Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I know you're not critiquing, I just thought it was interesting because before reading that article I hadn't thought about it. Because we all, or well, most of us, talk about the original meaning of the 2A, I thought maybe shedding some light on what our Founders meant with the 1A was prudent here. I've not read Levy's book but I think it would be a good read.

What I'm not sure about is if saying Gay or Fat or ****** would be a prosecutable offense under the 1A's original meaning.

(Man I hate saying the N word.)

IMHO, given the usage of the word at the time of the prosecution, as long as it could be proven true, the prosecution could be expected to fail.

The use of "Jewed down" is still common in Indiana. And when I hear it I wonder if the person is really an Anti-semite or just a jerk. It's not polite to say the least...

You're free to use it all day if you want. But don't be surprised if it changes how I deal with you. Hope you didn't need that repair done quickly or wanted to be invited to the next cookout!

I had a co-worker use that term recently. I chose to let it slide... once. If I hear it again, we will talk about it. Politely at first.

I think it is so commonplace to some that say it, just use it as a standard word, not even thinking about it in a derogatory manner nor meaning to do so.

That's what I think my coworker did.

Were is Gun Lawyer... I want to know what makes someone defined as a "reasonable man"? And what if it is a woman that you insult?

It's sometimes called the "reasonable, prudent man"... I actually saw someone wearing a shirt with that written on it once. :):

Dang...there's never a lawyer around when you need one. :):

Quite possibly the funniest line I've seen all day.

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. There are people who know me who I know are yanking my chain and all is good. There are others whom I don't know that I am trying to ID as friend or foe and their words help me do that.

And I also agree that public pay for PSA is bunk. There is nothing the TV will teach my kids that I cannot, which is why we have no TV other than DVD and VHS. No cable, etc.

From what I see here, people don't want to be jerks. So if you are gonna use words that are gonna tick off someone, just be intentional. There used to be "fighting words" and again, the idea was use them if you want, but understand what they mean.

I think that is what they were trying to say with the PSA. Not that it was worth $$$ to do something so basic. As I said in another thread, there should be no reason to teach people "be nice to XYZ" when kids should have already been taught "be nice to other kids".

Does "provocation", posted upthread, not count as "fighting words"? Is that legally a defense in Indiana? (if the thread is locked and a legal eagle wants to let me know, please PM.

Blessings,
    Bill

ibtl41.gif

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I wish Hillary had gotten gay with those two chicks she was talking to. That would have been a much better use of the video camera!!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I wish Hillary had gotten gay with those two chicks she was talking to. That would have been a much better use of the video camera!!

That would be Bill... I still wonder how grateful those girls were on the ride back from Korea... He is the ultimate male Lesbian.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    That would be Bill... I still wonder how grateful those girls were on the ride back from Korea... He is the ultimate male Lesbian.

EEWWWW!!!!!!!! Not Hillary Clinton!!

I meant Hillary Duff, from one of the two vids in the OP LOL

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I was taught that cursing was a sign that someone wasn't intelligent enough to think of a better word. That being said, I'm still guilty of cursing and using the word "gay" from time to time. The PC thing is getting out of hand though. Why isn't saying something is "stupid" considered politically incorrect? We all agree there are more than a few stupid people out there but saying something "looks stupid" doesn't offend them. Why not? Because nobody will seriously admit to being stupid. Sure they'll joke about it, but they don't honestly believe it. Words only mean what you put into them and if you don't view yourself as <insert derogatory remark> then you aren't going to be offended.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I was taught that cursing was a sign that someone wasn't intelligent enough to think of a better word.

I have come to the conclusion that that is yet another lie mothers tell their children. When I was at IU, some of the smartest professors I knew cursed like sailors. The dumber ones would use big words trying to impress everyone when a good curse word would have served much better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom