• ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    What about this scenario:

I'm walking through my own woods and I see a german shepherd who has my lab by the throat, so I shoot the german shepherd. Suddenly, the shepherd's police handler emerges through the brush. All is forgiven, right? No charges, right? Just defending my dog, right?

Cops?

OH :poop:, The cop would shoot you, then put a stolen throw-down gun on your body, take your wallet & house key{so he can loot your house later} Say that your dog & you attacked him:D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Here's a question: If I drew down on a police dog, can a human officer use deadly force to keep me from shooting the dog?

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    All types of dogs have been known to attack other dogs or even people, however when its a pitbull it tends to be more vicious because they are stronger and have sharper, bigger teeth. I think no dog is likely to be more aggressive than another unless it has been trained to be. This dog was simply defending his yard from what was probably quite a commotion. Just like its already been said no bad dogs just bad owners, much like I always say with parents and children.

Hello,

Not entirely true.. Bit Bulls are GREAT. The prey instinct in the breed is only moderate. Some breeds are more prone to "snapping". One of my prior careers was at the Human Society albeit in IT. BUT having raised multiple dogs, and then being around trainers and breeders all day I learned a lot, and I volunteered in euthanasia and assisted in training at times. Some breeds no matter the training broke down easier than others. Pit's and Rotts surprisingly were not one of those. Chows, Dalmatians, and smaller dogs tended to fail more often. Prey Drive, and hunting skills are great for specialized tasks but if you have other animals, or small children sometimes accidents happen no matter the training. Trust me we were the place they dumped them at. Great training helps a lot, but know the breed you are getting and make sure it is small people compatible.

Thanks,
    Matthew

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Hello,

Not entirely true.. Bit Bulls are GREAT. The prey instinct in the breed is only moderate. Some breeds are more prone to "snapping". One of my prior careers was at the Human Society albeit in IT. BUT having raised multiple dogs, and then being around trainers and breeders all day I learned a lot, and I volunteered in euthanasia and assisted in training at times. Some breeds no matter the training broke down easier than others. Pit's and Rotts surprisingly were not one of those. Chows, Dalmatians, and smaller dogs tended to fail more often. Prey Drive, and hunting skills are great for specialized tasks but if you have other animals, or small children sometimes accidents happen no matter the training. Trust me we were the place they dumped them at. Great training helps a lot, but know the breed you are getting and make sure it is small people compatible.

Thanks,
    Matthew

The meanest dog, that I know of is the CHIHUAHUA, try to pet one that doesn't know you:twocents:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    No but they do have a locking jaw, and more mouth strength and this is why they were popular for fighting dogs.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Source for the "locking jaw" myth? The reason they are popular as fighting dogs is because of the "gameness" that has been bred into this breed.

oh look, I did some of the work for ya: http://www.realpitbull.com/myths.html have fun

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I am not a K9 officer either but several of them come to me when they need dogs. Some love them as family members a few don't. I had one K9 officer come for a pup and during the course of the evaluation I found out that he just recently lost his dog. Get this the dog died because he ate too much plywood. When the dog wasn't working he was put in a plywood cage/box/pin. No love there just a tool. He didn’t get one of my pups they all were sold.:D

I love dogs but when it comes down too it even mine are tools. I will sacrifice my dog for my family's life or mine. I am pretty sure he would have it no other way. I use him as a babysitter, watch dog, and tracker. He will be missed when he goes but his replacement will already be there ready to go to work.

and I Sir am in debt to you and your wonderful family everyday for blessing me and my family with our beautiful and MUCH loved GSD! If anyone here is looking for a german shepherd dog with a wonderful pure blood line, and wonderfull personalities and STRONG ball drive, you need to contact this man! he is honest and fair and will do you right! ok, plug over ;) but its the least I could do.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The addition of C-wire and punji pits would have solved this problem.

They only had one part of my home protection trifecta in place.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Source for the "locking jaw" myth? The reason they are popular as fighting dogs is because of the "gameness" that has been bred into this breed.

oh look, I did some of the work for ya: Pit Bull Myths have fun

Ok true, there is no "locking jaw" as a true hinge. When most people talk of the "locking" they mean PSI. I believe they are around 230-240 psi? Third highest of the domestic dogs? I would say that's pretty damn good.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    and I Sir am in debt to you and your wonderful family everyday for blessing me and my family with our beautiful and MUCH loved GSD! If anyone here is looking for a german shepherd dog with a wonderful pure blood line, and wonderfull personalities and STRONG ball drive, you need to contact this man! he is honest and fair and will do you right! ok, plug over ;) but its the least I could do.

yeah yeah yeah, I'm still waiting to meet one of these mythical GSD's of the USMC line :D (NO sarcasim there)

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Ok true, there is no "locking jaw" as a true hinge. When most people talk of the "locking" they mean PSI. I believe they are around 230-240 psi? Third highest of the domestic dogs? I would say that's pretty damn good.

FFS im not some newbie to dogs. The common term is "locking" to me that means LOCK DOWN very strong.

IDK, the term "locking jaw" would imply that once the jaws "lock down" that they can't be "unlocked".

"The jaws of the Pit Bull are functionally
    the same as the jaws of any other breed, and this has been proven via
    expert examination.

The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the
    skulls, mandibles and teeth of Pit Bulls show that, in proportion to their
    size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is
    no different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely
    not evidence for the existence of any kind of ’locking mechanism’ unique
    to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier,
    says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia (from the ADBA
    booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.)"

PSI huh? ok, if the average dog has a bite PSI of 320 but the HIGHEST PSI recorded from a Pit was 235, I should be more worried about the "average" dogs, like a Black Lab? :dunno:

“Pit Bulls have more bite pressure per square inch (PSI) than any
    other breed.”
    This is absolutely false.

Tests that have been done comparing the bite pressure of several
    breeds showed pressure PSI (per square inch) to be considerably lower
    than some wild estimates that have been made. Testing has shown that
    the domestic dog averages about 320 lbs of pressure per square inch.
    Recently Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic conducted a comparative
    test between a Pit Bull, a Rottweiler, and a German Shepherd. The Pit
    Bull had the LOWEST PSI OF THE THREE.

The highest pressure recorded from the Pit Bull was 235 lbs PSI. The
    highest from the GSD was 238, and the highest from the Rott was 328.
    Dr. Barr states that as far as he knows, the PSI tested in the Rott is the
    highest on record for any domestic canine.

What happened to the supposed 10,000 pounds PSI pressure that the
    breed supposedly has??? It's a MYTH, pure and simple.

Watch the video!

THERE HAVE NEVER been ANY TESTS done to prove that the APBT has
    bite pressure PSI higher than what has been tested by Dr. Barr.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

3rd highest of the domestic dogs? They tested 3 breeds unless you have some other magic study you'd like to share? I'm going to work now so you'll have plenty of time to do some research, ok?

Top Bottom