• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    From my expereince most of the color changes take place in the first 6 months to a year. Patterns don't seam to change as much as the color.

After 3-6 months I can get a good idea what color but at 8 weeks its all most impossible.

Sorry to thread jack 40cal, but I have a a couple of colors/patterns questions for USMC and I don't want to bog down the site with another thread...Bare with me for just a second and I'll get out of your hair.:D

Beautiful puppy BTW.:yesway:

USMC,

Here is my puppy the day I got him(6 weeks 18 lbs)

DSCN5197.jpg

DSCN5178.jpg

It's hard to see, but his "beard" is basically two small patches on each side of his face and basically nothing connecting them(maybe a faint brown line) and his chest had two dime sized brown dots.

Here is Leonidas at ~5 1/2 months(60+ lbs)

DSC_0977.jpg

DSC_0912.jpg

The breeder labeled him as a black and red with a saddle, but left the AKC forms blank so I could mail them in later and have a more accurate description, because you can never be sure at that age.

You can't see it in the pictures, but he has a lot more brown on his under carriage than it looks.

Do you think his pattern is done changing? I originally wanted a black and red with a saddle(hence, why I bought him:)), but now looking at him, I kind of hope his pattern doesn't change.

Will that tan turn red? If you look at his paws from when he was a pup to 5 months, you can definitely see that his paws were tan and now they are red...I'm just wondering it goes from black, to tan, to finally red.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I've never really owned a dog. Our family had one or two of them when I was so little that I do not really remember it. I just wish we lived out in the country and had enough room for a dog to roam... I absolutely do not want a dog in my house but wouldn't mind having one hearty enough to stay outside even in the winter... I'll probably just wait until (if) I move out into the country.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Well since we are throwing up pictures of Critters Here's Lucy. Shes a lab and chesepeake bay retriever mix.

when I first got her
    S7300686-1.jpg

about 4 months old
    S7300782.jpg

A couple Hours ago
    DSCF0095.jpg

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I will be so glad when I move to a place that actually has a yard. I will be getting me a German Shepard. They are so loyal and learn so fast.

Nice pics guys, glad you shared your babies.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I will be so glad when I move to a place that actually has a yard. I will be getting me a German Shepard. They are so loyal and learn so fast.

Nice pics guys, glad you shared your babies.

Hands down the best bread, IMO.

More than big enough to subdue an attacker, 2nd(or 3rd) smartest breed and there isn't a breed out there more loyal(maybe equal, but not more).

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Hands down the best bread, IMO.

More than big enough to subdue an attacker, 2nd(or 3rd) smartest breed and there isn't a breed out there more loyal(maybe equal, but not more).

Before I got Lucy I had the chance to get a GSD but the apartment complex aid it was a "dangerous" breed.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Sorry to thread jack 40cal, but I have a a couple of colors/patterns questions for USMC and I don't want to bog down the site with another thread...Bare with me for just a second and I'll get out of your hair.:D

Beautiful puppy BTW.:yesway:

USMC,

Here is my puppy the day I got him(6 weeks 18 lbs)

DSCN5197.jpg

DSCN5178.jpg

It's hard to see, but his "beard" is basically two small patches on each side of his face and basically nothing connecting them(maybe a faint brown line) and his chest had two dime sized brown dots.

Here is Leonidas at ~5 1/2 months(60+ lbs)

DSC_0977.jpg

DSC_0912.jpg

The breeder labeled him as a black and red with a saddle, but left the AKC forms blank so I could mail them in later and have a more accurate description, because you can never be sure at that age.

You can't see it in the pictures, but he has a lot more brown on his under carriage than it looks.

Do you think his pattern is done changing? I originally wanted a black and red with a saddle(hence, why I bought him:)), but now looking at him, I kind of hope his pattern doesn't change.

Will that tan turn red? If you look at his paws from when he was a pup to 5 months, you can definitely see that his paws were tan and now they are red...I'm just wondering it goes from black, to tan, to finally red.

Good looking dog!!! Lots of black and black muzzle. As far as the brown turning red, If the parents have a lot red I would say he will get red. His saddle covers more than the typical saddle and his all black face are traits a lot of breeders look for. I wouldn't expect the pattern to change much but the brown will get reder.

Seriously now that you have had him for a few months if he turned pink or purple you still would want to keep him wouldn't you? :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Before I got Lucy I had the chance to get a GSD but the apartment complex aid it was a "dangerous" breed.

They are only dangerous to bad people. Try to come in my house uninvited or touch my son in a threatening manor. You bet they are dangerous. Come in as guest and before you know it they want to play with you.

I really believe the hype on dangerous breeds is :poop:. Its all about the owners and how they raise them. Anybody that would say the breed German Shepherd Dog is a dangerous breed obviously does not know or like dogs of any breed.
    Pit bulls are another misconseption. If ownwer breeds them to fight, keeps them on chains and teases them, then yes they are a dangerous breed. That can be said about any breed. All dogs from muts to pure breed will behave accordingly to how their human owners treat them. Just my :twocents:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Good looking dog!!! Lots of black and black muzzle. As far as the brown turning red, If the parents have a lot red I would say he will get red.

Thanks. His mom has a "blanket" and a silver undercarriage. His Dad is Black and Red with a traditional saddle.

His saddle covers more than the typical saddle and his all black face are traits a lot of breeders look for.

Why are those traits breeders look for?

I wouldn't expect the pattern to change much but the brown will get reder.

Good deal. Like I said before, I originally wanted a saddle, but looking at him now all I want to change is his size...Which changes on a daily basis.:D

I'm seriously going to have to watch his weight once he's fully grown...I read in a GSD magazine that when they are 6 months old, they weigh half as much as they will when they are full grown...If that is the case, I'm looking at him weighing 120+ lbs and I don't want a dog that can't move when he's 9.

Seriously now that you have had him for a few months if he turned pink or purple you still would want to keep him wouldn't you? :D

Busted.:)

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Why are those traits breeders look for?

With conforming show dogs these are the some of the traits the judges look at for the breed.
    They like big heads, black muzzles, saddle or sable not realy a preference.

One thing you will notice on GSD is the gate.
    American GSD will have a slanted gate - these are preferred show dogs
    German GSD will not have an exaggerated gate. - these are preferred working dogs.

I like the working dog plus I don't see to much hip problems with the German type.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    With conforming show dogs these are the some of the traits the judges look at for the breed.
    They like big heads, black muzzles, saddle or sable not realy a preference.

One thing you will notice on GSD is the gate.
    American GSD will have a slanted gate - these are preferred show dogs
    German GSD will not have an exaggerated gate. - these are preferred working dogs.

I like the working dog plus I don't see to much hip problems with the German type.

I'm not a big fan of sable either. I don't necessarily prefer a specific pattern on a GSD, but I like bold, separated colors...Sables kind of look like they are dirty.

I was always under the impression that the German GSD had the slanted gate and the American GSD was the one with the tall back...Thanks for clarifying.

Leonidas is definitely German then, he hardly has any slant to his "gate" at all and more energy than I know what to do with.

My criteria when looking for my puppy were as follows(in no particular order):

1. Big head, big muzzle(I hate pointy noses).
    2. Black and Red
    3. A gate that isn't slanted.
    4. Huge paws.
    5. Male.

I'd say I got all of those things.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    ^^^That's a pretty pup right there!!! Does she ever leave your lil' angel's side?

So here is Leo after a fresh bath tonight...

(Don't mind the battle scar over his eye, that'll be growing back soon:n00b:)
    DSC_3544.jpg

DSC_3548.jpg

$o, when are we gonna breed them???:):

BTW, those pictures don't do him any justice; he's massive(7 1/2 months and ~75 lbs.)

Top Bottom