• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Nowadays, if you don't die bleeding from your eyeballs to your arsehole, you just ain't newsworthy.
    coffee.gif

Hell, if anything the press has downplayed the effects of Ebola on the human body. I originally read Richard Preston's "The Hot Zone" in high school and picked it up because it seemed topical to current events. It's worth the read to anyone interested in learning about virology and the history of how Ebola has spread and been studied.

To avoid getting too gross, I'll just say that they have to do autopsies on Ebola patients rather quickly after death because they essentially turn to liquid in short order. I'm amazed that anyone can survive it based on what it does to you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hell, if anything the press has downplayed the effects of Ebola on the human body. I originally read Richard Preston's "The Hot Zone" in high school and picked it up because it seemed topical to current events. It's worth the read to anyone interested in learning about virology and the history of how Ebola has spread and been studied.

To avoid getting too gross, I'll just say that they have to do autopsies on Ebola patients rather quickly after death because they essentially turn to liquid in short order. I'm amazed that anyone can survive it based on what it does to you.

I remember hearing stories about patients bleeding out through their mattresses when it first made the news in the late 70's. Scared the crap out of me back then.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think 88GT (apologies if she wasn't the one) pointed out that the flu RARELY ever kills a healthy person who seeks medical attention. In my mind, the worst flu I can get (as an otherwise healthy person) will dehydrate me. If it does, I can get that fixed pretty quick. VERY small chance I would die, if I do my part.

With ebola, while the risk of getting it is low, if I do get it, even with the best medical care and hydration I can get, the odds are still about 50% that I'll die.

The cost/benefit analysis for flu is completely different than ebola.

Still not panicking, just offering my opinion.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I don't know what protective masks the average prepared person should have. I don't see a likely situation of needing a gas mask. I do think SOME epidemic is a very real possibility.

If you were bugging in, would you take another family or friend who showed up? If so do you have a place to quarantine them? Or if at the beginning of the bug-in , you find out one family member already has the illness?

I'm not sure what that is, as regular surgery masks are permeable after a while. Just a thought.

Other family members outside the house? Depends. Are they dying already? Some hard choices there. Family members inside the house? Children? We're all going to die sometime, it's how we live that matters. No PPE for me with them.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    False equivalencies. We have vaccines for the flu, which isn't massively contagious like Ebola.

On the scale contagious viruses, Ebola and pandemic flu bugs are about even-steven with R naught numbers of around 2. Neither flu or Ebola are massively contagious.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Other family members outside the house? Depends. Are they dying already? Some hard choices there. Family members inside the house? Children? We're all going to die sometime, it's how we live that matters. No PPE for me with them.

You have other family members to think about ?

If one of my kids is sick with an infectious disease that has a high mortality rate, I'm going to take steps to prevent contracting it, so that I in turn don't infect others and that I'm still around to take care of them.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You have other family members to think about ?

If one of my kids is sick with an infectious disease that has a high mortality rate, I'm going to take steps to prevent contracting it, so that I in turn don't infect others and that I'm still around to take care of them.

With a 21 day incubation period the gig is pretty much up. By the time you admit anyone in the house has it everyone in the house has it.

The last thing my daughter sees would not be me dressed in a hazmat suit waiting for her to die.

On the other had if it was me I'd have them throw food to me off the balcony until I either lived or died. I've got tents.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Quite irrelevant. The idea isn't to ban anyone that has ever been within the same national borders as an Ebola victim, but to try and minimize the spread of the disease.

Exactly. I'm not convinced that stopping flights to/from West Africa will be at all effective - unless EVERY airline does it.

Going by passport might be more effective, but would still have issues.

I understand that 'perfect is not the enemy of good' but I'm also concerned about actions that create a false sense of security. Like PPE.

Top Bottom