Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    To believe that you must first believe math has something to do with the creation of life.

Errrrrm. No I do not. Math is descriptive/predictive tool and nothing more. I find the sheer arrogance of people that categorically deny the possibility of other life to be rather breath taking. Who exactly do you think you are to tell GOD what he can and can not do?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Errrrrm. No I do not. Math is descriptive/predictive tool and nothing more. I find the sheer arrogance of people that categorically deny the possibility of other life to be rather breath taking. Who exactly do you think you are to tell GOD what he can and can not do?

Psssht. Man has been speaking for "God" ever since the concept was invented.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    df83ab73eacd94fd43a9136a2e7352b70e32fc5d

Ha! While that is a formula, that's about all we can say for it. Do you have anything that doesn't contain variables that are SWAGs? I mean, if just one of those variables (fl, for instance) is actually zero, instead of some other assigned guess, it doesn't matter how many times or by what order of magnitude you increase all the others, N still = 0.

Well played, though. :):

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

I will refer you to my earlier post to answer that.

Call me crazy but I don't think mass or matter creates life :dunno:

i think space exists to show us how tiny and inconsequential we are in the whole universe but even so are immensely special to God.

And despite the tiny little fraction of the universe we inhabit some of us still think we are Death Stars that can kill a planet :rofl:

final point is that we are to have no other God before Him, not that He shall have no other people besides us. Maybe another group of beings exists with souls. Maybe not. Doesn't matter to me.

But it seems to me the moon would have the best chance for evidence of life and we found squat.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Study anatomy, and tell me how a creature that takes water and air into the same hole is an intelligent design.

But see that's just it, it doesn't make sense in your mind, does it? What possible evolutionary advantage is there to having one hole for feeding and the same for breathing?

what evolutionary advantage did that give? It must have been freaking awesome if every human now has it. Your argument against intelligent design is actually a fantastic argument against natural selection as the origin of species.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm with woobie on this one.
    It's every bit as likely that life on distant planets is less advanced than it is here as it is to be more advanced.
    Hell, when you consider that the nearest star to us, Proxima Centauri, is over seven light years away, and that we have nothing capable of even approaching that kind of speed, and further that the overwhelming majority of stars are hundreds of light years away, I'm laying odds that direct contact with alien life is both figuratively and literally remote, unless we somehow find a way to greatly overcome the light speed barrier a la "Star Trek."
    Nice run-on sentence, eh?

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    regarding primordial goo and lightening and life and such...

if it's all so random... you need random atoms to come together to make molecules, and those molecules need to come together to make amino acids. And those amino acids need to come together and make a protein. then that protein can interact with other proteins and magically a cell happens. BUT, if everything is a swirling goo, those proteins denature, they aren't stable. Even if you get a protein, you can't do anything without it unless several other organelles randomly generated AND were in immediate vicinity of the protein. We're talking on the entire planet. You need something happening on a nanometer scale, but the random goo is happening on a globe with circumference of 40,000,000 meters. So If you get down to what it would actually take, all of the assumptions fall apart on examination.
    Can anyone do the math on how many square nanometers there are on the planet?
    If you get down to what it would actually take, all of the assumptions fall apart on examination.

The odds of that happening make it laughable :twocents:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    But see that's just it, it doesn't make sense in your mind, does it? What possible evolutionary advantage is there to having one hole for feeding and the same for breathing?

what evolutionary advantage did that give? It must have been freaking awesome if every human now has it. Your argument against intelligent design is actually a fantastic argument against natural selection as the origin of species.

No it is not. Not every feature of a species gives an evolutionary advantage. It is only necessary that enough traits give enough of an advantage for the species to thrive. It makes sense that, if we are descended from the same line as primates, we would have similar features, especially given the over 90% similarity in DNA. It does not, however, make sense that a creature made "in God's image" would have such a flaw. It is not how a competent engineer would design it.

What's next? The "banana fits perfectly in your hand" argument? :):

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    No it is not. Not every feature of a species gives an evolutionary advantage. It is only necessary that enough traits give enough of an advantage for the species to thrive. It makes sense that, if we are descended from the same line as primates, we would have similar features, especially given the over 90% similarity in DNA. It does not, however, make sense that a creature made "in God's image" would have such a flaw. It is not how a competent engineer would design it.

What's next? The "banana fits perfectly in your hand" argument? :):

why would you call it a flaw? Been working fine for us for millennia. The fact you call it a flaw speaks against natural selection.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    regarding primordial goo and lightening and life and such...

if it's all so random... you need random atoms to come together to make molecules, and those molecules need to come together to make amino acids. And those amino acids need to come together and make a protein. then that protein can interact with other proteins and magically a cell happens. BUT, if everything is a swirling goo, those proteins denature, they aren't stable. Even if you get a protein, you can't do anything without it unless several other organelles randomly generated AND were in immediate vicinity of the protein. We're talking on the entire planet. You need something happening on a nanometer scale, but the random goo is happening on a globe with circumference of 40,000,000 meters. So If you get down to what it would actually take, all of the assumptions fall apart on examination.
    Can anyone do the math on how many square nanometers there are on the planet?
    If you get down to what it would actually take, all of the assumptions fall apart on examination.

The odds of that happening make it laughable :twocents:

They've found amino acids outside of earth.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    why would you call it a flaw? Been working fine for us for millennia. The fact you call it a flaw speaks against natural selection.

I'm not saying it's a fatal flaw. I'm saying that there is certainly a better design, if you were really going to start from scratch. Which argues against an intelligent designer, not against natural selection.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My simple excel math says there's 8.43 x 10^16 square nanometers on the planet.

What are the odds that two randomly formed proteins would interact in the same square nanometer before they denatured?

Hard to estimate the odds of them forming, but if we assume they existed, the odds of them being in the SAME square nanometer would be 8.43 x 10^16 x 8.43 x 10^16 right?

So, 7.11 x 10 ^ 33,

1 in 711,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

you would have to hit those odds MILLIONS of times in quick succession to be able to make a cell.

Come on guys, use your noodles. Not possible.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My simple excel math says there's 8.43 x 10^16 square nanometers on the planet.

What are the odds that two randomly formed proteins would interact in the same square nanometer before they denatured?

Hard to estimate the odds of them forming, but if we assume they existed, the odds of them being in the SAME square nanometer would be 8.43 x 10^16 x 8.43 x 10^16 right?

So, 7.11 x 10 ^ 33,

1 in 711,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

And that's just to get two randomly formed proteins to touch. come on guys, use your noodles. Not possible.

It's also not possible for a virgin teenage girl to give birth.

Top Bottom