spgWe79.jpg
    Awesome

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Iran? I'm rather fond of the Iranian people. The government? Not so much. The Persian culture is quite fascinating and the ordinary Iranian citizen is not really our enemy.

America? I'm rather fond of the American people. The government? Not so much. The diversity of American cuture is quite fascinating and the ordinary American citizen is not really our enemy.

Our Government is playing a dangerous game with the lives of its citizens and of those around the world. We feel immune to the actions our government take, but threats like the ones our President has recently made (the cultural sites) can have far-reaching consequences. If our government has a legitimate beef with another there are dozens of traditional established methods to address it...none of which include bombing their civillians at prayer.

This isn't 4D chess...it isn't a reasoned and measured response. Trump is engaging in a dick measuring contest and, like his ongoing twitter war with a 16 year-old autistic girl, he is losing.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Speaker Pelosi says House will soon vote on war powers resolution regarding Iran: "We are concerned that the admin. took this action without the consultation of Congress and without respect for Congress’s war powers granted to it by the Constitution."

So it's just Nancy posturing, not really doing anything but claiming a win? :dunno:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pelosi-says-house-will-vote-on-war-powers-resolution-this-week/

It reasserts Congress's long-established oversight responsibilities...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    America? I'm rather fond of the American people. The government? Not so much. The diversity of American cuture is quite fascinating and the ordinary American citizen is not really our enemy.

Our Government is playing a dangerous game with the lives of its citizens and of those around the world. We feel immune to the actions our government take, but threats like the ones our President has recently made (the cultural sites) can have far-reaching consequences. If our government has a legitimate beef with another there are dozens of traditional established methods to address it...none of which include bombing their civillians at prayer.

This isn't 4D chess...it isn't a reasoned and measured response. Trump is engaging in a dick measuring contest and, like his ongoing twitter war with a 16 year-old autistic girl, he is losing.

Why do people fibrillate so much when we are willing to play by our adversaries RoE? Do you seriously think that if a US military command met in a church during worship these people would hesitate for one second in attacking/bombing it whether ordinary people were praying in the building or not? Why should targets meeting in a mosque be any different

If they don't want to play by those rules then they can change them

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Speaker Pelosi says House will soon vote on war powers resolution regarding Iran: "We are concerned that the admin. took this action without the consultation of Congress and without respect for Congress’s war powers granted to it by the Constitution."
    This is tiresome. She only gives a **** about constitutional powers when it’s her president wielding it. She cares about reigning it in when it’s the other guy. And it’s not just her. It’s the Republicans’ turn in the unquestioning permission chamber.

Time box the entire lot of them. 12 years. Retroactive. If you’ve spent 12 years in Congress already, House or Senate, buh-bye.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why do people fibrillate so much when we are willing to play by our adversaries RoE? Do you seriously think that if a US military command met in a church during worship these people would hesitate for one second in attacking/bombing it whether ordinary people were praying in the building or not? Why should targets meeting in a mosque be any different

If they don't want to play by those rules then they can change them

Why?

Because our adversaries are literal terrorists.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is tiresome. She only gives a **** about constitutional powers when it’s her president wielding it. She cares about reigning it in when it’s the other guy. And it’s not just her. It’s the Republicans’ turn in the unquestioning permission chamber.

Time box the entire lot of them. 12 years. Retroactive. If you’ve spent 12 years in Congress already, House or Senate, buh-bye.

2 terms just like the Potus. 2 and out. Period.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why?

Because our adversaries are literal terrorists.

And in this Paul why are we to use kid gloves. That's the issues we have had since WWII. We are not dead on serious. Focused on the goal which is get in...….destroy/kill all enemy combatants regardless of where they are hiding and get out. Heck man we will rebuild the place anyway. It is our nature.

As has been mentioned in other threads along these lines it would be prudent to stand down and leave. But they would just become pawns/puppets of Russia of China at that point. Something we are not discussing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Two terms is 12 years in the Senate. For the house, their terms are two years. Limiting them to 4 years is probably too aggressive. 12 is fine by me.

I prefer the change that congress meets for ninety days, and for normal business if it doesn't get done during that period it doesn't get done. Then we stop supporting them and they go home to real jobs until next year, maybe pay them $12k for their service (slightly better than 1/4 of the median US wage of $47060)

I don't believe the constitution requires them to be in continuous session

One way to eliminate people wanting the job because of the money and power is to curtail the money and power

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And in this Paul why are we to use kid gloves. That's the issues we have had since WWII. We are not dead on serious. Focused on the goal which is get in...….destroy/kill all enemy combatants regardless of where they are hiding and get out. Heck man we will rebuild the place anyway. It is our nature.

As has been mentioned in other threads along these lines it would be prudent to stand down and leave. But they would just become pawns/puppets of Russia of China at that point. Something we are not discussing.

Take a look at what "being serious" would actually mean...

Total occupation...for several generations, while providing sufficient economic growth and incentive to offer an attractive alternative for deep-rooted nationalist and tribalist tendancies. On top of that, you have to deal with the corrosive element of the true-believer islamist movement - and it doen't seem quick to let go. What's the alternative...a softer Islam? That could take generations if effected from a grass-roots approach. Top-down enforcement of a different, more western-friendly ideology? Tread lightly here...we're a corner's turn from talking about reeducation camps now.

For what...access to their oil?

I think the best approach is just to starve them out. Sanctions, like the President has previously suggested, interruption or siezure of their international commerce, total naval and air superiority in the region. I don't see any reason to put our boys in harms way on the ground there now...time and distance are on our side. The oil will be there in a couple hundred years if we still want it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think I'll wait and see for a while. The Iraq threats might just be bluster for public consumption and to get additional goodies for the leadership from the US. The Iran leadership has been made to look foolish so you have to expect bluster there. Leadership is as leadership does everywhere, and remember.....

Always follow the money

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think I'll wait and see for a while. The Iraq threats might just be bluster for public consumption and to get additional goodies for the leadership from the US. The Iran leadership has been made to look foolish so you have to expect bluster there. Leadership is as leadership does everywhere, and remember.....

Always follow the money

I'm going have to question your view on this. Both Iraq and Iran are flooding streets with mourners. The Iraqi parliament has voted (non-binding) to expel foreign troops. The president is talking nonsense about destroying cultural sites, and sanctioning Iraq if troops are expelled. More troops are headed to the Middle East. I think this is playing out better than Iran could have possibly dreamed.

Top Bottom