• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Im all for cops going out and catching the real bad guys who break the law. but just because someone you stopped for a traffic ticket runs from you cops, I think it should be illegal for you to go on a manhunt tearing up peoples property, and killing dogs, or busting through houses to catch the guy. now if you KNOW 100% that this guy is about to kill someone or has kidnapped someone and their life is at stake then go get him. but creating a fuss and escalating the situation by chasing when it could harm innocents, its not worth it to me as a tax payer and if I ever run for office its one of the first things id change. along with high speed chases. and I think enough people would agree with me to do it. the suits we have as law makers now are mostly jokes.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    All types of dogs have been known to attack other dogs or even people, however when its a pitbull it tends to be more vicious because they are stronger and have sharper, bigger teeth. I think no dog is likely to be more aggressive than another unless it has been trained to be. This dog was simply defending his yard from what was probably quite a commotion. Just like its already been said no bad dogs just bad owners, much like I always say with parents and children.

Source? I work with dogs...Pits do NOT have bigger, sharper teeth then other dogs. :rolleyes:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Im all for cops going out and catching the real bad guys who break the law. but just because someone you stopped for a traffic ticket runs from you cops, I think it should be illegal for you to go on a manhunt tearing up peoples property, and killing dogs, or busting through houses to catch the guy. now if you KNOW 100% that this guy is about to kill someone or has kidnapped someone and their life is at stake then go get him. but creating a fuss and escalating the situation by chasing when it could harm innocents, its not worth it to me as a tax payer and if I ever run for office its one of the first things id change. along with high speed chases. and I think enough people would agree with me to do it. the suits we have as law makers now are mostly jokes.

You know the police are bored & wanting to use their toys, like their guns & tazer:D

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    As sad as this is, the sin stains the soul of the fleeing felon, not the officers.

AMEN! I wish it would let me rep you again.

Poor judgement on the part of the officer, I agree with the family he should loose his job if this is the kind of judgement he uses.

Really? Now if the cop stood by and didn't go after the guy and he harmed someone else, you would be saying the same damn thing.

Theres no such thing as a bad breed, only bad owners.

Repped.

About an hour or so from my experience...

:laugh: Funny comment, not so funny situation. It's a damn shame.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    yep. if i see any dog in my backyard attacking my dog or coming at me its gonna be a dead doggy! i dont care if it says police right on the side of that dog. i also have the right to protect my family and myself. Im talking about shooting a dog here people, not the police. and no matter how much they want it to be a dog is NOT a cop! its a tool owned by the city, and if your tool gets out of line its time for a new tool. dogs owned by a family is a family member.

Really? I tend to agree with ya most of the time but, Really?

A dog is a family member for many reasons. I completely agree with you there.

A Police Dog has your back 100% of the time. He is with you at home and at work. He will be the first one to risk his / her life for the good of the rest of the department and the last one to be thanked for it. A Police Dog is a living breathing thing not a tool.

I am not a K9 Officer and never have been one. I have worked with and know several on a personal level. Please tell me how and why you feel that this living breathing animal who would give his life for the Officers that he / she serves with no different a family dog would for it's family, is only a tool?

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    As for the specific incident, it's unfortunate, it's messed up. I don't know the whole story here and I feel bad for all parties involved.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    yep. if i see any dog in my backyard attacking my dog or coming at me its gonna be a dead doggy! i dont care if it says police right on the side of that dog. i also have the right to protect my family and myself. Im talking about shooting a dog here people, not the police. and no matter how much they want it to be a dog is NOT a cop! its a tool owned by the city, and if your tool gets out of line its time for a new tool. dogs owned by a family is a family member.

A Police Dog has your back 100% of the time. He is with you at home and at work. He will be the first one to risk his / her life for the good of the rest of the department and the last one to be thanked for it. A Police Dog is a living breathing thing not a tool.

I am not a K9 Officer and never have been one. I have worked with and know several on a personal level. Please tell me how and why you feel that this living breathing animal who would give his life for the Officers that he / she serves with no different a family dog would for it's family, is only a tool?

I have to agree with both of you. In a way you're both right. A K9 IS a tool, a very useful tool. It's also a partner to the human part of the team. Just like the human is a TOOL to help fight crime (or whatever other respectful term you want to insert there for what LEOs do). A K9 is ALSO a member of that officer's family. They live in the household with the family, go for walks, play with the family, etc. A K9 is a very highly trained, valuable tool that is ALSO a family member. IMHO, the loss of a dog under these circumstances is tragic and breed should have NOTHING to do with it. :twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

i think a lot of police dogs would even eat other cops if they had the chance. im not saying there arent good dogs, but yes they are just tools of the police. that doesnt mean i believe they should be treated bad, but it does mean if they suck at their job or are a liability then get rid of them and get a better one. let them go home and be a pet to someone.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Wrong place. Wrong time.
    I agree, that officer should of controlled his dog better in the families back yard.

I couldn't tell, did the cops and K9 just come on the property without telling the owner? The dog was doing it's job. The city (tax payers) should compensate the family for the animal.

It sounds like it to me, but as someone else said, how do you compensate for the loss of a family member.

As sad as this is, the sin stains the soul of the fleeing felon, not the officers.

IMO it stains both, the female shouldn't have fled, and the officer should not have shot the family dog.

Poor judgement on the part of the officer, I agree with the family he should loose his job if this is the kind of judgement he uses.

+1:yesway:

I agree with the first half, but not the second. Most k-9s while owned by the city, live with the officer, at least around me. And are considered family members.

As for the specific incident, it's unfortunate, it's messed up. I don't know the whole story here and I feel bad for all parties involved.

I feel bad for the family, not necessarily for the LEO. The officer "had to shoot to protect the k-9" because the other dog had him pinned down and was biting his neck. But it never needed to go to the vet and was just fine the next day?:dunno: Doesn't sound quite right to me.

I have to agree with both of you. In a way you're both right. A K9 IS a tool, a very useful tool. It's also a partner to the human part of the team. Just like the human is a TOOL to help fight crime (or whatever other respectful term you want to insert there for what LEOs do). A K9 is ALSO a member of that officer's family. They live in the household with the family, go for walks, play with the family, etc. A K9 is a very highly trained, valuable tool that is ALSO a family member. IMHO, the loss of a dog under these circumstances is tragic and breed should have NOTHING to do with it. :twocents:
    :yesway:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    i think a lot of police dogs would even eat other cops if they had the chance. im not saying there arent good dogs, but yes they are just tools of the police. that doesnt mean i believe they should be treated bad, but it does mean if they suck at their job or are a liability then get rid of them and get a better one. let them go home and be a pet to someone.

If the Police dog is not around the other cop a good deal, the other cop is out of uniform, and they are at work, you are right they could attack another cop. I agree that just like any other cop, if they don't make the cut, get rid of them.

However, a Police dog is a cop. The reason that lawmakers call Police Dogs cops is because *******s would shoot and kill Police Dogs without thinking twice about it. The dog is giving it's life doing the same job as a person. Calling the Police Dog a cop keeps the *******s from killing them and costing the department and the taxpayers money. How isn't that right?

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I feel bad for the family, not necessarily for the LEO. The officer "had to shoot to protect the k-9" because the other dog had him pinned down and was biting his neck. But it never needed to go to the vet and was just fine the next day?:dunno: Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Could've been a dominance issue, NOT an aggression issue. Yes, there's a HUGE difference with dogs. My dog is a dog dominant dog, not aggressive. She HAS pinned other, smaller female's several times. Each time, air snapping, snarling, sounded like someone was getting killed. And each time, NO one got hurt, no teeth connected with skin. It's POSSIBLE that this is what was going on. IDK, I wasn't there to see it. :twocents:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    We consider our dog a member of the family. If ANYONE harmed ANY member of my family I would take action in the same manner for all family members.

I'm right there with you. I owe my dog more then almost any human being for what she's gotten me through over the last few years. However, the legal system does not currently agree with that. In the eyes of the law, that dog is a piece of property. I don't agree with that but it is what it is. She's got my back, I've got her's.....

Top Bottom