• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Actually the Robertsons were making "reality" tv long before A&E courted them. Duck Commander and Buck Commander is where the following started, both on outdoors programming networks (think buck commander is on The Sportsmans Channel). You wouldn't recognize any of the names on Buck Commander....Luke Bryan...Jason Aldean...virtual nobodies.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Possible, but highly unlikely. Being "there," then, or looking back on it now, really doesn't change the tenor of the times

Gotta throw the BS flag on this one.View attachment 24280

You weren't there. You didn't experience what someone else experienced. They recall what they saw. But you think their recollection of what they saw is inaccurate? You - I assume - have never visited or lived where he did? Never met the people he's talking about? But, it's likely it didn't happen.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    :+1:

And while we are at it, let's remove tax exempt status for all churches, regardless of the path. Government shouldn't subsidize religion.

You do realize that the government does not subsidize churches, right? All the income is donated by hardworking American taxpayers that pay taxes on their wages, just like you do. Above the cost of facilities and expenses, the money that is pooled by the benevolent is GIVEN AWAY to help people in many ways, some locally, some nationally and some internationally. This is regulated in agreement and joint purpose of the people who actually provide the money. None of the funds are from monies involuntarily taken from the general population, that would be subsidy.

Some churches have gone into the daycare business, needed mainly because of the breakdown of the society and financial pressures brought on by inept govenment. And some low income mothers get government help to offset the costs. Most of these provide far superior child care to anything the government operates for pennies on the dollar. I never allowed our Childcare program to apply or accept any government money, because I was not willing to have the government get in the way if I wanted to fire someone I didn't trust around the children. I confidently state that for every dollar the taxpayers are on the hook for daycare costs, there are some benevolent volunteers who are donating $3.00 for the good of the community.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    No problem. Personally, Phil has my sympathies. I think he's a good man, certainly not a racist or bigot. I think his problem is that he has no filter. If he agrees with homosexuality, that's his right, but by essentially attacking the lifestyle, he's not going to change any options of those that accept it. In situations like this, it's best to be tactful in stating your opinion so that people that disagree might consider your stance.

Tactful? Phil is a man of God; there is absolutely no room for "tactful" when it comes judgement day. Tell it like it is and if you're a wussy that can't handle the truth then you need to grow up. As already stated there are many people that are much less "tactful" than Phil was at weddings, funerals, and even in church. You want tact you're looking in the wrong place. You want truth, Phil said it, PERIOD.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Gee, and stupid me, I thought that tax exempting religious institutions had to do with the principle of the separation of church and state:rolleyes:.

The problem is that many want to enjoy the tax free status, keep the government out their church all the while trying to put their church in government.

As with all things the government gives, there are strings attached. Don't want your speech limited as a church? Don't take the tax exempt status.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

You weren't there. You didn't experience what someone else experienced. They recall what they saw. But you think their recollection of what they saw is inaccurate? You - I assume - have never visited or lived where he did? Never met the people he's talking about? But, it's likely it didn't happen.

I'm pretty sure, I've been through that area several times (I have friends in S'Port, Nola, and B'Rouge), either on my way from home (Alabama) or from college (Florida). My family is as Southern, backwoods as it gets from Georgia to Arkansas (mostly Alabama, tho). When thing that common to all of older members of my family is the struggles they dealt with during Jim Crow. You know why Phil never heard complaints? It was because a black person's life, livelihood, or both could be threatened if they spoke up. I'm trying to give Phil credit of youthful ignorance rather than believing he's dishonest about those times. To believe that blacks in Louisiana were "happy" with their lot, anywhere, is pretty outlandish. They put on a "face" of happiness for protection, not because they were satisfied with their lives.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The problem is that many want to enjoy the tax free status, keep the government out their church all the while trying to put their church in government.

As with all things the government gives, there are strings attached. Don't want your speech limited as a church? Don't take the tax exempt status.
    That is so far out there that I can't contemplate your argument.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm pretty sure, I've been through that area several times (I have friends in S'Port, Nola, and B'Rouge), either on my way from home (Alabama) or from college (Florida). My family is as Southern, backwoods as it gets from Georgia to Arkansas (mostly Alabama, tho).

Having friends & family in the area doesn't make you anymore of an expert than it makes me a Navy SEAL just because I've worked alongside them before. Phil grew up and worked with them, you know people that live near them. That doesn't make you knowledgeable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Nope. A&E will still be making millions after DD is long gone. And the Robertsons will be back to making duck calls and not TV reality shows. Faux could apply to just about any of them beating this particular drum, but the hypocrites at Murdoch's media are the worst of the lot. They've gone off the deep end over this, instead of paying it the attention it deserved. None. Guess there weren't any missing white girls today.

64207_628042600564944_392727255_n.jpg
    Your crystal ball may be cracked!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm pretty sure, I've been through that area several times (I have friends in S'Port, Nola, and B'Rouge), either on my way from home (Alabama) or from college (Florida). My family is as Southern, backwoods as it gets from Georgia to Arkansas (mostly Alabama, tho). When thing that common to all of older members of my family is the struggles they dealt with during Jim Crow. You know why Phil never heard complaints? It was because a black person's life, livelihood, or both could be threatened if they spoke up. I'm trying to give Phil credit of youthful ignorance rather than believing he's dishonest about those times. To believe that blacks in Louisiana were "happy" with their lot, anywhere, is pretty outlandish. They put on a "face" of happiness for protection, not because they were satisfied with their lives.

Rgr that. I stand corrected.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Having friends & family in the area doesn't make you anymore of an expert than it makes me a Navy SEAL just because I've worked alongside them before. Phil grew up and worked with them, you know people that live near them. That doesn't make you knowledgeable.

How bout you research the history area (which is well documented) and tell me if you still think you agree that blacks in the area were "happy." Phil was a dang kid, and a football star that went to college at La Tech. That tells me, that when people were working the fields because they and their families HAD to, he was a blue chipper playing a game. My father cut and picked cotton until he was drafted, and college was an after thought until he joined the service. My grandfather, 700 miles away, was a gardener and my grandmother a maid for a wealthy family. From their accounts the family they work for we're good to them, but they still knew lines they couldn't cross. You're going to tell me, with a straight face, that you think Phil's claim is factual that blacks were happy? How the $&@# would he know? Jim Crow didnt apply to him, he could sit at the front of the bus, he could vote. He didnt have to worried about having his hands chopped of and lynched, for loitering, nor being pulled from a jail cell, shot, and thrown in a river (things that happened in his little slice of paradise). Things like that aren't easily forgotten, especially when it could realistically be you. If you want to take Phil's word as being fact, knock yourself out, but the history if that area WHILE he was alive, pretty much mirrors the documented factual accts of most other southern areas during that time.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC

The way this ref is throwing the flag, I think Phil may have a problem with him.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Holy race and religion thread Batman...

IBTMF'nL!!

some people just can't resist standing on a stage and waving books In the air at others. I've seen more scripture quotes and religion talk on here in the last week than I had previously in te last year. I thought talk of religion was against the rules?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom