• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm in the middle of an Aero build. Amazing fit of upper/lower-- better than my DD, actually.

I'm right now spending a lot of time thinking about where it makes sense to spend money. There are lots of things in AR world that you can spend money on without getting much (if anything) in return for the premium above generic mil-spec.

Mil spec triggers suck at pretty much everything except durability. Every penny you spend in trigger upgrades gets you nearly zero in reliability or durability. For a match rifle, that $300 trigger is surely worth considering. For a combat or duty rifle or SHTF EOTWAWKI rifle? Save the money. Or go cheap with an ALG or similar.

Buttstocks, too. Spend as much as it takes to get a well-made one. More adjustments and screws and "features" are often failure points. Maybe a basic fixed A2 isn't so bad? The new BCM looks like a winner and is only $60.

Do you really need a $300 handguard full floated and all that? Yes, if you have to have ultimate accuracy. But if you are OK with minute-of-man, probably a basic USGI arrangement will suffice. This is an easy area to save some cash.

Likewise with muzzle devices. Everyone has a favorite. But you will never beat an A2 birdcage for effectiveness-per-dollar. As a flash hider, it works. And if you *need* a brake on a 5.56 gas gun, you probably need to work on recoil management.

Where to spend money then? IMO, barrel, bolt, bcg, and gas block is the place to splurge enough to get a good one. Arguably, you need not go big dollar on the barrel. Maybe a Faxon is just as good as that $300 FNH. But there's a world of difference in reliability history between them. Maybe that's worth it.

Gas blocks seem to be an endless source of function problems. Get a good one that's installed PROPERLY and you'll not regret it.

Another place to spend money is probably opting for an A5 buffer setup. The improvement in dwell (and hence reliability) is great, and shooting smoothness is way better. Score one for a system that offers really no downside but cost. And with the BCM A5 setup, it's hardly a big-spending endeavor.

Every build I attempt in the future will have A5.

Likewise, if you this is a hell-and-back rifle, you can't pretend your Bushnell TRS-25 is as tough as an Aimpoint. And your irons better be decent ones that can be trusted absolutely. Yes, troys weigh more, but if you can't aim, you can't hit. Don't cheap on the irons.

The converse is also true. For a plinking toy, that Primary arms or Strike Eagle is just fine. Plastic MBUS are OK. No doubt, that faxon barrel will serve well.

ARs are like tires-- one that is setup to be the ultimate in one thing will suck at the others. Race slicks suck in wet weather. Off road tires are loud and don't last. A cheap rifle isn't the toughest or most durable or the most reliable.

We've all heard that maxim about "fast, good, or cheap, pick 2."

But in the AR world, it's "weight, accuracy, reliability, or cost, pick 3"

Sorry for the rambling stream of consciousness..
    Pretty good synopsis. I would add buying the BCM LPK with their PNT Trigger gets you a very good parts kit, and a better than average Mil-spec trigger for not much money!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I ended up buying the Geissele LPK because I wanted to keep my options open on triggers and Geissele is on the "shortest list" with BCM. If this ends up a "duty" lower, I'll probably go ALG. Otherwise, probably a SD-E or NM trigger. Love the Geissele flat bows based on my experience with the SD3G.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm in the middle of an Aero build. Amazing fit of upper/lower-- better than my DD, actually.

I'm right now spending a lot of time thinking about where it makes sense to spend money. There are lots of things in AR world that you can spend money on without getting much (if anything) in return for the premium above generic mil-spec.

Mil spec triggers suck at pretty much everything except durability. Every penny you spend in trigger upgrades gets you nearly zero in reliability or durability. For a match rifle, that $300 trigger is surely worth considering. For a combat or duty rifle or SHTF EOTWAWKI rifle? Save the money. Or go cheap with an ALG or similar.

Buttstocks, too. Spend as much as it takes to get a well-made one. More adjustments and screws and "features" are often failure points. Maybe a basic fixed A2 isn't so bad? The new BCM looks like a winner and is only $60.

Do you really need a $300 handguard full floated and all that? Yes, if you have to have ultimate accuracy. But if you are OK with minute-of-man, probably a basic USGI arrangement will suffice. This is an easy area to save some cash.

Likewise with muzzle devices. Everyone has a favorite. But you will never beat an A2 birdcage for effectiveness-per-dollar. As a flash hider, it works. And if you *need* a brake on a 5.56 gas gun, you probably need to work on recoil management.

Where to spend money then? IMO, barrel, bolt, bcg, and gas block is the place to splurge enough to get a good one. Arguably, you need not go big dollar on the barrel. Maybe a Faxon is just as good as that $300 FNH. But there's a world of difference in reliability history between them. Maybe that's worth it.

Gas blocks seem to be an endless source of function problems. Get a good one that's installed PROPERLY and you'll not regret it.

Another place to spend money is probably opting for an A5 buffer setup. The improvement in dwell (and hence reliability) is great, and shooting smoothness is way better. Score one for a system that offers really no downside but cost. And with the BCM A5 setup, it's hardly a big-spending endeavor.

Every build I attempt in the future will have A5.

Likewise, if you this is a hell-and-back rifle, you can't pretend your Bushnell TRS-25 is as tough as an Aimpoint. And your irons better be decent ones that can be trusted absolutely. Yes, troys weigh more, but if you can't aim, you can't hit. Don't cheap on the irons.

The converse is also true. For a plinking toy, that Primary arms or Strike Eagle is just fine. Plastic MBUS are OK. No doubt, that faxon barrel will serve well.

ARs are like tires-- one that is setup to be the ultimate in one thing will suck at the others. Race slicks suck in wet weather. Off road tires are loud and don't last. A cheap rifle isn't the toughest or most durable or the most reliable.

We've all heard that maxim about "fast, good, or cheap, pick 2."

But in the AR world, it's "weight, accuracy, reliability, or cost, pick 3"

Sorry for the rambling stream of consciousness..

I actually like a non-collapsible butt stock. GI triggers have worked for me just fine.

I do cry a little bit paying for optics. I just got an Aimpoint PRO for my rifle, and :crying:.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm pretty impressed with the Aero upper & lower I have as well. I'll be looking for a couple more. Tips on where to find some @ a LGS around Indy welcome.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I'm pretty impressed with the Aero upper & lower I have as well. I'll be looking for a couple more. Tips on where to find some @ a LGS around Indy welcome.

I bought my Aero Lower @ Bradis for $79.95. It was the best price around after stopping by a couple of other shops in the area.

johny5

not a shill account
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Personally my favorite is the guy who buys the top tier rifle and optic but can't shoot for ****.Like the guy who shows up to a band audition with a $5000 Les Paul and Marshall full stack but can't play anything but power chords.

This!

Also, lots of disparaging remarks about this or that platform being "junk". Most of there rifles are far more accurate than their shooters, far more rugged than their environment, far more durable than their duty, and far more reliable than their calling. I really enjoy firearms, but armchair warriors wear me out.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This!

Also, lots of disparaging remarks about this or that platform being "junk". Most of there rifles are for more accurate than their shooters. far more rugged than their environment, far more durable than their duty, and far more reliable than their calling. I really enjoy firearms, but armchair warriors wear me out.
    Spoken by a guy that hasn’t taken a $400-1000 weekend class and had to sit idle while the cadre un****ed one of those same “platforms”. Gunsite, EAG, Thunder Ranch, a d others that don’t make the front page. ALL had a “JAGA” Rifle that went down hard. To be REPLACED by an in spec Colt, BCM, LMT, whatever, that had the guts and build quality to finish the class.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Spoken by a guy that hasn’t taken a $400-1000 weekend class and had to sit idle while the cadre un****ed one of those same “platforms”. Gunsite, EAG, Thunder Ranch, a d others that don’t make the front page. ALL had a “JAGA” Rifle that went down hard. To be REPLACED by an in spec Colt, BCM, LMT, whatever, that had the guts and build quality to finish the class.

Or a POS springfield 1911 in a fighting pistol class :):

johny5

not a shill account
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis

Been to those classes. Seen plenty of high-end rifles and pistols brought to grief by poor maintenance or incompetent deployment. Always an excuse for firearms with a high enough price tag.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Been to those classes. Seen plenty of high-end rifles and pistols brought to grief by poor maintenance or incompetent deployment. Always an excuse for firearms with a high enough price tag.
    Riiiight! The difference is poor maintenance can be fixed immediately, poor craftsmanship and **** parts require another firearm!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Who on here has actually had an AR quit on them? What happened?

I've only had one quit on me, and it was a Colt. But I hardly blame that old worn out thing for having a pin walk out.

Top Bottom