• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    No, If your selling crack to a crackhead and you want to stop selling it to him, you have to assume he might be hostile about it. THATS my point. When we cut off our supply to Japan, we never thought they might "retaliate" That was a big mistake.

If we are going to punish people by economic means, we have to assume the possibility of "retaliation" for those actions, or else we are not learning from history.
    I highly doubt we didn't think they would retaliate. Many think it was done to purposefully get them to make the first strike. Perhaps. Cutting off trade is certainly a hostile action on our part, but not necessarily the wrong course of action. Still not sure if Pearl Harbor was ineptitude or allowed to happen to drum up public support, but that is aside to the point.

To summarize: Economic sanctions cause wars. This is not always a bad option. It is just as often a bad option as not. Heads of government should keep this in mind.

I don't think we're doing anything to Russia economically. We just aren't that big a trade partner with them. Like I've said, the biggest worry for the Russians would be if Europe stopped buying Russian fuel. That could most definitely spark the war. I could still see us using that as an excuse to jump into the war, so we still must tread carefully. Unlike the Japanese were the Russians are very prepared to fight us right here and now.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I highly doubt we didn't think they would retaliate. Many think it was done to purposefully get them to make the first strike. Perhaps. Cutting off trade is certainly a hostile action on our part, but not necessarily the wrong course of action. Still not sure if Pearl Harbor was ineptitude or allowed to happen to drum up public support, but that is aside to the point.

To summarize: Economic sanctions cause wars. This is not always a bad option. It is just as often a bad option as not. Heads of government should keep this in mind.

I don't think we're doing anything to Russia economically. We just aren't that big a trade partner with them. Like I've said, the biggest worry for the Russians would be if Europe stopped buying Russian fuel. That could most definitely spark the war. I could still see us using that as an excuse to jump into the war, so we still must tread carefully. Unlike the Japanese were the Russians are very prepared to fight us right here and now.

I will disagree with you there, and that might confuse you, because I think, you think Im trying to say it was wrong to cut off our oil trade, and that is just not the case. I agree 100% with cutting someone off if they decide to join the world domination league. Im just saying that leaving ourselves wide open after doing so, failing to realize the high probability of reprisal, was careless on our part, and I don't want to see it happen again.

If we sanction someone, we need to be watching them, and consider the possibility of reprisal, and all possible future outcomes from the chain of events that could come after said reprisals.

We cant predict the future, but we can plan for probabilities.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    No, it's still the Nazi's fault every one knows that. Said with barely concealed contempt.

I do not understand this comment.Not when in 2012 our own embassy in Ukraine said as much(I posted a link earlier in this thread to the state department link with the warning about NEO NAZI Svoboda,from our own embassy).I also posted a link to the EU Parliament page stating the exact same thing about Svoboda only they added no political party in Ukraine should work with Svoboda Neo Nazi's(their words not mine)as they undermine the political process and European values.

So because Obama and Victoria Nuland support them we are to just stick our heads in the sand and pretend Oleh Yaroslavovych Tyahnybok did not call for an investigation of " criminal activities of organized Jewry in Ukraine." But I guess if he is only the head of the military defense forces everything is right as rain.I do not understand it.When our own embassy and the whole of the EU parliament calls them Neo Nazi's why are they now(less than 2 years later)our guys? Because they said they would join NATO?

I will re-post the links for you.
    EU Parliament.MEPs voice concerns about the rising nationalistic sentiment in Ukraine which led to the election of the "Svoboda" Party to the Parliament of Ukraine. The EP recalls that racist, anti-Semitic and xenophobic views go against the EU’s fundamental values and principles and it appeals to pro-democratic parties in the Ukrainian Parliament not to associate with, endorse or form coalitions with this party.
    Elections failed to bring Ukraine closer to the EU, say MEPs

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, I believe so. I think the departing Ukrainian soldiers tried to comply with our BATFE guidelines on decommissioning before abandoning their posts.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wasn't sure if it was an optical illusion or they really were bent. I saw it on more than one, but who knows with photogs nowadays.

Since they were abandoned, I figured it was to render them inoperable.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Saw this on the news a couple days ago. Since the spotlights off the Russians now, I expect they start messing around with them again.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Unlike the candy ass excuse for an executive of the united States, I suspect Putin doesn't draw lines with disappearing ink.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Yea Putin is really chuck Norris in disguise.

It's getting to be a little ridiculous....

Top Bottom