an epidemic is more likely than me needing a gas mask, so I would want something I could wear more comfortably.

I'm not sure what that is, as regular surgery masks are permeable after a while. Just a thought.

Top Bottom