• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    What is with Indiana people and their fixation on Daylight Savings Time?

Never heard anyone in Marquette MI constantly bringing up the Eastern time zone as an issue. Never a peep in Thunder Bay, Ontario about switching to the Central Time zone.

Move On.
    Twice a year Indiana people get to talk about something instead of the weather and politics. I started this thread way back in 2014 and still going strong.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What is with Indiana people and their fixation on Daylight Savings Time?

Never heard anyone in Marquette MI constantly bringing up the Eastern time zone as an issue. Never a peep in Thunder Bay, Ontario about switching to the Central Time zone.

Move On.
    The reason people ***** about DST is that Indiana formerly did not observe it. Indiana became a safe space, if you will, for standard time. Now that Indiana observes DST, the standard time snowflakes are triggered by clock changing. And Mitch Daniels is literally Satan.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    1l80ob.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Portions of Indiana did observe it before Mitch Daniels. I remember as a kid spring forward and fall back....several counties in the northern part of the state followed this and were on slow time half of the year. Jasper county had two time zones during DST....Remington was on fast time and Rensselaer was on slow time, and kids from both towns went to the same school. When my siblings were at Purdue, we dealt with it as well.

My current complaint isn't about DST....it's about the time zone differences between counties. I live 5 miles from eastern time and work on eastern time but our house and schools and other activities are on central time. Half of our appointments are in the other time zone. I get sick of putting on my calendar what time zone it is and what time that is for MY time. Can't we all just be one ONE time???

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When Daniels Standard Time started, I went outside at 2AM to view the jump of the stars as they moved one hour instantly. Boy was I disappointed to find he lied and that the rest of the universe did nothing different.

It was so nice back before Daniels Standard Time when we didn't have to worry about clock changes, and find out how dangerous it is for a couple of days to lose that one hour of sleep. What a joke!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Portions of Indiana did observe it before Mitch Daniels. I remember as a kid spring forward and fall back....several counties in the northern part of the state followed this and were on slow time half of the year. Jasper county had two time zones during DST....Remington was on fast time and Rensselaer was on slow time, and kids from both towns went to the same school. When my siblings were at Purdue, we dealt with it as well.

My current complaint isn't about DST....it's about the time zone differences between counties. I live 5 miles from eastern time and work on eastern time but our house and schools and other activities are on central time. Half of our appointments are in the other time zone. I get sick of putting on my calendar what time zone it is and what time that is for MY time. Can't we all just be one ONE time???

You know, I could've sworn we had DST back in the mid to late 60's or so. Now granted I was only 5 or 6 years old up to maybe 8 or 9, but I seem to remember it staying light until after 9 p.m. or so. I may be totally wrong though. Maybe it just seemed later.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The reason people ***** about DST is that Indiana formerly did not observe it. Indiana became a safe space, if you will, for standard time. Now that Indiana observes DST, the standard time snowflakes are triggered by clock changing. And Mitch Daniels is literally Satan.

All that plus, we are on the edge of the time zone line, some think the grass is greener on the other side of the line.

MM

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

There has to be a line somewhere, you just happen to live near it.

MM

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When Daniels Standard Time started, I went outside at 2AM to view the jump of the stars as they moved one hour instantly. Boy was I disappointed to find he lied and that the rest of the universe did nothing different.

It was so nice back before Daniels Standard Time when we didn't have to worry about clock changes, and find out how dangerous it is for a couple of days to lose that one hour of sleep. What a joke!

What Daniels did was right, he put us in sync with the rest of the country. He did not create daylight savings time just had us join the rest of the country that are on it. If you do not like daylight savings time then the venue to complain is at the federal government which controls that.

Is it really that big of a deal to change clocks twice a year?

MM

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What Daniels did was right, he put us in sync with the rest of the country. He did not create daylight savings time just had us join the rest of the country that are on it. If you do not like daylight savings time then the venue to complain is at the federal government which controls that.

Is it really that big of a deal to change clocks twice a year?

MM

You're welcome to come to my place of employment where it can take hours to do that task.
    Legacy electronics in heavy industry are often not user friendly.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Yes. Yes you can. Its called Universal Time (UTC), it is functionally identical to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and references the whole world to Greenwich, England

I will warn you, however; even people who use it all the time (aviation) still **** up the conversions to local time with startling regularity. It is no panacea

One revolution of the earth per ~24 hrs. 15 degrees per hour. Time zone boundaries should be 15 degrees/1037.5 miles apart, drawn as a meridian

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    There has to be a line somewhere, you just happen to live near it.

MM

Well, I don't like it and I want it changed so I don't have to deal with it. :draw:

Maybe I will be on time for those staff meetings if we are all on the same time instead of walking in when it is half over because I confused the stupid times again. I have to admit though, it is nice getting home from work a half hour before I leave there.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes. Yes you can. Its called Universal Time (UTC), it is functionally identical to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and references the whole world to Greenwich, England

I will warn you, however; even people who use it all the time (aviation) still **** up the conversions to local time with startling regularity. It is no panacea

One revolution of the earth per ~24 hrs. 15 degrees per hour. Time zone boundaries should be 15 degrees/1037.5 miles apart, drawn as a meridian

Do people in Ohio complain about DST time changes as much as Indiana people do?

MM

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You're welcome to come to my place of employment where it can take hours to do that task.
    Legacy electronics in heavy industry are often not user friendly.

Yes, your business got the hassle of changing clocks twice a year, but business was the driver of the change so they would always be on the same time as the rest of the country. I'm betting your company too gained some benefits.

MM

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, I don't like it and I want it changed so I don't have to deal with it. :draw:

Maybe I will be on time for those staff meetings if we are all on the same time instead of walking in when it is half over because I confused the stupid times again. I have to admit though, it is nice getting home from work a half hour before I leave there.

Aparently this view is in the minority, so if left to you, you would make everybody use one time as above.

MM

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    You know, I could've sworn we had DST back in the mid to late 60's or so. Now granted I was only 5 or 6 years old up to maybe 8 or 9, but I seem to remember it staying light until after 9 p.m. or so. I may be totally wrong though. Maybe it just seemed later.

You are not wrong, we did observe day back then and my memory tells me the dividing line between the central and eastern zones ran up the middle of indiana

Top Bottom