• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Most ARs that I've seen be junk are BCG/bolt issues. Personally I did have a problem with one going down, one of the pins was walking out. Shooting and all of the sudden the trigger is dead because the hammer pin pushed out to one side a bit and it got everything bound up when it was not longer holding things in place. I threw KNS pins kit on it and it's been flawless for years now.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I can't handle a 20"....it's just too long and bangs around into stuff inside the house. Knocked the lamp over the other day with it. :D

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    PSA Premium mp/HPT with a standard mi-spec phosphate finish???

Those are well known to be tool craft if so. They’re straight mil-spec and are issued to the .gov for use in m4’s. I’d trust those as much as a bcm, Noveske, dd, LMT, or other quality BCG.

Anything other than PSA Premium with the standard mil-spec phosphate finish, I would absolutely not trust and put it in the “range toy” category.

Toolcraft only provides carriers to the .gov not bolts. There is thread on M4Carbine about that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My BCM was picked up yesterday. Now I need to figure out optics (no sights came with at all), sling, any other accessories....

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Correct. Toolcraft doesn't make bolts themselves. However, the bolts that come with their BCG's are top of the line and well known to be high quality.

Toolcraft only provides carriers to the .gov not bolts. There is thread on M4Carbine about that.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    PSA Premium mp/HPT with a standard mi-spec phosphate finish???

Those are well known to be tool craft if so. They’re straight mil-spec and are issued to the .gov for use in m4’s. I’d trust those as much as a bcm, Noveske, dd, LMT, or other quality BCG.

Anything other than PSA Premium with the standard mil-spec phosphate finish, I would absolutely not trust and put it in the “range toy” category.

Did you mean any PSA unit other than PSA premium? Other non-PSA carriers I'd say are worthy of consideration, even if they lack the mil-spec phosphate.

I see nothing wrong with a hard chrome carrier if done properly to prevent embrittlement.

There's an inherent tradeoff with mil-spec. On one hand you have proven and known, but lowest common denominator. On the other, you have uncertainty but possibly far greater tech and performance.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Who?

Those bolts DO back out from time to time if not properly staked.

That being said.....The internet has made a big deal over cosmetics of gas key bolt staking. I've seen a lot of staking that was fine that people were questioning.

There are some VERY knowledgeable people who think the staking is completely unnecessary.

I wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    PSA premium phosphate is all I'd trust from PSA. I don't trust them to properly spec, inspect, test, etc... a non-mil-spec coating. Like you mention, you can run into embrittlement, adhesion, etc... issues. As always, you may buy one from PSA with an odd coating, and it may work perfectly for you. But with BCG's, it's a statistics and numbers game. I personally want one in my gun that I know has a VERY low failure rate. Because if your BCG goes down, you're SOL.

I do trust some non-mil-spec BCG's. But not from PSA. For example, the Sionics NP3 and Youngs Chrome BCG's are EXCELLENT. And I agree. Mil-spec is the LOWEST spec I want in my guns. There is better stuff out there. But there is also a lot of snake oil, and if you don't want to wade through a pile of garbage to figure out what's actually good.....mil-spec is always there ready to go. Mil-spec is tested and a known quantity.

Did you mean any PSA unit other than PSA premium? Other non-PSA carriers I'd say are worthy of consideration, even if they lack the mil-spec phosphate.

I see nothing wrong with a hard chrome carrier if done properly to prevent embrittlement.

There's an inherent tradeoff with mil-spec. On one hand you have proven and known, but lowest common denominator. On the other, you have uncertainty but possibly far greater tech and performance.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There are some VERY knowledgeable people who think the staking is completely unnecessary.

I wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

Well they can keep their knowledge for themselves. I've seen what poor staking leads to. So I will stay with what I've experienced personally and not what some other Very knowledgeable person thinks. I'm never done learning but I'm pretty confident in what i have learned thus far.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    IIRC, they use some heavy duty thread locker and have tested their solution pretty well. Just a different way to skin a cat. I’d trust a Young’s BCG. They’ve been in the game making high quality BCGs for a LONG time and definitely aren’t “clowns.”

Pretty much any other BCG manufacturer than Young’s, I wouldn’t trust something that isn’t properly staked.

Top Bottom