• ...and so much more!
  • Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Bas is a beast!

To address what jdhaines is saying, I believe that a good BJJ instructor would teach his/her students that BJJ is the best for ground fighting but not the best for striking. A good striking coach/instructor would take the same approach. Stylistically I believe there isn't one single best art and there is no all encompassing art, therefore you have to be somewhat unbiased and this is why I agreed with the1kidd.

As far as different strikes having their place, I was taught to use soft surfaces on hard targets and hard surfaces on soft targets. The reason being depth of penetration on soft targets is better and surface disruption/trauma is better on a hard target and also it will protect your surfaces. We also condition those surfaces to make them more dense and flexible so they don't break. Many styles have a form of this, i.e. heavy bag for boxing to develop that ballistic effect from hitting someone, muay thai kicking trees, each other, or whatever so your fib/tib doesn't break when a kick is checked, etc,.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    From excursions to the Turk Bars, I learned hitting a man with a Fist is effective, not as good as a pool cue, but effective none the less...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    From excursions to the Turk Bars, I learned hitting a man with a Fist is effective, not as good as a pool cue, but effective none the less...

exactly.....a strike is a strike, so long as it connects....and there's no such thing as a fair fight unless inside a ring

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    LMAO...."not a good idea. don't do this to .....El Quapo!!" :rockwoot:

this guy cracks me up, but he presents effective techniques that they teach a number of high level military units

He's used those very techniques in bars, Pride Fighting Championships, UFC, K-1, and King of Pancrase.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    He's used those very techniques in bars, Pride Fighting Championships, UFC, K-1, and King of Pancrase.
    hmm...I'll have to look up some more of his vids...I don't see a lot of sport fighters using such techniques...granted I don't follow it a lot and they have very restrictive gloves on

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Look up his Pancrase fights, where they aren't allowed to use closed hand strikes to the face. He has a couple of very funny fights against Jason Deluccia and Frank Shamrock where he shames them with his open hand stuff. lol Also Fight Science has pretty much proven Bas is the hardest hitting mofo on the face of the Earth.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Look up his Pancrase fights, where they aren't allowed to use closed hand strikes to the face. He has a couple of very funny fights against Jason Deluccia and Frank Shamrock where he shames them with his open hand stuff. lol Also Fight Science has pretty much proven Bas is the hardest hitting mofo on the face of the Earth.

El Quapo!!!! lmao

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    we practice a similar technique to his at 2:05 for a weapon to the back and disarming...but we have to do it with "airsoft" weapons, unless you want to take the time to dig plastic and paint marking compound out of the muzzle of your simunition weapon

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    An average person is more likely to be able to KO someone with a pimp slap than a punch. They are also less likely to break their hand. - George

Top Bottom