• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I should have grabbed my "buddy" and pulled him back to safety while screaming "GET TO DA CHOPPAH!!!!" But it
    didn't occur to me in time. And my marksmanship at that distance was significantly lacking that day.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    It DID occur to me to shoot him, put him down, and use him for cover, but I thought it might make someone nervous, so I controlled my urge. Any friend worth having would WANT you to do that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I was the only one, at least from the first class, to work in a BUG. :p

[video=youtube_share;SsQ9LdqE7vg]http://youtu.be/SsQ9LdqE7vg[/video]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

False. I saw Rhino perform a NY reload.

I brought my .38 snubby, but totally forgot about it... kinda wish I'd brought it out to remind myself how much I suck with it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Like I said at the class, very nice. Very good application of what we talked about and a good application of pocket carry along with a demonstration of its role as a concealed draw.

The hits were good shooting with indexing only. The shot on the second target was perfect center mass and if the bullet did its part would likely be a spine hit. I didn't see where the shots on the first target hit as I was watching you.

Watching the video I'd ask one thing: Why bring it up so high before starting forward movement? Once its above the belt line its clear of the pocket. Bringing it up to your rib cage makes sense if you're going to get that second hand on it, but for what you did, how much faster would you have been to clear your pocket and immediately move it into that retention position to fire? 2/10ths of a second, maybe? You've got a solid plan and a good presentation. Find that extra efficiency of movement and it'd be real tough to beat.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So did BBI do any shooting?

More importantly did he yell LEEROY JENKINS!!! when he did it?

Dang it, I knew I forgot something.

The only shooting I did was to demonstrate reloads. Probably 12 rounds from the P229 and 12 rounds from the GP100. Oh, and I did fire 2 rounds for a demonstration of what one person did in a scenario. For everything else I used a blue gun.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Good class, BBI and Coach made a good team. I enjoyed the real world aspect of this class. Hearing the setup, running the scenario, then hearing what actually happened sets this class apart from purely hypothetical situations.

I also found the psychology and common ploys information to be very useful. I don't think like a criminal so it was helpful to get a glimpse behind the curtain.

I would definitely be interested in a follow-up class.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Watching the video I'd ask one thing: Why bring it up so high before starting forward movement? Once its above the belt line its clear of the pocket. Bringing it up to your rib cage makes sense if you're going to get that second hand on it, but for what you did, how much faster would you have been to clear your pocket and immediately move it into that retention position to fire? 2/10ths of a second, maybe? You've got a solid plan and a good presentation. Find that extra efficiency of movement and it'd be real tough to beat.

Good note. Definitely something to work on.

I think the extra travel comes from muscle memory. I do practice shooting that gun from in tight to the body, but most of my practice happens at indoor ranges where you're limited on what you can do drawing from the holster and you have to raise the gun up to clear the height of the bench.

The takeaway is that I need to find more places to practice outdoors.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The takeaway is that I need to find more places to practice outdoors.

I hear this all the time. A proper range near the metro area is needed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It DID occur to me to shoot him, put him down, and use him for cover, but I thought it might make someone nervous, so I controlled my urge. Any friend worth having would WANT you to do that.

I offered only words of encouragement to my comrade, Ray-Ray.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have an overall positive impression of this class now that I have completed it and had a few days to process. Sometimes when we compose and share our thoughts about classes, the emotional aspects affect how and what we express, so I have chosen to wait a few days.

First, I think the concept of focusing on scenarios is a valuable practice. Taking those scenarios from actual, local events makes it even more relevant to all participants. In retrospect, I am convinces this a good idea. The discussions and questions & answers related to the scenarios contained much value to me.

Second, I was able to evaluate some aspects of my daily carry gear from a new perspective under circumstances I had not previous considered. I have new information to consider and I was pleased that some decisions I've made along the way are not only still valid for me, they also will help me capitalize on some new concepts.

Third, I think BBI's analogy to describe the "OODA Loop" to regular people is inspired and accessible to those of us who have not been indoctrinated as Air Force pilots or Naval aviators. You can say "OODA," explain what it means, used the words that comprise the acronym, but sometimes an understanding on a practical level evades many. I think the number of people "get" is smaller than the number of people who believe that they "get it." The way BBI explains it makes sense to me and will probably make sense to most people on an intellectual, psychological, and emotional level. Very good stuff!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Third, I think BBI's analogy to describe the "OODA Loop" to regular people is inspired and accessible to those of us who have not been indoctrinated as Air Force pilots or Naval aviators. You can say "OODA," explain what it means, used the words that comprise the acronym, but sometimes an understanding on a practical level evades many. I think the number of people "get" is smaller than the number of people who believe that they "get it." The way BBI explains it makes sense to me and will probably make sense to most people on an intellectual, psychological, and emotional level. Very good stuff!

I look forward to the rerun, because I am one of those who don't really get it

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

+1.

Top Bottom