• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I would say air force too. But I was talking to my cousin the other day. Who is in the air force and I think this is at least his second term of duty. And he told me that right now its hard to get in, and you may not really want to go in now, things are getting worse. I'd say see if she likes the ROTC idea, and hopefully by then Obama will be out of office, we will be out of Iraq. And she'll be making more money as an officer and make more money in a job when she gets out.

You're right... it is hard to get in. A recruiter told her that they're overwhelmed with applicants right now due to the economy. She was told that they aren't taking anyone with a GED (genuine HS diploma's only) and no criminal records what-so-ever (not even a misdemeaner). She fits both of those requirements, and she's female, so they practically begged her to join. Apparently they're needing more women.

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    I agree 100% with you about the boyfriend. He's a bit of a loser if you ask me. But we won't get into that... I'm in a good mood right now and would like to stay that way. :):

She hasn't checked into the National Guard or Air Guard. I'll mention it to her and do some research. This is a new idea for her so she's still letting it sink in at this point.

I retired from the Air National Guard in '07 and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was the second best decision I ever made. Indiana will pay full tuition, room and board, and books to all state schools to Guard members(At least they were two years ago) in addition to the GI Bill. Usually the deployments are shorter than the Army and IMHO they treat their people better. She can go into everything from aircraft maintenance to nursing to computers and everything in between.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Is your daughter a "heady" type person?

Not at all a disparagement on the Army or Marines, but it seems to ME (as someone wholly separated from the armed services way of life) that the Air Force and Navy have more "heady" type jobs than Army or Marines.

If I were counseling my kid as you are yours, I'd try to steer towards the Air Force first, Coast Guard 2nd, Navy 3rd, Marines 4th, Army 5th.

Don't forget about the Coast Guard!

-J-

I'm with you on that one. My son is in the Coast Guard, this is his second enlistment with them and he plans to do at least twenty. It has been good to him and he enjoys it. My son told me that the Coast Guard has an 80% re-enlistment rate, the Air Force is at approx. 45% (the best that I can recall), the Army and Navy are at about 18% and the Marines are at 11%. Feel free to verify these numbers if they are important to you, I am just repeating what I was told, but assuming that they are true it shows the level of satisfaction. Everyone who I spoke to when I was of enlistment age said to go Air Force as you have read here. So I would look at the Coast Guard if she didn't hate water and boats along with the Air Force.

Good luck,

Terry

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    It all depends on what "job" you wanna do. Of course those who kill and get killed obviously have a lower re-enlistment rate.

Have her talk to various recruiters after she figures out what her career goals are.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well I served in the Coast Guard, and miss it dearly. They treat you very well. You get to serve, while remaining close to the states. Men, and Women can do all of the same jobs. Just something to look into.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Air Force is the one to join, IMO. Though Jeremy states they get paid better, they
    do not. All branches of the Armed Forces use the same Pay Table, by rank and time in service. They do get treated better, they do live better. I spent 16 years in the Marine Corps and spent the last 18 months of that time, teaching for the Air Force. it's much closer to civilian life than the others.

Well as far as remaining in grade, the Air Force may pay better. I know of a lot of people who are unable to retain their grade and are dropped to Corporal etc. Whereas, the Air Force uses educational advancement and EPR format for promotion. I Put E-3 on right after technical school and I put E-4 on before my three year mark. I tested for E-5 a couple months after that. Air Force is the way to go :twocents: The Guard and Reserve get promoted much faster from E-1 to E-5 though.

Last edited:

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I have not served in the military; however, I really appreciated reading about peoples' experience with the different branches of the military. A BIG THANK YOU to all who have served.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Was in Marines and Army. All told, 21 years as a grunt. I highly recommend A.F. Make sure she has a good idea what she wants to do before she sees the recruiter. The beenies are great, food good and safety wise she's about as safe as she can be during a war.
    :twocents: but what do I know? I was just a dumb grunt:ar15:

Bob

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'd also have her apply to all of the service academies, nothing like West Point on your resume :D

Also keep in mind, that most young ladies will be applying to the "easier" branches. Not saying anything against women, as I've served with some "badasses with boobs" as they called themselves, so have her keep in mind she will be one of many.

Lady Marines are definitely "one of the few", but for good reason, as they are cut from a different cloth. ;)

66MustangCvt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    South-East Indy
    Agreed. Going through that right now. It's kind of funny. Here I've been going along doing my job, and now I have companies telling me what I'm worth to them with my experience. Comparing their figures to what I've been making in the service, it's a huge confidence builder.

You should try IT work in a war zone...talk about some $$$. That will really jack up your confidence!

EUROTRASH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    'merica
    ive had no problems in the national guard. i dont have one complaint about it. i get paid every month for sure, i get college paid for, and get life and health insurance.im not gonna try to persuade anybody to join, but just make sure she does her research on benefits and stuff like that. and i did recruiting for a little bit and can tell you that if you request a ridiculous bonus, more than likely they will give it to you.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    You should try IT work in a war zone...talk about some $$$. That will really jack up your confidence!
    Yeah but IT can be a lot of fun also. Just remember that Iraq has all kinds of new rules that may cause you to be tried by THEIR courts:n00b: I think I may have left at the right time though they do pay stupid amounts of $$

Bob

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have mixed opinions on women in the military. I would not want my daughter in a combat unit.

However, I could never tell here no. Patriots do not come in gender. Many of our Civil War combatants were women. She would not hear me say no. I would give her my blessings and then Pray every day for her safety and well being.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you guys are only going to recommend the "cushy services", then just recommend she not join the military at all. Have her go apply for a gov't job. :p

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Of course I am a little biased. If your daughter is the type of person to take shortcuts, leave things unfinished, or looks for the easy out then any of the support services will do. Now if she gives 110%, can't stand losing, wants to look good in uniform, and little bit crazy. Well you know where I am going.

God Bless her in choice and thanks in advance.

Semper Fi

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Of course I am a little biased. If your daughter is the type of person to take shortcuts, leave things unfinished, or looks for the easy out then any of the support services will do. Now if she gives 110%, can't stand losing, wants to look good in uniform, and little bit crazy. Well you know where I am going.

God Bless her in choice and thanks in advance.

Semper Fi

I have two daughters. One of each as you describe. They're both considering joining... the youngest is gung-ho about it. The oldest (the one this thread is about) is afraid she'll lose her boyfriend (which in my opinion would be the best thing for her). She told me last night that she wants to go talk to a recruiter again and ask some more questions before making a final decision. I'm just trying to very gently nudge her along at this point. "Constructive encouragement" you might say.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've shared a lot of this with her and she was touched that you all cared enough to look out for her... even if only virtually. I must say, so am I.

:patriot: And a special thanks to those of you who have served... even if it was the "cushy services".

Keep the thoughts coming by all means...

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Having spent 26 years active duty in the USAF, I can most assure you that the Air Force is THE service for her if:

-She's got intellect
    -She likes technical subjects
    -She aspires to get a college education
    -She's motivated
    -She enjoys teamwork
    -She likes a challenge
    -She likes to travel

Just since 9/11 I've "visited" many interesting places, like Afghanistan, Bulgaria, Romania, Germany, England, Turkministan, France, Kyrgystan, Greenland, Honduras and Iraq. Along the way, they paid for an A.S., B.S. and M.S. degree. All the folks here have written regarding the AF and the better treatment and living quarters are spot on. I have spent most of my career working with the Army. So I have seen the way they treat their personnel. My 21 year old daughter decided to NOT enter the military and that's her choice, but if I were to recommend only one service....to my daughter, it would be the United States Air Force.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions/concerns you may have.

Top Bottom