• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the prices are that off, I wonder how current the other info can be.

I do not rely on such info. There is enough real world knowledge out there if one just gets involved.
    My spouse has decided to sell the AR I built for her last year as it is a bit heavy for her. It is not all "Top" shelf parts but it is a very nice rifle and it runs like a scalded dog. I would take it into the fray if need be. Thing is, the market dictates worth. And right now the market says I will loose my tail on it. Put that on a list please.

It is not always in a list or a link.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Looks like my $500 S&W M&P15A* does pretty well on "the chart". It has a factory quad rail, so heat shields are irrelevant. 1:9 twist is better for me than 1:7 as we use 55gr bullets at work. Carbine vs heavy buffer isn't a big deal, and if someone wants a heavy buffer they are cheap. The only difference is barrel steel, and there's no way I'll ever shoot enough to wear out a chrome lined 4140 barrel.

Wow, I guess it *is* JAGA... :D

*In fairness, that's the used price, bought a LE trade in gun from CDNN. New they were $900-$1k.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What if you don't own an AR and still think M4C is a waste of server space?
    What if you own only DD, BCM, etc. and still think M4C is a waste of server space?

I submit that one's opinion of the merit or lack thereof of content on M4C is independent of one's brand selection.
    rhino gets it. My comment that was previously referenced to had nothing to do with the hierarcy of ARs.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I enjoy arfcom for a lot of reasons, mainly the extensive ar picture and parts information. M4c to a lesser extent but there's a few good people there too. Pretty sure it's been said 500 times in this thread but there are ar15s for everyone. You need to gauge your need versus price, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I enjoy arfcom for a lot of reasons, mainly the extensive ar picture and parts information. M4c to a lesser extent but there's a few good people there too. Pretty sure it's been said 500 times in this thread but there are ar15s for everyone. You need to gauge your need versus price, etc.

Exactly. How many rounds does the average (no knock) AR owner actually shoot in a year. How are they shot. Ran hard or just easy peasy target usage.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My first AR has exactly 100 rounds through it. It had a 100 round break in procedure to follow. By the time I was done following that religiously, I was so peeved I never shot it again. First 10 rounds were one shot trips to the range and then home for a cleaning. I should have cleaned it at the range but just didn't like that idea.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My first AR has exactly 100 rounds through it. It had a 100 round break in procedure to follow. By the time I was done following that religiously, I was so peeved I never shot it again. First 10 rounds were one shot trips to the range and then home for a cleaning. I should have cleaned it at the range but just didn't like that idea.

I have my own break in procedures....and they work....:):

Admittedly my last year has been seriously void of available time to run my guns. Life has a way of putting itself up front. I intend to change this very soon if possible. But I am confident that anything AR related I pull from the safe will run on demand as long as I demand it to.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Is this for real? No way I would put up with that nonsense to break in a barrel.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Most casual shooters that fire 100 flawless rounds and call it GTG would be toast in a SHTF scenario anyway. Does'nt matter if they have a high end AR or not. There is a huge market intentionally directed at those kind of AR consumers. They just want to enjoy the casual trip to the range without being weighed down with having to concentrate on surviving combat.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Most casual shooters that fire 100 flawless rounds and call it GTG would be toast in a SHTF scenario anyway. Does'nt matter if they have a high end AR or not. There is a huge market intentionally directed at those kind of AR consumers. They just want to enjoy the casual trip to the range without being weighed down with having to concentrate on surviving combat.

Why is it when people talk about black sporting rifles they immediately go to this shtf training scenario? There is maybe a thousandth of a percent that this scenario would ever play out, even then there will be maybe .01 percent of the population that is truly trained and ready. Much more likely and practical training is shooting off a bench to take out the rabid dog 40 yards of in a field, or maybe shooting a carbine competition. Or popping a can off of a fence post before your buddy hours it. Training for shtf is mostly fantasy played out. Even then we could take it further and say anyone who doesn't volunteer with the ypf and get real world shtf training is un prepared. People shoot ars because they are fun to shoot practical defense weapons with cheap ammo, not because they are readying themselves for the Russians to March on Indy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Exactly. How many rounds does the average (no knock) AR owner actually shoot in a year. How are they shot. Ran hard or just easy peasy target usage.

When I had the combination of time, motivation, and relatively cheap 5.56x45mm ammo, I shot the crap out of my rifle in training, practice, and 3-gun matches. It's an old Bushmaster lower and an early Doublestar lightweight upper that was driven hard for a few years, but gave excellent service each and every time I called upon it. A couple of years ago before a two-gun match, I found the gas key was loosey goosey even though it looked like it had been staked properly (clearly it had not). I have a new carrier group to replace it, but I need to just restake the screws on that carrier.

Now, I'm lucky to get it to the range once or twice a year. Still works every time (I keep it lubed, but I don't clean it) and I can still do all of the skills (just more s-l-w-l-), I still remember to holdover on close targets, and and I can still shoot one for one 10 inch steel at 200 and 240 yards . Unless my life changes dramatically, it's unlikely I'll ever wear-out any major component of my rifle.

Given all that, my next upper (if I ever get one) will be BCM.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why is it when people talk about black sporting rifles they immediately go to this shtf training scenario? There is maybe a thousandth of a percent that this scenario would ever play out, even then there will be maybe .01 percent of the population that is truly trained and ready. Much more likely and practical training is shooting off a bench to take out the rabid dog 40 yards of in a field, or maybe shooting a carbine competition. Or popping a can off of a fence post before your buddy hours it. Training for shtf is mostly fantasy played out. Even then we could take it further and say anyone who doesn't volunteer with the ypf and get real world shtf training is un prepared. People shoot ars because they are fun to shoot practical defense weapons with cheap ammo, not because they are readying themselves for the Russians to March on Indy.
    We have been waiting for the Russians. No sign of them yet.

Top Bottom