• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Deer dogs are trained to run deer,coon dogs trained to run coons, rabbit dogs trained to run rabbits etc. Really pretty simple.

Oh I’m clear on how dogs are trained and a good Coon dog won’t chase deer. They still smell like a dog, they still bay their asses off and mature bucks still don’t know the difference and won’t tolerate them and stick around. Pretty simple really.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Sitting in a chair on the edge of a field. I'm a guest here and don't know my way around. I went where he pointed. There is a decent trail through the tree line 20ish yards away so we will see what happens.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Friday update. Doe at 20 yards at 09:00. Decent 8 pointer walked through at 10:15. I only sat till 1230, he to run to town for LP. My nephew was sitting 1/4 miles from me. He saw a doe at 800, then a buck chasing 2 does full bore at 1100. Saturday's the big day. Everyone stay safe

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Drinking coffee a little after sun up this morning, heard a shot fired over to the east. A few minutes later an eight pointer trotted into the back yard from that way, looked around and decided to hang out a while.
    Heh, maybe in the safe space he won't be triggered.:lmfao:

Oh well. Wished him good luck and got a refill. The wife's flowers are all gone for the year so he's welcome to hang out a while and give May Bell something to meow at. Comes back too often he could end up in the freezer. Maybe should load the .62 Hawken and lean it in the corner.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Got called into work at 2am and didn’t get out until 8am...into stand at 1040 checking cameras along the way.

Its definitely “on” based on the movement on cameras...

Heard some shots on nearby properties late this morning but not too awful many...here’s to the “lunch bump” moving deer!

sp3worker

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Filled my buck tag this morning

b2f5c442-4516-47de-ac7b-ebd48ae06205_jpg-1684041.JPG

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Didn't see anything this morning. Heard tons of shots, though. Hopefully the combine in the field across the way will push something to me.

hans1911

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Sep 10, 2018
    Covington
    Saw a small doe and a little 4pt buck this morning around 9. The only thing moving at day break was a stinking coyote.
    Hopefully this rain lets up a bit, getting ready to head back out.
    Stay safe!

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Got my days off revoked, but did get to go Friday for a bit. Friday evening saw two little bucks come through, noses on the ground. They were followed by a weirdly colored coyote, which pretty much shut the woods down until nightfall.

Speaking of fall... use a harness and do not do anything to take it out of service while on the way up, down, or in your stand. I took a pretty decent fall with the bottom half of my climber Friday and was blessed to not land on anything other than leaves, small flat sticks, and mud. If it would have been the morning sit with all the cut saplings... *shudder*
    1dda160ab5cafc31c9ede85a1eb0c30b.jpg

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    attachment.php

7:35 this morning. I stayed in my stand untill 11:00 waiting for a doe and only saw two more smaller bucks.

It was the first deer taken with this rifle. It's a Marlin 336 I had rebored and rechambered to .38/55. The 200gr Sierra Game King did the job well.

glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Got to the stand this morning about an hour before legal shooting hours(first shot I heard was 15 minutes early). Shortly after 7 I had 4 does move through at about 170 yards away. I decided not to take a shot and watched them wander into a small woods to bed down. Sat all day and with the exception of some turkeys I didn’t see anything else all day until the same 4 does came wandering out at about 4:50. Decided since I never saw much during bow season I would go ahead a take a shot if one presented itself. Shortly thereafter one of them stopped broadside at 165 yards. Shot hit a little higher than I like but still obliterated both lungs. She ran 100 yards before crashing. Little disappointed in the 6.5CM with the 125 gr Winchester Deer Season XP, likely going to look into a different round for net season.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    We had a great morning. I met my dad and brother to hunt with them. I had a friend with me who is new to hunting. He was able to shoot a doe with his 350 legend. I'm a fan of that caliber now. My brother shot as doe that ran after my friends shot. My wife stayed home and hunted nearby. She was in the stand at 7:30 and in 30 min shot a buck and two does!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    About a week or so ago I sold a Browning 12ga to a super nice ol guy suffering with terminal cancer. He told me he thinks it will be his last season and he wanted a nice gun to give to his grandson so they could go out hunting together.

I got an email yesterday with a picture simply captioned "Thanks buddy":

00l0l_bCCXnFbuwi7_0bC0gc_1200x900.jpg

ETA: me after opening his email

tenor.gif

Last edited:

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Saturday morning, I saw 2 small does and 3 small bucks. I stopped counting shots at 100 that morning. There shouldn't be a deer left alive in the area!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Need to vent here for a sec:
    Had been planning a set up in a small acre or so field my grandfather owns for about 6 months. It's adjacent to several acres of woods he owns, all of which borders a small country road with maybe 8 houses. I went out bow hunting a few times, mainly to test the climbing stand and view from a 10-12 foot tall point.
    So Saturday morning comes and as I'm walking to my stand, which is about 100 yards deep in to the field, I hear a doe snort. So I quickly get up in the tree and wait. For the next 30 minutes I hear nothing but deer moving all around me. Had to be at least 1 buck chasing whatever does where there. I'm just counting down the minutes to first light so I can lay one down.
    Just then I see two jerks with flashlights walking in the field toward me. Still about 20 minutes to light. I can't believe what's going on. Two trespassers, I thought, walking to me. I give them a few quiet whistles and they turn around. To my chagrin they don't leave, they go in to the woods where all the deer are. I can see them moving around their lights in the woods, and hear all the deer moving the other way across the property line. Nothing I can do except wait, in hopes that at least one is left.
    I do hear a buck crashing around maybe 30 min after it's light out, but a doe in heat calls it to where all the other deer were. Saw nothing the rest of the day.
    Come to find out, a family friend (who cleans my grandparents house, and lives in one of the houses across the road) called me as I was walking to my truck. She told me it was her son in law and grandson, looking for squirrels of all things. Can't believe how dumb someone could be. I did tell her, 3 years ago, I wasn't planning on deer hunting on that property and I didn't care if they hunted squirrels in the woods. I also told her earlier this year I was planning on setting up for deer there. So either she didn't care, or her son in law didn't check with her about tramping through those woods on opening day. Nothing I can do now. I'm mainly disappointed because it was the perfect set up and the perfect day for seeing deer. I've got three young boys so I don't have many days I can make my wife watch the boys all day. Hopefully I'll get another shot this week during the rut.
    Such is life.

Top Bottom