• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The idea of DST is retarded. However, being synchronized with the timezone offset of the rest of the nation has utility. I’d like to see the nation dump it altogether. That’s not happening anytime soon. I can see, if you’re used to staying on EST all your life, this change would be upsetting. Especially if you don’t care about being synchronized with the rest of the country.

But, I do care, so neener, neener, neener! :p

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, your business got the hassle of changing clocks twice a year, but business was the driver of the change so they would always be on the same time as the rest of the country. I'm betting your company too gained some benefits.

MM

Since somewhere between 1900 and 1910 the mill has run 24 hours a day.
    It does not care what the hour is.
    It does not care if it's a Sunday.
    It does not care if it's a holiday.
    AM or PM, doesn't care.
    -20 degrees outside... don't care.
    200 degrees inside... don't care.

Then, there's the added hassle of record keeping when one day doesn't have a 2 AM, and another day has TWO 2 AMs.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So. DST was supposed to save candles or electricity.
    After all these years, they haven't shown that to be true. Some people say yes, some no.
    Then, what about the farmers? The farmers don't care.
    After the time change, there are upticks in accidents.
    People with small children or pets are annoyed because children/animals don't understand.

So.. what benefit are we getting?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Is it really that big of a deal to change clocks twice a year?

Changing the clocks is actually a pretty critical element of the whole seasonal shifting scheme, yes.

You'd never convince most people to just change all the schedules back and forth an hour every year. It sounds ridiculous to even suggest such a thing or that there is any benefit to be found in perpetually doing so.

Changing the clocks lets them pretend they aren't doing anything that absurd.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The idea of DST is retarded. However, being synchronized with the timezone offset of the rest of the nation has utility. I’d like to see the nation dump it altogether. That’s not happening anytime soon. I can see, if you’re used to staying on EST all your life, this change would be upsetting. Especially if you don’t care about being synchronized with the rest of the country.

On March 9th sunset is at 6:45:39 pm in Indianapolis, on March 10th, the day after DST, sunset will be 7:46:40 pm, more than an hour of daylight after the majority of people get off work and after school. It allows most people to get more done with some additional daylight when they need it.

MM

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Driving through neighborhoods, I rarely see people "using" their "extra" hour of daylight.
    They are in their houses watching TV, or playing games.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've been w/o daylight all winter. Why, exactly, do I need a 1-hour injection in the spring?

What I NEED is a consistent clock and calendar. The Good Lord provided me one - the sun is directly overhead at noon. Why do we need to mess with it?

Moving my sundial is a pain.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    On March 9th sunset is at 6:45:39 pm in Indianapolis, on March 10th, the day after DST, sunset will be 7:46:40 pm, more than an hour of daylight after the majority of people get off work and after school. It allows most people to get more done with some additional daylight when they need it.

MM

Why did we switch back to something else for a few winter months? How did that make any sense over setting it and forgetting it?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Driving through neighborhoods, I rarely see people "using" their "extra" hour of daylight.
    They are in their houses watching TV, or playing games.

You do need to get out more. In evening with daylight Indy parks and trails are full, thousands of families are at soccer, softball, track meets, and the like. You can even do some outdoor shooting before dark. It is beyond baffling that folks would complain about that.

MM

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You do need to get out more. In evening with daylight Indy parks and trails are full, thousands of families are at soccer, softball, track meets, and the like. You can even do some outdoor shooting before dark. It is beyond baffling that folks would complain about that.

MM

Then, set that as the time, AND LEAVE IT.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why did we switch back to something else for a few winter months? How did that make any sense over setting it and forgetting it?

If we did not fall back in the late fall sunset would be at 4:30 in late December, by falling back we shift the mid December sun to 8:02:27am sunrise and 5:23:27 sunset. As soon as they can we spring forward, GWB added 4 weeks of DST in 2007.

MM

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If we did not fall back in the late fall sunset would be at 4:30 in late December, by falling back we shift the mid December sun to 8:02:27am sunrise and 5:23:27 sunset. As soon as they can we spring forward, GWB added 4 weeks of DST in 2007.

MM

Who cares? Winter is just darker no matter what you do to the clocks or the work schedules. How does changing both for a few months make any sense or provide a benefit?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Who cares? Winter is just darker no matter what you do to the clocks or the work schedules. How does changing both for a few months make any sense or provide a benefit?

There are just two choices evidenced by the December/January sunrise and sunset times, EST 7am sunrise and 4:30pm sunset or EDST 8am sunrise and 5:30 sunset. The majority want the latter.

MM

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    There are just two choices evidenced by the December/January sunrise and sunset times, EST 7am sunrise and 4:30pm sunset or EDST 8am sunrise and 5:30 sunset. The majority want the latter.

MM

I asked how changing the clocks and schedules for a few darker winter months made any sense or provided a benefit.

If you can't come up with anything, that's fine, I didn't expect you to. ;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

MM

I asked how changing the clocks and schedules for a few darker winter months made any sense or provided a benefit.

If you can't come up with anything, that's fine, I didn't expect you to. ;)

The majority want at least a little daylight after the normal workday, they do not want to go home in full darkness at 5:00pm.

Pretty simple...

MM

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    daylight savings time is a pure invention of fire alarms and battery companies for profit. if God had intended for us to have daylight savings time we would have two Joshua moments a year and be done with it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

MM

What about us early risers that would prefer to have it get light at around 5:30 a.m.? I go to bed around 8 p.m.. I don't get any of the "benefit" of it staying light longer. I feel like it's almost lunch time by the time it gets light enough to work out in the yard. :):

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In large part having to reset my clocks twice a year is no big deal. However, as a sportsman racer I hate it on the weekends through the spring and summer. Since it gets dark much later it means it stays hotter when race time rolls around. I preferred the earlier sunset so temps started cooling off and the lights would come on. Racing just looks better under the lights when you can see all the sparks and header flames etc. But it's way beyond my control so I just deal with it

Top Bottom