Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Why must this talk of other life forms always assume that they are more advanced? Perhaps the most advanced life forms on this other planet, if these unobserved life forms exist, are lizards or some heretofore un-named kingdom of creature.

Because the joke wouldn't work the other way. I think the scale is so incomprehensible, both in time and space, that if other life did evolve the odds of us being the most advanced is slim.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Who are "most"?

What view do they take?

If God's word is indeed proven incorrect then answers in genesis wouldn't be a blip on the map. Can you prove it incorrect?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Who are "most"?

What view do they take?

If God's word is indeed proven incorrect then answers in genesis wouldn't be a blip on the map. Can you prove it incorrect?

Most don't believe that discovering alien life would disprove Christianity. Most also don't believe there were Dinosaurs on the ark but that's for a different thread I suppose.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Would you believe a person that had personal first hand knowledge?
    Or is it still going to be a "IF I don't see it personally I don't believe it"
    Or is it just the odds of a possibility?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Would you believe a person that had personal first hand knowledge?
    Or is it still going to be a "IF I don't see it personally I don't believe it"
    Or is it just the odds of a possibility?

By person do you mean like Joe down the street says he got abducted or is this a NASA faked the moon landing thing where if they discover life on another planet it will be met with skepticism?

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Do I believe in other life in the Universe? ... No. Don't believe so. I do believe that we should concentrate on our life and life on our own planet. So I won't spend time debating "other life" but rather turn my thoughts and efforts toward trying to make things better in my own circle of influence.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    It would be an utter waste of real estate if we were all there was. This is the Hubble Xtreme Deep Field image. Everything you see here is a galaxy, about 10,000 of them, 200 BILLION stars each on average. And this is a very tiny sliver of sky, equivalent to looking through a straw held at arms length. As of last fall the Hubble sky surveys indicate two TRILLION galaxies in the visible universe. There can't not be other life out there. Mathematically impossible.

1024px-Hubble_ultra_deep_field_high_rez_edit1.jpg

This for sure. The odds say there is.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Who are "most"?

What view do they take?

Can you prove that I don't have an invisible miniature unicorn living in my attic?

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Steve records a brave man saying: Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easya that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Thus I'm not shocked by an opposition of a majority. Interestingly, alien life doesn't usually come up in church service. But, since this is apologetics, it requires thought. At that, "most" Christians would have to take a moor though look in the scriptures and would find them devoid of any indication of alien life in the text. They would need to reference psalm 19:7-14 to determine the sufficiency of the text. No indication for extra terrestrial life and clear indication against it..."most" should quickly come around to the given truth.

Since its not entirely a salvation issue, it doesn't need to receive as much juice, though.

Top Bottom