Not open for further replies.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    theres a couple people in here right now really riding around on a high horse. but its alright. like i said earlier, in common speech, im one of the most offensive people you could run across. if you want to look down on me, i could care less. im not attempting to be especially hateful towards anyone. theyre just words. and they have associations connected to them outside of their proper defintions. i have a friend thats mexican and italian. i call him wopback. we laugh about it. hell then call me a kraut, and make a comment about ww2. words are words. it doesnt say anything about my iq, because im sure its at least as high as yours. when it comes to writing a paper for school, or writing a sworn statement to keep people out of jail, mine are top notch. so take one foot out of your stirrup, swing your leg over, climb down out of the saddle, and rejoin the common folk.

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. There are people who know me who I know are yanking my chain and all is good. There are others whom I don't know that I am trying to ID as friend or foe and their words help me do that.

And I also agree that public pay for PSA is bunk. There is nothing the TV will teach my kids that I cannot, which is why we have no TV other than DVD and VHS. No cable, etc.

From what I see here, people don't want to be jerks. So if you are gonna use words that are gonna tick off someone, just be intentional. There used to be "fighting words" and again, the idea was use them if you want, but understand what they mean.

I think that is what they were trying to say with the PSA. Not that it was worth $$$ to do something so basic. As I said in another thread, there should be no reason to teach people "be nice to XYZ" when kids should have already been taught "be nice to other kids".

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have a feeling this thread is going to end up in a lock.

locked.gif

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    People (especially kids) will always come up with some term to make fun of other people. Take for example retarded, we are now told we can not use it in polite conversation. So when my kids were in school what was the new word, Special. Kids would cry and get into fights on the playground because they would be made fun of with the word special. Oh, he can't do anything he is special. It doesn't matter what the PC crowd wants to use, that word quickly becomes an insulting term if used with that intent.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was just reading about a gun that in it's features description said it had retarded blowback and I thought of this thread. That's bad.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    people will continue to create new insults, and other people will continue to insulted by them. life will go on.

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What if they meant what they were saying. Maybe they did think it was gay......
    Sponsorship is crazy anymore anyway. I was watching a segment of Blue Planet the other night. A commercial comes on showing a girl/woman shooting a gun. Bullet comes out in slow motion, some smoke from the barrel. Watch the bullet spin and move for a couple of seconds. Then the commercial sponsor comes on and it's a don't hate/ just love .com kind of crap thing. I get kind of PO'd. Then the show comes back on and for 15 mins. it shows Killer whales flippin penguins and BABY seals up in the air (until their dead by the way) just flopping all around. Talk about peace and love all over the TV.........

Last edited:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    People (especially kids) will always come up with some term to make fun of other people. Take for example retarded, we are now told we can not use it in polite conversation. So when my kids were in school what was the new word, Special. Kids would cry and get into fights on the playground because they would be made fun of with the word special. Oh, he can't do anything he is special. It doesn't matter what the PC crowd wants to use, that word quickly becomes an insulting term if used with that intent.

Well, isn't that special...

Tq487835675.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom