• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Exactly. I'm not convinced that stopping flights to/from West Africa will be at all effective - unless EVERY airline does it.

Of course it should be done with all airlines. Who suggested otherwise? It isn't hard. As I noted above, it's been done by this president within the last year and for something far less grave to American lives.

Going by passport might be more effective, but would still have issues.

I understand that 'perfect is not the enemy of good' but I'm also concerned about actions that create a false sense of security. Like PPE.

False sense of security? Eliminating the most likely vector of infection is good medical advice. It doesn't eliminate all risk.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Of course it should be done with all airlines. Who suggested otherwise? It isn't hard. As I noted above, it's been done by this president within the last year and for something far less grave to American lives.
    President can't order Qantas not to fly to Liberia from Sydney. (Full disclosure - I have no idea if Qantas flies to Liberia. Or Sydney.)

My point is that we would have to shut down ALL air traffic, to and from ANYWHERE, to be effective. Or try to implement a system that is passport-based, not airline-based. Ultimately, though, particularly in light of the 2-21 day incubation period, I'm not convinced it would be effective.

False sense of security? Eliminating the most likely vector of infection is good medical advice. It doesn't eliminate all risk.
    It is a likely vector. I remain unconvinced that flights to/from West Africa are the most likely. In fact, our understanding of the actual vector of Duncan's infection shows that such a moratorium would not have made any difference.

(I think you and I may be talking around each other a bit, though.)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My point is that we would have to shut down ALL air traffic, to and from ANYWHERE, to be effective. Or try to implement a system that is passport-based, not airline-based.

So, what you're saying...is we need to profile people to eliminate the threat...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, what you're saying...is we need to profile people to eliminate the threat...

haha

I'm actually saying somewhat the opposite (although I think it is also applicable to the principles of racial profiling) - profiling isn't really effective.

What WOULD be effective is that everyone coming into the US, from anywhere, gets a 3 week stay at a quarantine facility. That's going to be logistically tricky, though.

BTW, from the other thread - hot nurse's boyfriend may have been admitted with ebola-like symptoms:
    Not sure of the source, but they link to a Twitter of the company CEO, so seems legit. Nurse's boyfriend got it.

Ebola Nurse Boyfriend Admitted With Ebola Symptoms

That would be problematic as all get out IMO as the CDC has repeatedly said that it's not contagious when you're not showing symptoms. I can't imagine the nurse being intimate with her boyfriend if she was showing symptoms.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    These two threads should be merged....
    I (respectfully) disagree. While they sometimes overlap, the other thread is generally more focused on the foreign infections and how the experience there can inform preparedness here.

A couple of the posts in that other thread might be more appropriate in this thread, as they relate specifically to the Texas outbreak. But, generally, I think they deserve to be separate.

Again, not trying to be argumentative, just stating my opinion. :beer:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    haha

I'm actually saying somewhat the opposite (although I think it is also applicable to the principles of racial profiling) - profiling isn't really effective.

What WOULD be effective is that everyone coming into the US, from anywhere, gets a 3 week stay at a quarantine facility. That's going to be logistically tricky, though.

BTW, from the other thread - hot nurse's boyfriend may have been admitted with ebola-like symptoms:

Well, profiling does not need to be racial. You can profile region of origin, travel habits, country visited, business engaged in...fit the danger category you want to filter and build a profile.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

If you read the letter, in that link, from the CEO of Alcon where the boyfriend works, he does state that the boyfriend has not exhibited any symptoms of Ebola.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In before GP: second Texas health care worker has ebola.

Credit to longbow for the inside info.

Wonder if the problem is following protocols or the protocols themselves.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In before GP: second Texas health care worker has ebola.

Credit to longbow for the inside info.

Wonder if the problem is following protocols or the protocols themselves.

Just watching the Today Show. The nurse's union out there said there were no protocols in place. Patient zero was put out in the waiting room for hours. A nurse supervisor showed up and insisted he be quarantined immediately. Apparently the administrators took offense to this and they got into some sort of pissing match.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just watching the Today Show. The nurse's union out there said there were no protocols in place. Patient zero was put out in the waiting room for hours. A nurse supervisor showed up and insisted he be quarantined immediately. Apparently the administrators took offense to this and they got into some sort of pissing match.

Yeah, it's going to be expensive at first, then there won't be enough equipment to go around.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait. This can't be right. The CDCzar said they were going to "stop it in its tracks." This doesn't feel like that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom