• ...and so much more!
  • hereforthecootbash

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    Saw 5 this morning in Hendricks county. One walked under me well before shooting light, looked like a doe but so dark I could mainly just see the silhouette and the white of the tail. Passed on a little 6 I’ve been seeing right about sun up. Around 9 had a beautiful 8 chasing a big doe around about 80 yards from me. Never came in close enough for a shot. Hit him with a bleat a few times. He stopped and turned but decided he wasn’t leaving what he had for what might be. Saw a decent 6 about 30 minutes later. He was staying on the same trail the 8 and his lady had been on and moving with a purpose. Climbed down around 10 and just got back up in the stand now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Question for you guys that are seeing bucks at what seem to be good ranges, are you just waiting for something bigger or? I've only been deer hunting once and that was when I was a kid, so I'm just curious. Back then, if I'd have seen a 6 or 8 pointer within range, I'd have shot for sure (but I was gun hunting, not bow hunting).

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Pretty frustrated so far. We literally have does walking around in front of our cameras like they’re looking for bucks. We haven’t had a shooter on camera for two months. Still an excess of corn standing around us which has been dry enough to cut for two months and our lovely November weather we’ve had this far are super helpful also.
    Its been a tough year. This was tonight at very last light. Came within 20yds of the blind, but no shot to be had. A few miles from your house, actually.

19ce3df3cbb573d3f668def2260a447a.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Question for you guys that are seeing bucks at what seem to be good ranges, are you just waiting for something bigger or? I've only been deer hunting once and that was when I was a kid, so I'm just curious. Back then, if I'd have seen a 6 or 8 pointer within range, I'd have shot for sure (but I was gun hunting, not bow hunting).

Every hunter is different, and right all at the same time. I pass a ton of young bucks because I spend a ton of time on stand, I dont mind not filling my tag, and I like to see them grow up. That is "right" for me.

Some guys kill the first thing they see. Maybe they haven't killed much, or only hunt once a year. That is "right" for them.

The only time hunting becomes wrong is when folks complain to hunters like me "can't eat horns, etc" or folks that hunt like me say "should have let him grow a year"

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Also, I can say for a fact, I've passed bucks that are bigger than anything I've ever killed (my biggest scored 145 when I was 15). That may seem stupid to some, but this year I have the honor of hunting a 7 1/2 year old stud, that was 150 inch as a 4 year old when he bedded 50 yds from me in gun season. Its very likely I never kill this buck the buck in question. But for me, you don't know until you let them grow. If I dont kill him, or someone else does, thats fine. To me the hunt is about the experience, the kill has very little to do with it. Tracking this guy as he matured has been the hunting experience of my life.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wow what a day. Sat all day. I saw 6 bucks. I took my nephew. told him he had a shooter coming in. He took a nice 125" 9 pointer. They are moving. All bucks walking in woods ainsley if ur not in the woods. Get there

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wed Wow what a day. Sat all day. I saw 6 bucks. I took my nephew. told him he had a shooter coming in. He took a nice 125" 9 pointer. They are moving. All bucks walking in woods ainsley if ur not in the woods. Get there

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville

I am a rack hunter. Outside tgecears are my good idea. does are my meat

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    To me the hunt is about the experience, the kill has very little to do with it. Tracking this guy as he matured has been the hunting experience of my life.

Same here. I value the hunt 10 fold over the kill. I’m only in it for big bucks (most of the time) because it allows me to spend a lot of time in the woods. If I get one that’s great. A lot of hard work came together, if I don’t I still get hours and hours and hours on stand.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I was able to get a mid 130s 10 pt tonight. I saw a small 8 walking in. The one I shot was at 4:50 as he was cruising through. After finding him and getting ready to walk out a deer blew in the tree field behind me. It was a booner bouncing away. In the past I have usually seen the most buck activity around the 10th-12th. I didn't get to hunt yesterday but it seems like the pattern continues. The next couple of days should be really good.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for the explanations guys! If I had freezer space I'd likely be a meat hunter, but I do understand the allure of getting a trophy sized buck too. And I definitely understand about just being out in the woods, no matter the results and can relate to that. :yesway:

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville

Comes to bucks I'm a trophy hunter. General guidelines, outside the ears. I do draw hunts for my meat. I harvest 3-5 deer a year. I pass about 10-15 bucks a year. sometimes dont fill my buck tag. I'm fine with that. I'd guess I'm in the woods about 40 days through the season

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Comes to bucks I'm a trophy hunter. General guidelines, outside the ears. I do draw hunts for my meat. I harvest 3-5 deer a year. I pass about 10-15 bucks a year. sometimes dont fill my buck tag. I'm fine with that. I'd guess I'm in the woods about 40 days through the season

I haven't filled a buck tag since 2015. I wait until the last half of muzzleloader season, and take a few does, and call it a day. This year I did kill a doe in October, just be cause we discovered a new jerky recipe we wanted to try, and I hadn't taken a bow deer in about 8 years.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Depends on the situation for me. I have killed small spike bucks, but I've also passed on them as well. Each year is different for me and my availability to get in the woods. Last year I only had 1 weekend (2 days) so I killed what I saw for the meat. This year I'm going to a completely different property that I've never been to with a friend - so I'll follow his rules if there are any. If he tells me to shoot whatever I see, I'll likely kill the first thing I see because my availability only gives me 2 Saturdays to hunt this year.

Top Bottom