• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Absolutely beautiful animals! I am insanely jealous! I had two GSDs when I was a kid. Both all black males. I loved them like a brother.

This is the second one. His name was Bogart.

bogart%2Bin%2Btruck.png

He was my buddy.

I still miss him. :(

One day, I'll have another.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I think in all seriousness, I think the Ovcherka has the GSD beat; Mind you both are Shepherds, but one is darn near a bear.;)

Ovcherka's kill wolves and have been known to kill bears, can a GSD say that much?:rockwoot:

My money is on the Dog which as over 5,000 years of Warlike breeding behind him

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I think in all seriousness, I think the Ovcherka has the GSD beat; Mind you both are Shepherds, but one is darn near a bear.;)

Ovcherka's kill wolves and have been known to kill bears, can a GSD say that much?:rockwoot:

My money is on the Dog which as over 5,000 years of Warlike breeding behind him

One was bred for intelligence, loyalty, etc and one was bred to be HUGE and hunt/protect the homestead from large critters...I don't live anywhere near an area where bears, wolves or large cats are inhabited, so I'll take my GSD(s).:D

I won't lie though, I've looked into Caucasians before...Awesome looking dogs and VERY intimidating. I can't say I'll never own one.

BTW, they may hunt and kill wolves and bears, but they AREN'T doing it on their own...Any pack of large breed dogs would be able to bring down a bear of any size; it just all depends on the pack size.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I've heard the intelligence and loyalty of the Ovcherka is one that is unmmatched. I've had a GSD, and they are great dogs. Both were killed, one by posion, and the next was beat close to death. It was heartbreaking, as it occured when I was a young child.

Because I have a family of my own, Im looking at a manstopper, one that requires zero training, except if you want the dog to be nice.

I've had several instances with dogs, and attempted attacks, while with my daughter, from lab mixs, to boxers, pit bulls and the latest being a Rotweiller. Each time, these dogs showed themselves to be complete cowards, cant blame them.. a p-o'ed 200+ pound father is a major no no, because once that line is crossed there is not taping out - Fathers can relate.

But my point of that story, was at each time, I had zero fear of engaging any of these animals, knowing full well what could happen. But the sheere size of the Ovcherka, some of the biggest are 230+ in weight and tower over men while on hind legs, is certainly an imposing figure, or atleast more than the 130lb dogs I've recently had a problem with.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have a Daisy too

I have a Daisy too...She is a Teacup Yorky...about 4 pounds. I didn't buy her on INGO but I thought I would post her anyway.

picture.php

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Because I have a family of my own, Im looking at a manstopper, one that requires zero training, except if you want the dog to be nice.

That's a scary sentence. I sure as hell hope, for not only your family's sake, but your neighbors as well that you train the hell out of a dog that large.

You don't really think that you can let a dog that big just roam around your house and expect him to not have any food aggression to your son or daughter when they decide to go pet it while eating, do you?

What about if it gets loose?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    That's a scary sentence. I sure as hell hope, for not only your family's sake, but your neighbors as well that you train the hell out of a dog that large.

You don't really think that you can let a dog that big just roam around your house and expect him to not have any food aggression to your son or daughter when they decide to go pet it while eating, do you?

What about if it gets loose?

A dog this large, and already naturally aggressive with strangers, but very loyal to the Pack and it's flock - You would not want to train to be aggressive - Which is why I like the Ovcherka.

I do believe in responsibility; Any action that Dog makes positive or negative, I believe the Owner should be held fully accountable.
    I have not heard of, nor do I know Ovcherka owners who have expressed that the Ovcherka is aggressive with the owners, but do express that small children MUST NOT be left alone with a dog this big, for obvious reasons.

A dog like this, must be obtained as a puppy, and requires that the owner be very professional in interaction , raising, but also in knowledge of the Dog, an Alpha personality is required as with all dogs, this one just happens to not be an ankle biter, but is easily able to kill fully grown men with ease.

A breed such as the ovcherka is not a city dog, and some also suggest not a dog made for the heat, or hot areas.

From my knowledge, from speaking with owners of these breed-type, they are very loyal and intelligent. They understand who the bad guy is, and who is not i.e. if the owner does not have a problem with the stranger, than neither will the dog.

That's hearsay though, not from my experience. You do bring up issues of concern, that must be considered with not just Ovcherkas but all dogs.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Leo is the complete opposite. I took him to my friends house on Saturday and ended up having to leave him in the house...While the sun was going down we were setting off bottle rockets and my dog was going CRAZY. Every hair on his back was standing up and he was on top of the bottle growling and barking.

If you turned your head for a second, he'd grab the brick of bottle rockets and hide them at the other side of the yard.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    She did fine with the mortars but didn't like the screeching from the fountains.. I had to take her by the leash and make her sit next to me during those.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Certain GSD's are going to have a poor predisposition in how they act to loud noises. This issue is due to poor breeding standards over the last century in some bloodlines. This is best helped/change while they are very young, but past the age of their inner ear growth. (3-5 months) After that, they might get used to a certain type of 'bang" you do in a certain setting, but they will never be fully equipped for all sounds in all environments. So if you really want them to be versatile, then train them young. However, there are still always gonna be those timid ones that will never adapt no matter how hard you try, and those particular types should NOT be bred as adults.

If caught by a breeder, this trait can be taken out of the genetics over about 4 generations, but isn't easy.

The most important thing a GSD can do for your family is protect you with their visible and audible self. They are very loyal to their pack. But more importantly they are highly alert to anything/anyone that comes near what they consider their dwelling. That alone will stop most "bad guys" from continuing their shenanigans. Someone mentioned big dogs and food aggression with little kids above when you have a trained working dog....

Some things to consider. A GSD in particular only recognizes one "alpha male" in a household. They will listen to commands given by other family members, but not nearly as well as by the alpha. They won't give right of way to other members like they will the alpha male in the house. This includes food. Food aggression is highly likely in GSD's. Especially female GSD's near heat.. They do show restraint though by growling in most cases first, but don't think they won't take a nip at a little one if they feel they need to.

As for a working dog..... If it is a properly trained working dog it will NEVER break it's role in the house or any other setting. If it is trained like it is supposed to, you will probably not have it in situations at home where any problems can occur in the first place. The owner learns as much if not more than the dog when it comes to training. And the owner is usually the one at fault with poor training when a dog does something not desired.

To want a GSD that works more aggressive than the normal family "watchdog" invites accidents/lawsuits to happen if in a neighborhood setting. Do what you want, but I have seen it happen over and over again. Remember the GSD has the second hardest bite of the dog world.(Behind rott's) However, they are considered the 3rd most intelligent breed, so train early and train well or you will find them running your house later in life.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Certain GSD's are going to have a poor predisposition in how they act to loud noises. This issue is due to poor breeding standards over the last century in some bloodlines. This is best helped/change while they are very young, but past the age of their inner ear growth. (3-5 months) After that, they might get used to a certain type of 'bang" you do in a certain setting, but they will never be fully equipped for all sounds in all environments. So if you really want them to be versatile, then train them young. However, there are still always gonna be those timid ones that will never adapt no matter how hard you try, and those particular types should NOT be bred as adults.

If caught by a breeder, this trait can be taken out of the genetics over about 4 generations, but isn't easy.

The most important thing a GSD can do for your family is protect you with their visible and audible self. They are very loyal to their pack. But more importantly they are highly alert to anything/anyone that comes near what they consider their dwelling. That alone will stop most "bad guys" from continuing their shenanigans. Someone mentioned big dogs and food aggression with little kids above when you have a trained working dog....

Some things to consider. A GSD in particular only recognizes one "alpha male" in a household. They will listen to commands given by other family members, but not nearly as well as by the alpha. They won't give right of way to other members like they will the alpha male in the house. This includes food. Food aggression is highly likely in GSD's. Especially female GSD's near heat.. They do show restraint though by growling in most cases first, but don't think they won't take a nip at a little one if they feel they need to.

As for a working dog..... If it is a properly trained working dog it will NEVER break it's role in the house or any other setting. If it is trained like it is supposed to, you will probably not have it in situations at home where any problems can occur in the first place. The owner learns as much if not more than the dog when it comes to training. And the owner is usually the one at fault with poor training when a dog does something not desired.

To want a GSD that works more aggressive than the normal family "watchdog" invites accidents/lawsuits to happen if in a neighborhood setting. Do what you want, but I have seen it happen over and over again. Remember the GSD has the second hardest bite of the dog world.(Behind rott's) However, they are considered the 3rd most intelligent breed, so train early and train well or you will find them running your house later in life.

While I agree with pretty much everything you said, I don't think a puppy freaking out to some fireworks has as much to do with breed standards as it does seeing an inanimate object move and make noise for the first time.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    my mutt laid next to me and went to sleep while the fireworks were going off. We were about 30 feet from a fireworks show bigger than most cities put on

Top Bottom