• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Why is it when people talk about black sporting rifles they immediately go to this shtf training scenario? There is maybe a thousandth of a percent that this scenario would ever play out, even then there will be maybe .01 percent of the population that is truly trained and ready. Much more likely and practical training is shooting off a bench to take out the rabid dog 40 yards of in a field, or maybe shooting a carbine competition. Or popping a can off of a fence post before your buddy hours it. Training for shtf is mostly fantasy played out. Even then we could take it further and say anyone who doesn't volunteer with the ypf and get real world shtf training is un prepared. People shoot ars because they are fun to shoot practical defense weapons with cheap ammo, not because they are readying themselves for the Russians to March on Indy.
    Yeah and that's my point. There are those that just want to go out and have some fun shooting firearms occasionally for whatever reason and there really is no need for them to run anything high end. Then there are those that seek to step it up a notch and get into the whole training regimen on a regular basis for whatever reason that should indeed be investing more money into their kit.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My first AR has exactly 100 rounds through it. It had a 100 round break in procedure to follow. By the time I was done following that religiously, I was so peeved I never shot it again. First 10 rounds were one shot trips to the range and then home for a cleaning. I should have cleaned it at the range but just didn't like that idea.

wow. So much myth embodied in that practice.

For everyone else, be advised that your soft gilding metal jackets are doing nothing measurable to a chrome lined barrel in a few hundred rounds.

The only barrels that show effects of "break in" are cheap barrels of poor quality and it's not "break in" but "crud accumulation" that is driving the initial results. A premium quality barrel is so smooth and well made that no additional smoothing is necessary or measurable. And it cleans effortlessly. Things like the "David Tubb Final Finish" or whatever are for repairing/band aid, not making a good barrel better. (IMO)

If the barrel has tooling marks and other such, it will accumulate more crud and at a faster rate. And if you clean it thoroughly enough, you have undone all the "break in". Only after you have worn off the poor internal finish a bit will you notice a difference, and this is a high-round-count phenomenon.

It's useful to put this in the context of an AR. We're talking 1 MOA to half MOA is what the BEST ARs (space guns) will do in most cases, but with the vast majority of even premium ARs being 1-1.5MOA guns on a good day with handloads. (95% confidence assumed)

So if one is going to obsess about break in for accuracy, an AR is probably the last place to do it.

Break in for an AR shouldn't be about break in at all, it should be about reliability demonstration. Does it run? With any and all ammo? When dirty? How fast does it get dirty?

I'm firmly in the "lube often and sparingly, clean rarely" camp.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Yeah and that's my point. There are those that just want to go out and have some fun shooting firearms occasionally for whatever reason and there really is no need for them to run anything high end. Then there are those that seek to step it up a notch and get into the whole training regimen on a regular basis for whatever reason that should indeed be investing more money into their kit.

Thank you. Somebody that won't flame me for paying $380 for a complete AR. It goes bang every time. Feeds another round every time. Oh yeah. It is really accurate to boot. I really like my crap AR. And I can afford to have 3 of them, plus optics and ammo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thank you. Somebody that won't flame me for paying $380 for a complete AR. It goes bang every time. Feeds another round every time. Oh yeah. It is really accurate to boot. I really like my crap AR. And I can afford to have 3 of them, plus optics and ammo.

Absolutely no knock on your choices and budget but why oh why have 3 crap cheap rifles.
    I keep 1 myself. I call it the ammo hose. It is the BIL gun. If you come shooting with me and do not own/but want to run an AR that is the one you get to mag up and run. Reason being almost to the man/woman they do not get 5 rounds out before they become Mr rapid fire. They just can not help themselves or so it seems.

Cool. Have a blast. With the "Ammo Hose".....:laugh:

I get to run my guns hard. You do not. Unless I say run it hard.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Absolutely no knock on your choices and budget but why oh why have 3 crap cheap rifles.
    I keep 1 myself. I call it the ammo hose. It is the BIL gun. If you come shooting with me and do not own/but want to run an AR that is the one you get to mag up and run. Reason being almost to the man/woman they do not get 5 rounds out before they become Mr rapid fire. They just can not help themselves or so it seems.

Cool. Have a blast. With the "Ammo Hose".....:laugh:

I get to run my guns hard. You do not. Unless I say run it hard.

I am more old school with my firearms. I have only had AR's for the last 2 to 3 years. I have not had one fail yet. When I do, I will have a reason to upgrade. At this point, I have no reason. The last one I bought for the purpose of selling sometime later.

Best answer. Check post #114

If I had read post #82 I would not have replied at all...unless maybe to ask if a BCM BCG would improve my "junk" PSA?

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Question for the AR experts. Is an AR-Stoner BCG anywhere near the quality of a BCM BCG?

Not quite. But the attached has ran more than 200 slowfire rounds of 300blk over the last 2 years with no issues. Problem with AR stoner is that Midway just brands whatever they get their hands on. Some batches good, some not so good, but Midway will generally make it right if it's wrong.

You'll see the finish is nice still, the staking leaves something to be desired, but they are still tight and torqued.

CTxDdJb.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am more old school with my firearms. I have only had AR's for the last 2 to 3 years. I have not had one fail yet. When I do, I will have a reason to upgrade. At this point, I have no reason. The last one I bought for the purpose of selling sometime later.

If I had read post #82 I would not have replied at all...unless maybe to ask if a BCM BCG would improve my "junk" PSA?

Good solid points.
    I guess I am just a bit nuts when it comes to my passions.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nobody. PSA Premium BCGs are good to go. The rest, I wouldn’t trust. But you can always keep a back up BCG laying around. Toolcraft is GTG and has been selling for under $70. That’s cheap insurance.

If you already have an AR, as long as it’s mil-spec(ish), just replace parts as they fail. That’s the beauty of the AR. They’re easily serviced and modular.

ARs are the only platform I’ve never sold. They just get parts changed out.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Nobody. PSA Premium BCGs are good to go. The rest, I wouldn’t trust. But you can always keep a back up BCG laying around. Toolcraft is GTG and has been selling for under $70. That’s cheap insurance.

If you already have an AR, as long as it’s mil-spec(ish), just replace parts as they fail. That’s the beauty of the AR. They’re easily serviced and modular.

ARs are the only platform I’ve never sold. They just get parts changed out.

Thanks. Good info. When I bought my first AR, an M&P 15 sport, I had done some research, INGO included, said they where good to go. Then I bought the PSA because I wanted a back up, and I saw a lot more good reviews than bad. This last one was kind of an impulse buy because they were so cheap. I thought I could sell it later, or maybe somebody else might need one if things got really ugly. The more people I could arm the better. Stupid I know...but we all get strange ideas at times. I will buy a spare BCG, and at the least have spare parts if one breaks. The AR platform is not something I was ever really that interested in, so putting lots of money into it never seemed that important. I don't shoot them that often. I remember shooting my brothers Colt 30 years ago for the first time, after being used to bolt actions, shotguns and M1 Garands. All I could think of was it felt like a toy. Boingy, boingy, boingy. Hated that carry handle sight too. I am warming up to them now.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    A light coating of grease on the buffer spring and inside of the buffer tube makes the "Boingy, boingy, boingy" go away.

I wouldn't be so quick to state this. Carried them professionally for too many years to count and any new AR spring will 'boing' until it settles in, grease or not. A new A2 is really noticeable.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Ive never bought a AR15 in one piece ,I see the prices of assembled in any brand and just could never do it when I can part a better one together and save at least 300$ or much more , 223 Gunner your right as can be. My 1st match rifle was 27 years ago and since then the quality parts world has exploded, now I cant stop ,so many ways to do it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom