Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Something to think about. They say homosexuals make up about 2% of the population. So that would be around 6 million counting children. They had more than double that watch the last show IIRC. So I don't know that A&E did it out of concern for their bottom line.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Christians are the only religion who don't have freedom of speech in the US. It is disgusting. If a Muslim was praying to Allah in public and a Christian was bothered, no one would do anything because they don't want to offend the Muslim. If a Christian was praying in public and a Muslim was upset about it, the Christian would have to stop praying because it offended the Muslim.

Now, I'm not saying the Muslim shouldn't pray in public, because they have every right to, but people in this country from all walks of life need to grow a pair and stop being offended by every little thing and get over it.

Aaaaand... IBTL.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The people here that say "hey thats the free market" are forgetting something. There are protected classes in this country, namely minorities of any type, this is enforced by the government in the most important way, the sentencing of people to longer jail times by the use of hate crime charges. We all know this. The media which is on the liberal side, usually, backs this up and enforces it by removing "offenders" from their shows and therefore the money the "offender" earns. A free market would show that people who offend non minority groups (of any kind) would also get removed from their shows and monetary earnings.

A&E does not care what happens to their viewership, in 2 weeks the whole thing will be over, no one will care what channel they are watching and it will be business as usual. Except for one thing, the next guy that thinks about making a statement that may offend a "minority" will probably think twice, but not so with a guy making a crack about a non-minority group. This is how the "agenda" is moved forward, liberal government and liberal media helping pave the way for what they deem is justice.

Yeah, you're right. Govt shouldn't identify "protected" classes, at least in relation to private business. This doesn't involve govt, so there's no issue... unless you're saying you want MORE protected classes, which I assume you do not.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Something to think about. They say homosexuals make up about 2% of the population. So that would be around 6 million counting children. They had more than double that watch the last show IIRC. So I don't know that A&E did it out of concern for their bottom line.

Doesn't work that way, just because 2% of the populace is gay, doesn't mean that everybody else doesn't share some of their opinions.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    This is the the only reality based post I've seen on this subject. Phil endangered A&E's bottom line with his poorly chosen words. His comment should have been "no comment" and there would have been no issue here. Any employer would have likely done the same, and many have. He signed a contract and represents the network, too.

A&E endangered their own bottom line with their actions. The show gets 14 million viewers and they view the show and now their views. Instead of making a small percentage of people mad by Phil's words and no actions. A&E's actions is going to make millions mad at them.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    And my point is proven. He is being targeted by mainstream media, if a gay guy had said that about a Christian we would not being hearing a peep unless the TV Network had fired him for it and it would be about the poor gay guy that got fired.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A&E endangered their own bottom line with their actions. The show gets 14 million viewers and they view the show and now their views. Instead of making a small percentage of people mad by Phil's words and no actions. A&E's actions is going to make millions mad at them.

That is assuming all their viewers hold their beliefs. IMO A&E probably won't sweat this too much, as there's really not much anyone can do to them. A&E is A+E a huge behemoth owned by Hearst/Disney. Unless one boycotts television and news sources for the foreseeable future there's really not much that can be done other than complain.

...and on top of it all, this might actually help A&E. I've had a few friends who have never watched the show express interest.

BTW, remember they did this to Dog too. I think it's fairly obvious they have a strict conduct policy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And my point is proven. He is being targeted by mainstream media, if a gay guy had said that about a Christian we would not being hearing a peep unless the TV Network had fired him for it and it would be about the poor gay guy that got fired.

What if the gay guy is Christian?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ...and Bobby Jindal's statement just ensured Id never vote for that idiot. When have networks ever "believed in the First Amendment?"

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    +1

A&E's viewership was "marginally threatened" by the comments of one guy. It just so happens that a majority of it's viewership likely agrees with the comments of that one guy and therefore by suspending him they've alienated a vast majority of their viewers. You think Phil threatened their bottom line? Phil may have threatened it, but they are the ones that took an axe to it and chopped it up. Self-fulfilling prophecy sort of thing. This will all fall on Phil; A&E's decreased ratings and viewers will be blamed on him because they are so blinded by PC BS that they won't be able to understand how they killed their ratings....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    +1

A&E's viewership was "marginally threatened" by the comments of one guy. It just so happens that a majority of it's viewership likely agrees with the comments of that one guy and therefore by suspending him they've alienated a vast majority of their viewers. You think Phil threatened their bottom line? Phil may have threatened it, but they are the ones that took an axe to it and chopped it up. Self-fulfilling prophecy sort of thing. This will all fall on Phil; A&E's decreased ratings and viewers will be blamed on him because they are so blinded by PC BS that they won't be able to understand how they killed their ratings....

Do you really think there will be deceased viewership of A&E, and it's holdings, due to this? I just don't see it.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    That is assuming all their viewers hold their beliefs. IMO A&E probably won't sweat this too much, as there's really not much anyone can do to them. A&E is A+E a huge behemoth owned by Hearst/Disney. Unless one boycotts television and news sources for the foreseeable future there's really not much that can be done other than complain.

...and on top of it all, this might actually help A&E. I've had a few friends who have never watched the show express interest.

BTW, remember they did this to Dog too. I think it's fairly obvious they have a strict conduct policy.

A&E's viewership is probably as high as it is now due to the show. Those people are now mad at A&E because Phil was the reason many people watched the show (I, myself, watched for Phil and Si {the episode where Si quits DC and works for Phil is great}). Dog moved to CMT and I watch it there. If DD moves, I will watch it whereever it goes. I don't watch A&E for any show other then dD.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And yet, the fans will still tune in.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    1508148_294818687309840_1464073336_n.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom