• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I want to thank BBI and Coach for this fine presentation. While I didn't agree 100% with BBI's conclusions, the science behind what he had to say is sound. The inclusion of actual case studies and current cases from a working LEO is and will continue to be an incredible adjunct to anyone's training vitae. This type of class, scenario based, is an excellent bridge between the shooting/drills oriented class and force on force training. I hope that all, especially ACT's students, take advantage of this class in the very near future. I look forward to the level two presentation eagerly. Bottom line is that this is an on topic and current class, very well presented and should be on everyone's short list. Do not and will not hesitate to recommend this class 100%.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    It's difficult to overstate the value of having this kind of information and resource available to us. The real world information and experience BBI provides, and Coach's excellent eye for and experience in the technical aspects of shooting are really a great combination. I found a lot of things in the material and in the information BBI shared with us that made me do a lot of thinking about the way I do things, and I think that alone is of great value. For example, the idea of how you disguise the move for an AIWB-carried gun, vs. a hip carry gun, in the average street robbery. That's a really valid point. Same thing for choices like off-body carry -- there was some great data, based entirely in FACTS, about some of the issues that can come with those choices. There was a scenario in which we were in a position to help a LEO who was in a gunfight at longer than bad breath distance. That generated some good thought for me. The class made me deal with and think through a lot of things that haven't gotten brain time with me before, and I really appreciate BBI and Coach bringing them to my attention.

Thank you to BBI and Coach, and to all of my fellow students. Lots of really good thought-provoking material there, and I really appreciate getting access to that.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Here is some video from the class. Thanks to Jackson for hanging around and doing some camera work for us.

[video=youtube;kihkXxXcrVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihkXxXcrVQ[/video]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Excellent class! While no one solution will ever work for every situation, it was interesting to see exactly what did (or didn't) work in some real-life scenarios.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Yep. I never stopped believing in you!

If only my mother had been so supportive...

I probably won't drop every video here, so if any of you want to bring anything over from youtube, feel free. Though I am a sensitive and delicate flower, you will not hurt my feelings by beating me to posting the vids here.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Sunday we had a match at Riley. I was asked by a couple of people who were shooting the steel match if we were all shooting on a common firing line at times. They were impressed by the noise.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Sat 6-27-15 DefensivePistol Concepts 1
    Coach (Aron) and BehindBlueI’s were the instructors. 12 participants (10 male , 2 female)
    The class started off with the obligatory safety briefing and introductions.
    All activities took place at the Riley Conservation Club atBay #7 (I think)
    This class was not all about putting hits in the A box butfocused more on what you’d do or not do in a given situation. Subsequently the AAR is more a collection of my thoughts and an overview of what we did.
    All scenarios that were presented and recreated had occurred in Marion County over the past several years.Factual information gathered at the scene enabled the recreation of thescenes.Distances, location of individuals,where shell casings landed etc. etc. all contributed to making each flight asaccurate as possible.
    Of course all real life scenario’s do not end in a shoot outin real life but we were instructed to use lethal force to resolve all scenarios. You will need to take theclass if you want to find out what actually happened in each scenario. That’s really incidental anyway as this isabout what you would do.
    ·Hey isthat our Pizza?
    Here two bad guys confront the delivery driver as he was exiting his car to deliver Pizza. We acted out the scenario and then found out what really happened. Sometimes the bad guys win.Being the best shot or most accurate does not guarantee the outcome.
    Having a plan or pre set strategy is key.
    ·ClothingStore
    Bad guy versus two good guys. We allran through this drill but even with the luxury of it being a class we didn’tdo it any better than what happened in real life.
    ·Mini van
    Here we just reviewed what happened to a car jacking suspect. Although the victim pocket carried he did not have a plan nor the commitment to follow through. Interestingly a couple of the scenario’s highlighted this. Analysis of what happened next proved we as humans are programmed to elicit certain response.This class and this scenario helped to illustrate some of these automatic responses and what we should do to overcome them, lessen their impact or turn them to our advantage when possible.
    ·OC girl on rear of motorcycle
    Opportunistic youths tried to steal her gun.Again jus a discussion on this event but again the flight response kicked in.
    ·Craigslist sneakers & hats
    This was meant to be an ‘overwatch’ scenario where the armed adult was providing protection for a youth during a Craigs list meeting. It didn’t turn out well. Complacency, lack of training, lack of preparation and lack of plan were all illustrated. With this in mind we were able to relive the scenario how we would have reacted in the same situation.It also highlights how the bad guys have the luxury of picking the location and planning out an ambush (similar to the pizza delivery scenario).
    ·Tire shop‘tranny’
    This real life scenario showcased the downside of off body carry. We ran this one initially with off body carry so we had to get to our gun and then with our carry pieces andit was interesting to see everyone’s different deception tactics and also the difference in bullet trajectories. Here we had an innocent bystander in the mix along with the two bad guys.We knew only one had a gun but you had to prioritize the threat and take appropriate action. Again another take away for me was: if oneguy has a gun = they all have a gun. Prioritize and engage accordingly. Have a plan.
    ·Officerneed assistance
    Here a PO was already engaged in a shootout. A security guard came into the fray and offered assistance.We enacted the scenario as both the PO and the security guard. Good practice here in announcing your presence. Don’t just wade into an active shooter situation with gun in hand! Good practice from shooting from cover against a bad guy under cover.
    ·Gang territorialbeef
    This was the final drill of the day.Two rival gangs had a beef so most of us will never be in this situation! Three shooters and a fleeing team member helped mix this one up. Engaging multiple combatants (3) behind cover while moving. Like I said this may notbe likely for most of us but it does help illustrate what can happen and thelimitations we have. We had theforesight of knowing what we getting into but had it been a spontaneous engagement I might not have been so well prepared nor so eager to participate.
    So it looks like we acted out six scenario but we performed several in different roles or employing different tactics. I believe there were twelve of us and thepace was steady from start to finish. Even though this was the first time this specific was offered it was well structured, well planned out, well coordinated and executed.
    Thoughts I tookaway:
    OODA loop.Reset the aggressor. Distraction.Negate their advantage when possible. Disrupt theirthought process. Tenths of seconds matter.
    Always humanize yourself, never turn your back on an aggressor as it will trigger an attack
    Have a plan. Plan onwhat to do and what NOT to do.
    Expect the unexpected. Anticipate the escalation, plan for it and what you will do when it happens. Be surprised if it doesn’t happen NOT the other way round. Plan ongetting shot at, plan on being robbed…
    Forced pairings such as “we” need to do this, “We’ll” beable to do this. Alarm bells should go off (especially for women.) Be rude, beabrasive, be abrupt Stop the situation right there. You have already been singled out, targeted and are prey.
    False assurances.I won’t hurt you, everything will be OK, I’ll let you go, Alarm bells need to be going off. The decision has already been madeand you are already the victim.
    Most of these scenarios involved 3-6 shots in real life. Unfortunately some never got ashot off. Have a plan.
    Carry with one in the chamber.
    Who ever talks first provide the police the ‘working theory’. Most ‘participants’ are only too happy to spill their guts. Interestingly here that BBI's eluded to the fact that it may be best for you to get out in front of the situation thereby putting the burden on the opposition. On the other hand most attorneys tell you to clam up until you can engage an attorney. I can see the merits to both but would need to treat this on an individual basis.
    I look forward to DefensivePistol Concepts 2 but in the interim I have plenty to work on, practice and think about. As usual it was good to train with familiar faces and new ones.
    Thanks to all who participated.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom