Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm not saying it's a fatal flaw. I'm saying that there is certainly a better design, if you were really going to start from scratch. Which argues against an intelligent designer, not against natural selection.

What if your prototype doesn't perform better as you envision it most certainly would? Would you tip your hat to the Creator, then?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It's also not possible for a virgin teenage girl to give birth.

Or to turn water into wine, or raise people from the dead. If these things were possible, they'd hardly be considered miracles, would they?

Everyone would be able to do them.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Or to turn water into wine, or raise people from the dead. If these things were possible, they'd hardly be considered miracles, would they?

Everyone would be able to do them.

Where is your evidence that any of these things happened? Other than a book that says that it's true because the book says it is true....the gold standard of circular reasoning.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My simple excel math says there's 8.43 x 10^16 square nanometers on the planet.

What are the odds that two randomly formed proteins would interact in the same square nanometer before they denatured?

Hard to estimate the odds of them forming, but if we assume they existed, the odds of them being in the SAME square nanometer would be 8.43 x 10^16 x 8.43 x 10^16 right?

So, 7.11 x 10 ^ 33,

1 in 711,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

you would have to hit those odds MILLIONS of times in quick succession to be able to make a cell.

Come on guys, use your noodles. Not possible.

You don't find anything wrong with that logic/calculation?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The smaller you make the planet the more likely you're saying the event is.
    I am saying nothing about size, other than using the radius of the earth as 6,371 meters, and small proteins being 1nm in size.
    My saying the random event several events down a random event having a 7 x 10 ^ 33 chance of happening does not sound very likely to me. And even then, that's not the chance of life. That's the chance of two proteins touching, not that they were coded to do anything when they touch. And even if they did, how do you replicate that beneficial protein? There are no ribosomes. There is no DNA/RNA. Now we're talking 7 x 10 ^ 33 multiplied a few times.
    Just. Not. Possible.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Study anatomy, and tell me how a creature that takes water and air into the same hole is an intelligent design.

I think you just admitted to being a mouth-breather.

The mouth is the secondary means of respirating, with the nose being primary. Also there is a supplemental mechanism: the skin. By limiting the number of points of entry, the outside world has less access to the mucus membranes, thus fewer infections. It's really quite ingenious. But you aren't the first bystander without the plans to criticize a brilliant design.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am saying nothing about size, other than using the radius of the earth as 6,371 meters, and small proteins being 1nm in size.
    My saying the random event several events down a random event having a 7 x 10 ^ 33 chance of happening does not sound very likely to me. And even then, that's not the chance of life. That's the chance of two proteins touching, not that they were coded to do anything when they touch. And even if they did, how do you replicate that beneficial protein? There are no ribosomes. There is no DNA/RNA. Now we're talking 7 x 10 ^ 33 multiplied a few times.
    Just. Not. Possible.
    JLudo is correct. Your formula would increase the chance as the area shrank.

You seem to be accounting for only one of each in your calculations. As the numbers of each increase, the odds of them meeting increase. Then you would have to take time into account, as your formula would account for a chance at a moment in time. Make it millions of proteins over millions of years and the odds increase greatly.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think you just admitted to being a mouth-breather.

The mouth is the secondary means of respirating, with the nose being primary. Also there is a supplemental mechanism: the skin. By limiting the number of points of entry, the outside world has less access to the mucus membranes, thus fewer infections. It's really quite ingenious. But you aren't the first bystander without the plans to criticize a brilliant design.
    They both feed into a single throat.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The smaller you make the planet the more likely you're saying the event is.

But the planet, as far as we know, has always been roughly the same size. You argument is mathematically interesting, but not pertinent to the discussion of life on earth.

Top Bottom