Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If they have tanks breaking down during the middle of the May Day Parade
    2 words:
    Osprey
    F-35

have to order warships from France
    Not many countries have shipyards to do that work. Free market, sorta, they bought from where the market was.

BTW, didja know some of our helos are foreign? ;)

still have yet to rout the Ukranians in the east
    Why would they need to do that? They certainly could. They just haven't.

I'm going have a hard time believing that the pulled off a legit jamming tech that we would need to worry about.
    Totally different tech. Frankly, jamming something that is known, in-hand, and reverse engineerable is easier than making it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If they have tanks breaking down during the middle of the May Day Parade
    2 words:
    Osprey,
    F-35
    have to order warships from France
    Not many countries have shipyards to do that work. Free market, sorta, they bought from where the market was. BTW, didja know some of our helos are foreign? ;)

still have yet to rout the Ukranians in the east
    Why would they need to do that? They certainly could. They just haven't.

I'm going have a hard time believing that the pulled off a legit jamming tech that we would need to worry about.
    Totally different tech. Frankly, jamming something that is known, in-hand, and reverse engineerable is easier than making it.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "My assessment today is that Russia presents the greatest threat to our national security" - Gen Dunford, Obama's next Joint Chiefs chairman

I hope Romney is somewhere laughing

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    "My assessment today is that Russia presents the greatest threat to our national security" - Gen Dunford, Obama's next Joint Chiefs chairman

He just had Rubio and Christie for houseguests, at the same time. He might be laughed out.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

No, no, no.... that's all wrong. Islam is our enemy. And we can send Sarah Palin over to smooth it over. She can see Russia from her house. Heck, we'll send Bristol too; because she can probably see Russia from her bed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No, no, no.... that's all wrong. Islam is our enemy. And we can send Sarah Palin over to smooth it over. She can see Russia from her house. Heck, we'll send Bristol too; because she can probably see Russia from her bed.

Ahh...the democrat version of the birth certificate. Wait...those are both democrat started and perpetuated farces.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't think we should scorn the Soviets - I mean, "The Russians" - over new generation equipment that breaks down. The Black Hawk was a generational leap over the Huey, and it took a few years to become a generally reliable aerial platform. The same was true of the Osprey; a generational difference over previous VSTOL aircraft in both capabilities and complexity. I have serious doubts about the F-35 ever meeting its expectations, but it may turn out to be good at SOME part of its operational envelope. As for our nuclear deterrence, the current issue of "Legion," the American Legion magazine, has an interesting article on our nuclear deterrence strategy, why it worked to prevent another World War, and why we should maintain it to prevent a future World War.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Couple interesting Russia-related links.

First, looks like France is going to buy back the helo-carrier they built for Russia. I wonder where it will end up.
    Russia Mistral: France 'agrees warship compensation' - BBC News
    Sources close to the talks, quoted by Russia's Kommersant daily, say France will compensate Russia to the tune of €1.16bn.

And then, in a nod to capitalist novices, Russian personal debt is staggering... and not getting paid.
    Russian debtors despair as boom turns to bust - BBC News
    The Russian Central Bank says those chronic debts now total 1tn roubles (£10.7bn; $16.7bn). And that is at least 10% of the total personal debt - 10% which cannot be recovered by the banks.

US personal debt is marginally better.
    Household debt—including mortgages, credit cards, auto loans and student loans—rose $117 billion from October to December to $11.8 trillion, according to figures from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York released Tuesday.
    But more Americans fell behind on auto and student loans. The share of auto-loan debt 90 or more days overdue jumped to 3.5% last quarter, from 3.1%. A similar rate for student loans rose to 11.3% from 11.1%.
    Americans Add Debt, but Fissures Appear - WSJ

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Viewpoint: What's behind Russia's actions in Georgia? - BBC News

Russia unilaterally changing boundaries. Again.

Late on 10 July, Russian troops placed new demarcation signposts along the administrative boundary between the annexed territory of South Ossetia, which was removed from Georgia's jurisdiction by force in the war of 2008, and Tbilisi-controlled territory.
    Crucially, a further 1.5km into the Georgian territory was added overnight. The new "border" is now a de facto occupation line, just a mile away from a major highway linking Georgia's eastern and western regions
    Not only did this "land grab" disrupt the lives of villagers, whose households ended up overnight within the Russian-controlled territory, a kilometre-long section of the BP-operated Baku-Supsa oil pipeline also now lies outside of Tbilisi's reach.

Top Bottom