• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I did and BBI said we could it was our van. In real life I would have been out of the van anyway. Good observation.

Note: BBI did remind us of point of aim shooting from inside or outside through a windshield.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I wonder how many people who realized it have ever shot through a windshield and know how that'll effect the bullet. We need to shoot more windshields.
    This. I've shot windshields and the best bet shooting from the inside of the vehicle, very unpleasant experience btw, is to shoot out a hole to shoot through. As Jackson states, we need to do this live to figure out the method.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have a van on it's last leg :) well maybe. I'd have to check with the wife first.
    Or, we shoot it up and say it was Rhino's fault!

I've never shot through a window... but I don't think I would hesitate to do so. The noise from inside a vehicle would likely affect me more

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have a van on it's last leg :) well maybe. I'd have to check with the wife first.
    Or, we shoot it up and say it was Rhino's fault!

I've never shot through a window... but I don't think I would hesitate to do so. The noise from inside a vehicle would likely affect me more

The noise is significant, but the little tiny flecks of glass floating around are the crappier part. If the windshield is intact it can affect the path of the bullet pretty significantly. Even with the target just feet from the hood you could see a foot or more of deflection. If the target is yards away you very well may miss altogether.

The real problem is this is very difficult to predict. As I understand it, the angle of the windshield to the muzzle, how sturdy the glass is, distance of muzzle to windshield all affect how this will work out.

If you get the muzzle right up on the windshield and shoot until it makes a little hole, you can essentially shoot through the hole. The more the windshield is shot up, it becomes more flexible and has less effect too. It also becomes more difficult to see through which doesn't help anything.

In my opinion, unless whatever you're shooting is within a couple yards of the bumper, just get out of the car. You don't want to be stuck in a car in a gunfight anyway unless it is moving you out of it.

Last edited:

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    Agreed. You need to practice it if you are going to do it. I saw others lean out and shoot off hand. Much more realistic than what I did. I also would have hit the steering wheel with the gun probably the door and the A post when I moved to shoot through the windshield. That was actually the first time I have ever shot from a seated position.

I may get a chance this summer to shoot from a car or truck. Dude probably wont let me shoot his windshield though.

Last edited:

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I glad obijohn brought up the critique. I had thought about posting some of the things I was not happy with about my performance but probably would not have taken the time to do it.
    1. Lack of movement. We moved on the firing line as a group. Then when the scenarios started I remained stationary. I was trained to move so not any of my trainers fault.
    2. Lack of verbal commands. The only time I talked was during the off body carry but then, when I pointed the gun at the unarmed bad guy I turned into silent Bob. I hope he understood what I wanted him to do! Again not what I was trained to do so my own fault.

I toyed with three different tac reloads. Both mags in the hand at the same time (no good), stow the mag in a pocket, and letting the mag fall to the ground. I think I prefer stowing the mag on a tac reload and of course letting the mag fall to the ground on a slide lock emergency reload.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I was in the vehicle scenario, I purposely shifted to my left hand for the second target because I knew that if I were in a vehicle, the pillar and windshield would have been in my line of sight for those shots. I noted that brother obijohn did the same (without collaboration . . . brothers are weird).

I toyed with three different tac reloads. Both mags in the hand at the same time (no good), stow the mag in a pocket, and letting the mag fall to the ground. I think I prefer stowing the mag on a tac reload and of course letting the mag fall to the ground on a slide lock emergency reload.

What circumstances in the scenarios (whether described or your interpretation) led you choosing to do tactical reloads instead of just dropping the magazine and getting a new mag in your gun?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What circumstances in the scenarios (whether described or your interpretation) led you choosing to do tactical reloads instead of just dropping the magazine and getting a new mag in your gun?

I was wondering the same thing. I did not see, and I did not get to shoot the scenarios, one that required doing more than shooting with the primary magazine. My Plan A is to shoot until the gun is empty and then reload. Unless I am standing in Waist deep water or something then I will be doing a speed reload.

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana

There was nothing about the scenarios that dictated how I topped off the gun. When the scenario ended I topped off the gun (most of the time) and never ran empty during any of the scenarios. Since this was not a fundamentals class I chose to practice reloading three different ways, juggling, stowing, and dropping.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There was nothing about the scenarios that dictated how I topped off the gun. When the scenario ended I topped off the gun (most of the time) and never ran empty during any of the scenarios. Since this was not a fundamentals class I chose to practice reloading three different ways, juggling, stowing, and dropping.

Good. See what works in training. Go into the real thing knowing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was wondering the same thing. I did not see, and I did not get to shoot the scenarios, one that required doing more than shooting with the primary magazine. My Plan A is to shoot until the gun is empty and then reload. Unless I am standing in Waist deep water or something then I will be doing a speed reload.

Good plan!

Ah! That makes sense now. You were doing what I consider administrative reloads afterward and between. Thanks!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Or will you default to your training (speed reload):)
    You should be getting an email soon about that coaching session I mentioned after class.

There was a time that I would say no way it would happen. But I think the first reload would be a speed reload and then I would wake up a bit. When I shoot IDPA instead of USPSA I have to catch a lot of mags in mid air.

Top Bottom