• ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Come on kut really?
    If iran had the capabilities they would use them.
    They are economically weak and their citizens are not behind them 100% as of now. Also their military is weak.
    This is why iran uses terrorism.
    They get everyone Else to do the dirty work for them and for decades its worked just fine for them because they haven't suffered too many real consequences. Well the game just changed.
    I hope we start really pounding them

I'm certainly not fond of that region of the world, but you have to set down and really assess why we are there and whether that is sufficient justification for any and all activity from regime support/changes, police actions up to, and including, all out war.

There may have been a time when our presence was absolutely necessary for the most humanitarian and altruistic reasons....and to prevent the spread of communism (one of the humanitarian reasons, for sure). That isn't true today and hasn't been true for quite a long time.

I'm glad we zapped Soliemani, but to say that Iran is a terror state shows a real lack of understanding of the bad acts of our own country around the world. We don't have clean hands.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm certainly not fond of that region of the world, but you have to set down and really assess why we are there and whether that is sufficient justification for any and all activity from regime support/changes, police actions up to, and including, all out war.

There may have been a time when our presence was absolutely necessary for the most humanitarian and altruistic reasons....and to prevent the spread of communism (one of the humanitarian reasons, for sure). That isn't true today and hasn't been true for quite a long time.

I'm glad we zapped Soliemani, but to say that Iran is a terror state shows a real lack of understanding of the bad acts of our own country around the world. We don't have clean hands.

I don't have all the answers and I agree with some of what you said but, Iran is most certainly a sponsor of terrorism and a bad actor. Are there good people in Iran? Yes, I am sure there are but the Iranian government is about as bad as it gets. They slaughter innocent Iranians who are attempting to protest. They have attacked neutral shipping near the straight of Hormuz. They attacked Saudi Arabia with primitive cruise missiles. They supply rockets which are launched at Israeli civilians. I could go on and on.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    More indirect fire attacks against bases and the Baghdad Green Zone reported today. No US casualties so far.

I really hope this stays limited to proxy war games inside Iraq, but if American forces start directly shooting it out with Iranian militias and taking casualties, we're going to enter a state of war with the Iranians whether we want it or not. I remain utterly perplexed at what they stand to gain by doing any of this. The clock was going to run out on the American mission in Iraq eventually, all they had to do was sit quietly until it was clear for them to take over. I understand what they're trying to accomplish by starving out Saudi Arabia in Yemen and interfering with their oil production, but shooting at Americans in Iraq is lightspeed stupid.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    More indirect fire attacks against bases and the Baghdad Green Zone reported today. No US casualties so far.

I really hope this stays limited to proxy war games inside Iraq, but if American forces start directly shooting it out with Iranian militias and taking casualties, we're going to enter a state of war with the Iranians whether we want it or not. I remain utterly perplexed at what they stand to gain by doing any of this. The clock was going to run out on the American mission in Iraq eventually, all they had to do was sit quietly until it was clear for them to take over. I understand what they're trying to accomplish by starving out Saudi Arabia in Yemen and interfering with their oil production, but shooting at Americans in Iraq is lightspeed stupid.

We were going to be out of the area by 2011. Perhaps they're growing impatient.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have watched a bunch of video of the Iraq-Iran war.
    I wasn't impressed with either side. I don't see much of a comparison to the US forces at all [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] when it comes down to it. That said.... IF they use Chemical or Nuclear Weapons, the loss of life will be greater...... for them.

How long again did it take for the US to push into Baghdad in '03?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    What happened a year or two after that?

One would think we've learned a lesson in blood about predicting easy victories.

Gorilla warfare is going to happen no matter where it is.
    Taking Iraq WAS an easy victory.... hands down. Just ask Saddam as he was pissing in a can underground.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    He's some more history. After the Shah was deposed, the Iranians asked the United States to abandon the embassy and leave the nation. They did so because, well we supported the Shah, and they believed that we might be undermining the Revolution. Well, were undermining the Revolution. We refused to leave, and the Embassy was taken. Even after a failed hostage rescue, the Iranians released the hostages the hour Reagan took office, as a gesture of good will. Iran minds it's business, until we made friends with a guy named Saddam Hussein. Hussein, now with American backing, decides to invade Iran, leading to a bloody war. So, if you're saying that all we have to do to write off debts, is start a war with the people we owe, they yeah, that consistent. But let's not pretend that our situation, today, isn't because of us doing some pretty shady things to Iran in the past.

I don't have all the answers and I agree with some of what you said but, Iran is most certainly a sponsor of terrorism and a bad actor. Are there good people in Iran? Yes, I am sure there are but the Iranian government is about as bad as it gets. They slaughter innocent Iranians who are attempting to protest. They have attacked neutral shipping near the straight of Hormuz. They attacked Saudi Arabia with primitive cruise missiles. They supply rockets which are launched at Israeli civilians. I could go on and on.

Both excellent points.

I think every country in the world is guarding the straight of Hormuz.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Taking Iraq WAS an easy victory.... hands down. Just ask Saddam as he was pissing in a can underground.

Whose son are you going to put on the ground in Iran? Yours?

The last major tank battle we engaged in was in 91 (Battle of 73 Easting, Kuwait). We did great against the Republican Guard. But Iran is not a desert. It is also 3 to 4 times as large as Iraq. And it has allies.

A ground war in Iran is a non-starter. We'd need a much larger military. We'd also need a moral justification.

It's a loser.

ZVB92xK.png

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    How long again did it take for the US to push into Baghdad in '03?

It's extremely easy to destroy a country through raw unbridled force. Actually conquering and keeping it is a VERY different matter.

You think we took Iraq... Hahahaha. Yeah, that's why top Iranian generals and military are being transported around the country without a serious threat to their life.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No one said it'd be a world devoid of strife or violence, you're hearing what you want to hear and argueing with a straw man.

The world would be far better off if Muslim,jew and Christian didn't hold the same sliver of land in such high regard as to kill over it. If Islamists didn't believe government and religion were meant to be intertwined. A big portion of modern violence is directly attributable to religion. That there are also non religious reasons for violence doesn't take away from that fact.
    Belief is a tool.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The people yes. The govt no. Israel is a nation that has forgotten it's history, and that's sad. I think American Jews have a better understanding of the problem with Israel than Israelis themselves. I strongly support the American branch, lol.
    Actually it's the other way around. Most of the Jews in the USA who remember Israel's history--past and present--are orthodox and have a religious/nationalist perspective of Israel's situation. Many non religious American Jews are Jews in name only and their real religion is leftist ideology, which explains why some them are SJW who equivicate between Israel and the PA or even support Israel-delegitimatizing BDS

Top Bottom