• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Could've been a dominance issue, NOT an aggression issue. Yes, there's a HUGE difference with dogs. My dog is a dog dominant dog, not aggressive. She HAS pinned other, smaller female's several times. Each time, air snapping, snarling, sounded like someone was getting killed. And each time, NO one got hurt, no teeth connected with skin. It's POSSIBLE that this is what was going on. IDK, I wasn't there to see it. :twocents:

The owners of the dog the police shot said the dog was scared of the dark, it wasn't a vicious dog:(

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    The owners of the dog the police shot said the dog was scared of the dark, it wasn't a vicious dog:(

That's what I'm saying, kind of. IF the killed dog WAS acting aggressively towards the K9, there should've been some sort of injury to the K9, even if it was minor. :yesway: A dog can be scared of the dark and be dog aggressive though. It can happen.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Could've been a dominance issue, NOT an aggression issue. Yes, there's a HUGE difference with dogs. My dog is a dog dominant dog, not aggressive. She HAS pinned other, smaller female's several times. Each time, air snapping, snarling, sounded like someone was getting killed. And each time, NO one got hurt, no teeth connected with skin. It's POSSIBLE that this is what was going on. IDK, I wasn't there to see it. :twocents:

I agree, or it could of even been a play issue. I used to have a Rott that liked to play "rough" with me. She would sound like she was going to tear my head off but I could stick my arm in her mouth and there wouldn't be a single mark. It wasn't dominance it was play. I've had dogs that would play like that with other dogs. But if a 50lb "pit bull" had another dog by the throat and was trying to be aggressive, I would guess that at least a trip to the vet would be in order.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I agree, or it could of even been a play issue. I used to have a Rott that liked to play "rough" with me. She would sound like she was going to tear my head off but I could stick my arm in her mouth and there wouldn't be a single mark. It wasn't dominance it was play. I've had dogs that would play like that with other dogs. But if a 50lb "pit bull" had another dog by the throat and was trying to be aggressive, I would guess that at least a trip to the vet would be in order.

If a 50# dog of ANY breed wants to be aggressive and gets another dog by the throat, a trip to the vet should be in order yes. :yesway:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I suppose it's possible. Bad rep for the breed in general doesn't help. Some bad apples in every bushel but pits have a history that should be regarded with caution.

If you believe in bad breeding then there is another breed with a history that should be regarded with caution: armed law enforcers.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    If you believe in bad breeding then there is another breed with a history that should be regarded with caution: armed law enforcers.

THANK you for reminding me of THIS:

I suppose it's possible. Bad rep for the breed in general doesn't help. Some bad apples in every bushel but pits have a history that should be regarded with caution.

and what history is that? Other then the thugs of the 80s and 90s making them the poster child for "thug dog?" The history of being the nanny dog because they were so good with children(Petey from The Little Rascals??)? How about Googling Stubby and the 102nd Infantry Division in WW1? Or how about some great American Pit Bull owners like Mark Twain, Theodore Roosevelt, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Thomas Edison, Woodrow Wilson, John Steinbeck, Helen Keller, and Fred Astaire? If you had a bad experience with a Pit Bull, that's terrible, I'm sorry.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Sad situation. Officer should have at VERY LEAST apologized to dog owners.

I am not a cop hater, and I support them in most cases, but I agree with whoever said “if the K-9 had MY dog pinned, I’d take it out and I would probably get in trouble.”

Again, I support the police fully when they are doing their jobs appropriately. But the way this is described is horrible.

Just like I don’t believe a LEO’s life is worth more than mine, I don’t feel a k-9 unit is worth more than MY dog, on MY property.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What about this scenario:

I'm walking through my own woods and I see a german shepherd who has my lab by the throat, so I shoot the german shepherd. Suddenly, the shepherd's police handler emerges through the brush. All is forgiven, right? No charges, right? Just defending my dog, right?

Cops?

Last edited:

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Unfortunately when police hurt or kill innocent people or dog in this case the system supports these actions. Go to court against a cop or fireman and watch the judge show obvious preference toward them. Most people are held accountable for their actions.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If the Police dog is not around the other cop a good deal, the other cop is out of uniform, and they are at work, you are right they could attack another cop. I agree that just like any other cop, if they don't make the cut, get rid of them.

The reason that lawmakers call Police Dogs cops is because *******s would shoot and kill Police Dogs without thinking twice about it. The dog is giving it's life doing the same job as a person. Calling the Police Dog a cop keeps the *******s from killing them and costing the department and the taxpayers money. How isn't that right?

At least one of the ones on my cities police force would go after a officer in uniform. At least if he had on a bite sleeve or something resembling one.

And just to nit pick a bit, in IN the lawmakers don't call them cops or officers, they are law enforcement animals. And it's a D felony, same as for killing/maiming/etc a service/search and rescue/or any domestic animal without the owners consent.

If you believe in bad breeding then there is another breed with a history that should be regarded with caution

I believe in bad breeding, just as I believe in good breeding. Popular dogs frequently end up with a host of physical or mental problems from indiscriminate breeding. Just as careful knowledgeable breeders have numerous success stories, but I don't think LEO fall into that category, at least not in the US. Nazi Germany probably, they did run breeding programs.

THANK you for reminding me of THIS

And thanks for remind me.

Here are a few other breeds that have a "history" GSDs and Rotts, both of which have been used as LE and military animals. Here is one that might surprise you, Great Danes, the gentle giants. They were a boar/guard dog originally, and bred to be quite aggressive. In the late 1800s-early 1900s they were pretty much banned from dog shows due to their aggressive and dominant nature. Fights were common between them and other dogs and occasionally judges and/or other dog owners. The breeders started a campaign to tone them down a bit(or actually one hell of a lot), it was very successful hence them being called the "gentle giant" (along with the Saint Bernard). And for the one I really remember for being "vicious and ferocious" when I was young, the Doberman(also used in LE and military). Do you know the history behind this breed? It was specifically breed to be strong/athletic/and very aggressive. In the words of the original breeder (Karl Doberman) "A dog that won't back down from Satan himself"

I've owned a full blooded German rott, she was the friendliest, least aggressive dog I've ever owned. Literally you could come into my house, hit me in the head, and as long as you scratched her behind the ears and told her good doggy, she would help you carry the stuff out. Only exception to that would of been my son, she was never aggressive around anyone by him, but she was watchful. My current dog is supposed to be by DNA testing about 40% Rott(he's also supposed to be 10% pomeranian but his back is mid thigh high and weighs in a 110, and looks with his fur about 160), he is a bit more aggressive, I've also had a dog that was about 70% GSD that was the biggest chicken **** you've ever seen, I've seen Chihuahuas and Pekineses braver them him.

I'm walking through my own woods and I see a german shepard who has my lab by the throat, so I shoot the german shepard. Suddenly, the shepard's police handler emerges through the brush. All is forgiven, right? No charges, right? Just defending my dog, right?

Cops?

Not a cop and not a lawyer, but read the statute for yourself.

In IN you would get hit with a D felony, protecting yourself/another is not a legal defense for injuring a LE animal. Let along protecting your dog.
    Indiana Code 35-46-3

LE animals are the only ones that I can find that protecting yourself or another is not a defense. Let alone property or livestock the last two you can't defend against a service or search and rescue dog either.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

I'm walking through my own woods and I see a german shepard who has my lab by the throat, so I shoot the german shepard. Suddenly, the shepard's police handler emerges through the brush. All is forgiven, right? No charges, right? Just defending my dog, right?

Cops?

I mentioned this on the second page and I'm still waiting for an answer.

I must be on a lot of people's ignore list.

Wrong place? You mean his own backyard?

Let's switch this around...

K9 attacks my Pit, I'm shootin the K9.

Then what happens?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Just like I don’t believe a LEO’s life is worth more than mine, I don’t feel a k-9 unit is worth more than MY dog, on MY property.

This.

I don't know how many times I have read LEOs on here say...."But, were citizens too."

You can't pick and choose when you want to be considered equal.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Really? I tend to agree with ya most of the time but, Really?

A dog is a family member for many reasons. I completely agree with you there.

A Police Dog has your back 100% of the time. He is with you at home and at work. He will be the first one to risk his / her life for the good of the rest of the department and the last one to be thanked for it. A Police Dog is a living breathing thing not a tool.

I am not a K9 Officer and never have been one. I have worked with and know several on a personal level. Please tell me how and why you feel that this living breathing animal who would give his life for the Officers that he / she serves with no different a family dog would for it's family, is only a tool?

I am not a K9 officer either but several of them come to me when they need dogs. Some love them as family members a few don't. I had one K9 officer come for a pup and during the course of the evaluation I found out that he just recently lost his dog. Get this the dog died because he ate too much plywood. When the dog wasn't working he was put in a plywood cage/box/pin. No love there just a tool. He didn’t get one of my pups they all were sold.:D

I love dogs but when it comes down too it even mine are tools. I will sacrifice my dog for my family's life or mine. I am pretty sure he would have it no other way. I use him as a babysitter, watch dog, and tracker. He will be missed when he goes but his replacement will already be there ready to go to work.

Top Bottom