Dear trainers: The cost of the NRA *Basic* Pistol course is too damn high!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    What makes you think I don't already? Merely because I don't advertise here, or because I don't try to make a profit from it? There are plenty of people here who do, so why should I bother when my interest isn't in making money from it?

Do you have actual classes, or do you go out with someone who is new to shooting to teach them? Big difference.

I agree with bwframe, if there is so much money to be had, then why not reap the rewards? Sounds like trainers are making a killing.

I checked the NRA website and I could not find any classes below $100 with most ranging $120-150. I'm sure there is an exception where there is a good hearted instructor who is only charging $50, but I didn't come across it in my quick search. I would have to assume that people are paying that much and the instructors are making money. To that I say good for them. It's a business and they should be making money to make their time worth it. ( :xmad: Evil capitalists!!!) Not everyone can or will be a philanthropist like yourself. If you can offer a class at a very low price and not expect to make any money, then good for you too.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Nice.
    So that's what you are calling the instructors on here? "washed up" ?

Na, most of the NRA trainers on this forum aren't competition guys.

The competition guys who are are still competitors. I was just saying when I wash out, I may need something to do.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How much do you pay for training if you don't mind me asking?

A few pages back, I stated that I paid for 150/day for three days of training with two different high level competitors.

It was worth the money. Mostly, I learned how to train. A class isn't going to get you results. Results follow training.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like the1kidd03 and CB45 need to get together and start running basic gun handling classes...
    Lets go gents, time to put your money where your mouth is...
    ...after I verify you can walk the walk...

Didn't take long to sort that out, now did it? ;)

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For the record I like money and profit!

But sitting here thinking of affordable training in SouthEast IN

1) Hoosier Hills offers handgun training. $50 for members and $70 for non members. The instructor is excellent.
    2) Seymour PD offers a free course. I have not taken it but Mrs.VERT plans to when they offer it again.
    3) Columbus PD offers a $25 class. They do an excellent job.
    4) On Target in Sellersburg offers PCC1 for $75. Latewatch on INGO. Excellent
    5) SV40SW45 is a Grandmaster in USPSA. Local, one on one. He charged me $100. I should go see him again. Well worth the money.
    6) Sand Creek Conservation Club offers free hunters ed and should be moving forward with a chapter of the well armed women.
    7) I posted up earlier NRA Personal Protection in the Home for $100 or $150 per couple.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For the record I like money and profit!

But sitting here thinking of affordable training in SouthEast IN

1) Hoosier Hills offers handgun training. $50 for members and $70 for non members. The instructor is excellent.
    2) Seymour PD offers a free course. I have not taken it but Mrs.VERT plans to when they offer it again.
    3) Columbus PD offers a $25 class. They do an excellent job.
    4) On Target in Sellersburg offers PCC1 for $75. Latewatch on INGO. Excellent
    5) SV40SW45 is a Grandmaster in USPSA. Local, one on one. He charged me $100. I should go see him again. Well worth the money.
    6) Sand Creek Conservation Club offers free hunters ed and should be moving forward with a chapter of the well armed women.
    7) I posted up earlier NRA Personal Protection in the Home for $100 or $150 per couple.

That's way better than some of the prices that the OP brought up for *basic* training! Awesome post!

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    When we are done complaining about the cost of training can we move on to complaining about the cost of other things? Maybe that ammo is too expensive, black guns are too expensive, flashlights.....

Anyone else into photography? Probably not, because it is too expensive. Anyhow, here is 8 hours of class for a "basic" photography class that is "economically" priced. Indy Photo Coach Fundamentals of Photography Class Gotta wonder how much the shutter bugs are complaining.

Sorry for the thread jack.... just trying to have fun! :ar15:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Do you have actual classes, or do you go out with someone who is new to shooting to teach them? Big difference.

I agree with bwframe, if there is so much money to be had, then why not reap the rewards? Sounds like trainers are making a killing.

I checked the NRA website and I could not find any classes below $100 with most ranging $120-150. I'm sure there is an exception where there is a good hearted instructor who is only charging $50, but I didn't come across it in my quick search. I would have to assume that people are paying that much and the instructors are making money. To that I say good for them. It's a business and they should be making money to make their time worth it. ( :xmad: Evil capitalists!!!) Not everyone can or will be a philanthropist like yourself. If you can offer a class at a very low price and not expect to make any money, then good for you too.

Not all trainers use, nor are they required to use the NRA website. It's an available option to them to help them reach a wider audience. VERT is an example of an exception where he's already stated he charges less. IDK if he uses their site or not however. I have nothing against someone trying to make money. I just disagree that the most basic level of gun education is the field to do that because it entails such a high risk/potential reward for our community as a whole. I've got nothing against those that do, that's their choice. I just don't do the same myself.

I've take new shooters to the range almost regularly. That's not what I would call a class, although I give them no different level of instruction or help as I would anyone else. I am around and intentionally put myself around those who are new to firearms or not exactly gun friendly all the time. I do this for specific reasons, but it also has given me countless opportunities to take newbies to the range to get a different perspective on guns. I've met very few people whose mind I cannot change for the better on guns and gun rights, IF given enough time to communicate with them. That is essentially, why I do what I do.

I have a career that I enjoy and am good at. Much of what I bring up here is derived from that experience/education. That is where I make my income and I have no interest in making it from gun training.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When we are done complaining about the cost of training can we move on to complaining about the cost of other things? Maybe that ammo is too expensive, black guns are too expensive, flashlights.....

Anyone else into photography? Probably not, because it is too expensive. Anyhow, here is 8 hours of class for a "basic" photography class that is "economically" priced. Indy Photo Coach Fundamentals of Photography Class Gotta wonder how much the shutter bugs are complaining.

I was just at WalMart and they are out of 22 again. I have only been able to buy 475 rounds in 2013.

My wife is mad because I spent $600 on reloading press plus the components. Heck I spent $400 on brass.

Flashlights. Those darn things set me back 4 big ones. Lets not forget the weapons lights.

What is the deal with belts and holsters?

Just thought I should complain a little! :):

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the "shutter bugs" aren't at risk of losing their "shutters" because people buy them without knowing anything and pose risk of harm to others with them. Hence, why basic training is so important for everyone to have....but.....apparently, only if you can afford it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes I use the NRA website. Class says $100 because it only allows one price.

I can charge less because I am fortunate to have the support of my local club and people willing to help me for no pay. If it was not for that I could not do what I do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Something I have ALWAYS wanted to see in an INGO classifieds ad:

"Must sell gun to afford a training class"

I sold a nice Walther P22 to pay for my PPITH instructors course. I sold my fishing boat to fund the startup of Civic Responsibility & Safety (my "business" if you will). Does that count?

Since then my wife went back to work because my job was not enough. She got promoted and my employer has been kind to me. 2013 was a good year for us so I did not have to sell any guns to fund things. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom