• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Dude, I understand that completely but let me share a little with you. My cousin (yeah, there are a LOT of us in the Army :D ) was an 11 series, I forget which one (TOW gunner) and he was always taking some class on downtime or studying for some CLEP test or another while he was deployed. During on of his re-enlistments, he went into EOD and did that for four years.

It is a lot easier now with Online classes and distance learning to get an education while in the service.

When I was a private in the early '90's it was almost impossible to get. Unless you never deployed. I deployed a lot. I was single and it was were the money is even today.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    As a former blue-suit, military life isn't for everyone; each service lends it's own unique flavor to the mix. My daughter is now a senior in high school. As far as I'm concerned, if she chooses to go in that direction, I'll be a proud Dad whether it's air, land or sea.
    :patriot:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I was all about the CAV Scout myself, having served in an ACR, but then my cousin pointed out...

why go for:

Combat%20Action%201st%20Award%20Ox.jpg

when you can go for:

Combat%20Infantry%201st%20Award.jpg

It may not be a CIB, but I do have a EIB.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I spent four years in the Air Force 1981-1985. The point these members make about the AF being the most like civilian life is very correct. My advice is to find a college with an ROTC program and let Uncle Sam pay for her education. In return, she will owe him 4-6 years active service AS AN OFFICER! The career tracks offered to an officer are much more exciting and better paid. The civilian career offers that follow will also be much better. Also, in four years, perhaps the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be over.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Did I hear someone say Airforce? I spent fours years in military service, in the U.S.M.C. I read a report while I was in that said the Airforce, at that time(circa 1977) spent more on recreation, than the Marine Corps. spent for a budget! Remember though, the Marines are a dept. of the Navy, so we got mostly left-overs!

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    If you do go Army, go Intel. They say it's not really the Army...and they are right. Also, when you get out you'll have a clearance which is a guaranteed job (usually higher paying) for most.

:twocents:

Yes and no. Depends on the command. Tactical units, you're really in the Army. Strategic units, you're in a joint service environment. Big difference between the two. Either way, MI Soldiers are a pain in a commander's ass. They teach us to analyze, which leads to "Why?" as being the most common response to a direct order. By turns amusing and irritating.

Jenny, depending on her ASVAB scores, MI is definitely an option that I'd advise her to take. Admittedly, a lot of that is because that's my chosen field. If she has any questions about it, feel free to PM me and we'll get in touch.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You do know what CIB means right...

Uhhhh yeah... else I wouldn't have posted the two. Both are earned for combat action, one is for the Infantry, the other came out later to reward those not in the Infantry that either engaged or where engaged by the enemy.

I also know what an EIB, CMB and CPB is too ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Jenny, depending on her ASVAB scores, MI is definitely an option that I'd advise her to take. Admittedly, a lot of that is because that's my chosen field. If she has any questions about it, feel free to PM me and we'll get in touch.

MI is also good because they get a lot of Information Security training. Having working in the IT security group at my job for awhile, I met former Army MI guys who now run Internet Security Systems before hey were bought out by IBM.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Uhhhh yeah... else I wouldn't have posted the two. Both are earned for combat action, one is for the Infantry, the other came out later to reward those not in the Infantry that either engaged or where engaged by the enemy.

I also know what an EIB, CMB and CPB is too ;)

See you assumed I was going to tell you Combat Infantry Badge. You should not make assumptions.

When in truth CIB stands for Combat Is Boring... ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    See you assumed I was going to tell you Combat Infantry Badge. You should not make assumptions.

When in truth CIB stands for Combat Is Boring... ;)

ROFL. Question though... do you have to have the EIB first? Or will you get a CIB if you see combat as an 11B?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    ROFL. Question though... do you have to have the EIB first? Or will you get a CIB if you see combat as an 11B?

No you do not have to be awarded the EIB first.
    You must be an 11 or 18 series MOS that takes direct action against the enemy. Or some such wording, if you want the exact wording I am sure I can go AR digging and find the exact wording.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I would say air force too. But I was talking to my cousin the other day. Who is in the air force and I think this is at least his second term of duty. And he told me that right now its hard to get in, and you may not really want to go in now, things are getting worse. I'd say see if she likes the ROTC idea, and hopefully by then Obama will be out of office, we will be out of Iraq. And she'll be making more money as an officer and make more money in a job when she gets out.

gearjmmer56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    lafayette
    In my opinion if SHE decides to go in, tell her that good jobs abounds in the Air Force and Navy.One last thing
    I would list the Marines as my last choice altho I personally would redo my time in the U.S.M.C. Too bloody old now :-(

66MustangCvt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    South-East Indy
    Yes and no. Depends on the command. Tactical units, you're really in the Army. Strategic units, you're in a joint service environment. Big difference between the two. Either way, MI Soldiers are a pain in a commander's ass. They teach us to analyze, which leads to "Why?" as being the most common response to a direct order. By turns amusing and irritating.

True. It does depend on the command for the time you are in, but regardless of that you'll still come away with a security clearance which(if you are smart about it) you can command a decent salary if you have some skill.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Sunday on the farm

Back in the sixties every day in the Army was like Sunday on the farm. Every meal a banquet. Three hots and a cot. What more could you ask for.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    True. It does depend on the command for the time you are in, but regardless of that you'll still come away with a security clearance which(if you are smart about it) you can command a decent salary if you have some skill.

Agreed. Going through that right now. It's kind of funny. Here I've been going along doing my job, and now I have companies telling me what I'm worth to them with my experience. Comparing their figures to what I've been making in the service, it's a huge confidence builder.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    One thing I have noticed in my time in the service is that in the Army and the Corps is that you just don't see a lot of people who smile...

Every time you get on an Air Force base everyone seems happy...

Seriously the Corps and the Army take a special kind of person to deal with the suck.

Smiles don't keep your arse alive!;):ar15:

Top Bottom