• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah, people were scared that's why they voted for "hope and change". They were ignorant because they didn't look at the candidates for who they are. If you listened to Palin and thought "damn Obama is better than her" than yes you are ignorant. Not an insult. Just calling it how I see it. Give me one good damn reason you voted for Obame? Can you? The reason I voted McCain/Palin--they weren't as bas as Obama.

I didn't vote for Obama so I don't have to explain anything. But even still, Obama represented a change from the status quo. At least that's what he was trying to get people to believe. I don't blame people for wanting something different, who would want Bush? The 8 years under Bush saw this country go from the prosperous 90s to on the verge of a recession in the late 00s.

I just find it a bit hypocritical when people who voted for Bush (me too), claim that Obama is ruining the country when Bush was mashing the gas on a hemi powered challenger towards a brick wall for 8 years. Its comical that some can defend one of them simply because they are in the party they follow. This is precisely why we are in the BS we are in. People arent willing to call a spade a spade no matter what party they are in. Both Bush and Obama were/are historically bad.

But hey I must be ignorant because as much as I want Obama out, I would rather have him than Palin. I would never want a quitter and sellout as my President.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    You're joking right?

No. I'm not. I answered truthfully, which I thought was the point of this thread. I also wasn't lying when I said I didn't fall for the "hope and change" BS. That isn't what sold me, it was the fact that, in my eyes, Palin had a chance of being in office at some point which was a greater evil in my eyes.

You saw Palin as a threat, yet not Obama and Biden? And you claim to be a conservative? Get out of south Bend immediately. You are being brainwashed.

I'm not claiming to be anything...I am conservative. Palin is no good. She's a religious zealot just like Bachmann and a few others. That also is not what our country needs. We need someone who is willing to do the right thing, not be popular. I think Palin is a fantastic cheerleader for the conservative cause, but I don't want her anywhere near the oval office. Like Rambone said, McCain and Obama (at the time of the election) had equally crappy careers and were just as likely to both make the country worse. Just because McCain is an "R" doesn't mean any of us will be better off.

By the way, I'm not from South Bend. South Bend sucks, I'm from Lafayette. I analyzed the situation and made my choice. I didn't like either option.

Being from South Bend, I guess you might have seen Obama as a middle-of-the-road guy - if you didn't know anything about politics or bother to find out anything of his background. Just his being a Democrat from Chicago was enough to disqualify him in my eyes (we're from Cook County originally, and my father-in-law was a life-long Dem and a low-level politician in the Daley Machine), and the ways he used to get elected to the Illinois Senate and to the Senate as the Illinois Junior Senator confirmed it, and the fact that he was rated the MOST LIBERAL Senator in the Senate sealed the deal. But you must not have noticed that.

The Democrats controlled Congress for most of the 40 years until the Republicans won the House in 94. Even when the Republicans -technically - controlled the Senate, they, in effect had a 50-50 split with the Dems - who always have behaved as if control of Congress was their natural right. In order for us to have any hope of survival as a world power (not important in itself but vital to our survival as a free people), we have to dismantle the federal monster, hopefully a bit at a time over the next few decades. It's going to be tough, though; about half of us are already on the dole (e.g. not paying taxes) and we're already into circuses as a nation (sports and "reality TV") and a nation that believes it can continue to exist that way won't last long.

As far as I know everything here is true, but it still wouldn't have mattered. As of right now, I'm liking what Ron Paul is standing for and will vote for him given the chance. The thread was asking what people voted for, and you got my answer. With McCain you get a stronger war machine. With Obama (at the time of the election) there was some *hope* that he would be a moderate democrat. Obviously that turned out to be false, but without future vision there was no way to know. If anyone doesn't like it, help convince the republicans to not pick ****birds for nominees.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    The people who voted for Obama obviously didn't look at the facts behind his campaign and where he stood. They didn't do their research and we're "afraid" because a women stood stronger than a man. Palin wasn't the best VP choice and McCain wasn't the best nominee but how could you have actually believed that Obama would be better than those 2? It shows complete ignorance on the political views of the candidates. Next time put away your stupid fears of an old guy or a woman who may annoy you when they don't want to harm America nearly as much as the other guy. You can be young and vote just don't be stupid and swayed by the "charisma" of politicians. Do your homework guys. This is unbelievable.

I havent seen a SINGLE thing that would dictate the fact that McCain and palin would have been a better choice than Obama and Biden. Neither has said how they would have done anything differently as far as i know. And on top of that McCain has flip flopped more than John Kerry did.

I would love to see/hear where McCain or Palin have said what they would have done to help the economy, or anything else people are hating on Obama for doing.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    It really doesn't matter who any of you folks vote for. If you vote for Obama, fine. If you vote for the Republican, fine. If you vote for Ron Paul, also fine.

Most of the folks on this board are in the margins. You're the extreme. You are the people no one takes into account.

Look at the Libertarian candidate for the last several years. Look at the results. Those of you who will vote for Ron Paul are a tiny percentage. No one like Ron Paul will ever win a presidential election. And those of you who will vote for him are so small in numbers that you won't sway an election one way or another, unless it's crazy close in a particular state, like Florida in 2000.

So vote for who you want. I'll vote where I think my vote will do the most good - which means I may vote for the lesser evil rather than the candidate I agree with the most.

Most people do not embrace true freedom. Never have, never will. It goes against human nature. You are the minority, the weirdos, the strange ones, the marginal people. So go do what you like, wear hemp, vote for Ron Paul, point out the hypocrisy of the drug war. I agree with you.

We're the geeks of politics. We'll always be on the outside looking in. I just choose to use my tiny little meaningless piece of influence to have whatever PRACTICAL effect it can get.

The Dems have the Donkey, the Republicans have the Elephant. The Libertarians should have an animal, too. I propose the Unicorn.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    So you vote for the man who went to the church of the preacher who preached, "God D--N America!" for 20 years. Yeah, smart call there. :rolleyes:

I don't care what church people go to, or what the pastor preaches/ believes. I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone else. I also didn't say Obama is any good. It's just that at that time before Obama had made any of the bad decisions he has at this point as president, Palin was worse.

I'm not sure how much sense it makes to argue about my own personal views as of three years ago. We can continue if you like, but it's sort of too late to change my mind. :) Just stating where I was at that point and why I did what I did. I'm not the only one. There are at least three people in the office who are gun-friendly "normal" conservatives that would fit in nicely with this board who did the same thing. I found out about it about 6 months later. All had slightly different reasons than me, but in the end Obama/Biden was at least a slightly better bet than McCain/Palin with the information available at that time. Neither was "good". Blame the GOP.

This is why I don't have that much hope for America. You believe what I believe, or you are wrong.

Fixed this for you.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm not claiming to be anything...I am conservative. Palin is no good. She's a religious zealot just like Bachmann and a few others. That also is not what our country needs. We need someone who is willing to do the right thing, not be popular. I think Palin is a fantastic cheerleader for the conservative cause, but I don't want her anywhere near the oval office. Like Rambone said, McCain and Obama (at the time of the election) had equally crappy careers and were just as likely to both make the country worse. Just because McCain is an "R" doesn't mean any of us will be better off.

As far as I know everything here is true, but it still wouldn't have mattered. As of right now, I'm liking what Ron Paul is standing for and will vote for him given the chance. The thread was asking what people voted for, and you got my answer. With McCain you get a stronger war machine. With Obama (at the time of the election) there was some *hope* that he would be a moderate democrat. Obviously that turned out to be false, but without future vision there was no way to know. If anyone doesn't like it, help convince the republicans to not pick ****birds for nominees.

These two things are the forefront of my mind:

Palin, Tea Partiers, etc.. scare me a bit. They want to cut costs, awesome. Cut taxes. Great!! Limited .gov? Even better! But at what cost? Religious zealosy in our government. Oh, they are for smaller gov, but at the cost limiting other rights or imposing their "generous views" into my and my friend's bedrooms. Sure, they will cut back on restrictions but mandate that gays are evil and cannot be treated equally. Hypocrisy is a good term for something like this.

Ron Paul is an ardent and wonderful man IMHO. I tried to vote for him, but was pretty much forced by the winds of politics to vote for McCain (dislike the concept of having a vote "wasted" on a third party with no chance). Now, Paul has a great chance and should take it. Bauchman? Would turn this country into the United States of Christian Fundamentalism, instead of a body politic. "God in his heaven, all is right with the world..." Or how about that dullard zealot gem from Texas? Any of those would run this nation amok. Their party lines serve them and their church, NOT the entire nation.

I think for myself, I don't cling to one liners and other bumper sticker sheep bleats. Both sides are showing their foolishness and it's about time for Americans to understand they are being fleeced under the great ruse of "politics". The American worker has screwed themselves for decades by voting for these parties, both right and left. The greatest lie ever told to the American public was that of Hope and Change, but also "Family Values", enforced to us by the restriction of rights via the Patriot act, destruction of the economy via deregulation and mismanagement of social issues that should not be touched, such as gay marriage. :twocents:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I didn't vote for Obama. I did swallow a great deal of Pepto-Bismol, then headed to the polls with a clothes pin on my nose to cast my vote for the RINO McCain (which I still regret).

I made the mistake of voting liberal ONCE. My excuse? I was young and stupid. I am no longer either. :)

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    These two things are the forefront of my mind:

Palin, Tea Partiers, etc.. scare me a bit. They want to cut costs, awesome. Cut taxes. Great!! Limited .gov? Even better! But at what cost? Religious zealosy in our government. Oh, they are for smaller gov, but at the cost limiting other rights or imposing their "generous views" into my and my friend's bedrooms. Sure, they will cut back on restrictions but mandate that gays are evil and cannot be treated equally. Hypocrisy is a good term for something like this.

Your first mistake is to lump all those folks together with the Tea Party. If you have never been to a Tea Party....then you definitely need to go and see for YOURSELF what goes on. I have YET to see an ACCURATE media account of one....on ANY network. The tea party is basically about fiscal restraint and smaller government. Period.

I would classify myself as a STRONG fiscal Conservative, and a social moderate. And I have NO PROBLEM with the tea party whatsoever.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    You don't need 20 years of video to show a common character trait. Just sayin'.

True, but that 1 time might have been the only time the rev said anything negative about the US at all. Which would mean the "20 years" Obama was at that church he may have never heard anything like that except that once.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Your first mistake is to lump all those folks together with the Tea Party. If you have never been to a Tea Party....then you definitely need to go and see for YOURSELF what goes on. I have YET to see an ACCURATE media account of one....on ANY network. The tea party is basically about fiscal restraint and smaller government. Period.

I would classify myself as a STRONG fiscal Conservative, and a social moderate. And I have NO PROBLEM with the tea party whatsoever.

This sounds great in theory. Perhaps when the tea party started it was true. Now it's a mix at about 50/50 last time I looked into it. You have "conservatives" under one banner. The problem is that in the crowd half the people you talk to would say Ron Paul is the icon of their cause. Small government, fiscal responsibility, personal choice, states rights, blah blah blah. I'm in this camp more than any other.

The other half of the members would say Sarah Palin is their champion. Fundamental christian values that "founded" this country should be pushed. Stop the assault on family values, build democracy in countries across the world, fight terrorism in every crevice it may hide on this earth, support our military, stop the gay agenda, blah blah blah.

The tea party is mixed between the two of these vastly different, both "conservative" ideologies. It's scary to me. It seems that there are very few people who believe parts from both, and most will fit firmly within one group or the other and think that THEY represent the conservative cause. THEY are correct, and anyone else is wrong. Right doesn't necessarily mean correct, and you have to be clear which part of the right you are on. To throw silly labels on them, you have the libertarian "right" and the christian conservative "right". I the latter as just as much an enemy of our country as the liberal left. Obviously not everyone will agree with me, and that's everyone's "right" to decide. This mix of conservatives leads to much confusion in the conservative movement. Many people in both camps don't even realize the divide exists.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    True, but that 1 time might have been the only time the rev said anything negative about the US at all. Which would mean the "20 years" Obama was at that church he may have never heard anything like that except that once.

But you and I both know that is not true. He has a known history of anti-American rants in his sermons. It's no secret. Trying to play this one off as a one time ordeal is trolling because we all know you're full of ****.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    But you and I both know that is not true. He has a known history of anti-American rants in his sermons. It's no secret. Trying to play this one off as a one time ordeal is trolling because we all know you're full of ****.

Wait ... i thought Obama was/is a muslim.... whats he doing at a "christian" church?

Top Bottom