• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I recommend against any military. But to be fair, I'm wired to think of things logically. The military doesn't agree. So it's a real struggle for me. But, the Air Force is definately the way to go if she's going in regardless.

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    I don't know what experiences others had and I am not sure why everyone suggests the "cushy" Air Force... Is this because she is a girl? I proudly wore the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Was it hard? Yes. Was it dangerous? Yes. Was it dirty, smelly, sandy, exhausting, life-threatening, uncomfortable and unpleasant? Absolutely. I didn't sign up for a tour around the world. I signed up to defend the Flag. Tell her to think about what she wants out of life, out of the next 10 years, etc. Ask her what she loves to do. Ask her what she feels passionate about. Ask her what values she believes in and which ones she would die for. Then talk to the recruiters.

Incidently, I had a young woman in my OCS class that LOVED the Corps! She loved the Flag and proudly guarded it day and night.

Remember (and make sure you have come to terms with) the phrase "The good of the Corps." Every branch has a similar term. Make sure you know what this means and can live with it.

To the best of my knowledge, I was the oldest person ever accepted as an Aviation Officer in the USMC. This is coming from a guy who chose this line of work as an adult, not a teenager. I didn't get free college. I didn't get any bonuses. Joining the military is not about the perks...they may be nice but they won't come close to equalling the possible cost of service. I would recommend it to every person on the planet...in fact I am half convinced that mandatory service would be a benefit to society. But as long as it is voluntary, find out all you can.

Don't listen to the posts that say "join the Air Force" without offering concrete explanations and examples. Ask them to describe their experience in the Air Force. Then find a young Marine and ask him/her. Then find a young Coasty and a Soldier and a Swabby. Don't listen to anything the recruiters say about quality of life. Talk to actual service men and women and find out why they like or dislike their branch. Try to find a person in the MOS she is considering, if it progresses to that point.

Having said all that...if she does not LOVE the Flag, encourage her not to join the Marines. There are tough times in the Corps that are only worth it if you understand the cost if there were no more Marines to stand the line. First to fight. First to die. Semper Fi!

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Going to jump in here too, why not? Yes the Air Force has it pretty cushy most of the time but unless things have changed drastically advancement is slow. When I joined the Navy I said I was going to keep going until I stopped having fun or hit 20. At 20 and a tiny bit more I hung up my dixie cup for the last time. I spent my last 5 years teaching young men and women about radar and computer systems and I will soon be back in the classroom teaching science. I say look at what each branch has to offer and make an informed decision. As others have said words don't mean anything if they aren't written down, get it in black and white on your contract.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Don't think the air force is all that cushy either. Depending on what she does, she can expect to possibly see 12 hour duty cycles, extreme heat or cold and whether you classify it as cushy or not, it can be a LOT of tedium working through aircraft systems.

Their search and rescue as well as MP training is as rugged as you want to get.

As long as she has a level head, she should be ok. Several of the girls I knew that went into the armed forces, made poor moral choices one in, which often left them pregnant.

I know more that were fine and dandy, but there were a surprising number who seemed like they lost all sense, primarily (don't take this the wrong way navy guys)... in the navy. And they weren't drop outs, but most were honor roll students. Surprised more than a couple of us.

Anyhow, just have her look around at ALL the branches and make sure to talk to people who were in, not recruiters.

Recruiters have been known for stretching the truth a bit :)

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well as far as remaining in grade, the Air Force may pay better. I know of a lot of people who are unable to retain their grade and are dropped to Corporal etc. Whereas, the Air Force uses educational advancement and EPR format for promotion. I Put E-3 on right after technical school and I put E-4 on before my three year mark. I tested for E-5 a couple months after that. Air Force is the way to go :twocents: The Guard and Reserve get promoted much faster from E-1 to E-5 though.

I made
    E-2 in 6 months
    E-3 in 9 months
    E-4 in 14 months

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And I hear you about the Infantry thing. I'm wanting to go back in the Guard... at 41 no less, because I have a desire to also earn that blue cord.

Please don't tell me they are giving out blue cords for 2 week mup training in the Guard.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had a GT score of 123 and decided to sign up for 11X. That is Infantry, undecided. I was told by my recruiter that I could pick from Bravo, Charlie, Hotel or Mike once I got in. Once there, I found out they chose Mike for me so I got to be Mechanized Infantry. I was also told that I could get Airborne school once I got out of basic. At the end of basic, I was told that they don't throw Bradleys out of airplanes so no Airborne for me.

I got sent to Germany right out of basic. Germany was great but the unit sucked. The overseas units are more political and cut throat. If I ever got to see some of the douche bags that made my life hell, I'm sure they'd get to find out what my fist tastes like. I spent 6 months in Bosnia and a total of 14 months in the field or deployed in my 2 years in Germany. I extended my 3 year contract 6 months so I could PCS stateside and get married. I spent a year in Ft. Carson and got out. Best decision I ever made.

I'm glad I served but just as glad I got out. You deal with jerks that make your life miserable whether in the military or the civilian world. But with the civilian world, if your boss is a jerk, you have the freedom of leaving. Just so you know that I'm not a a quitter every time the going gets tough, I've worked for the same company over 10 years right after getting out. You may get trapped with an absolute jerk for 2 or more years.

I never knew how good of a soldier I was until it came reenlistment time. I guess I was just a dirt bag until then. They offered me over 20 different jobs. I told them if they'd give me Germany and x-ray technician for 3 years, I'd sign. They wouldn't give me both so out I went. I thought about going EOD, which I could have gotten. They told me that I'd have an 80% chance of going to Korea right out of school. I called the Colorado Springs Bomb Squad and asked if EOD school would help me get a job with them and they said it would basically make no difference.

The people you serve with and under will make or break your career. In Germany, I served with people who would cut your throat to get ahead. At Ft. Carson, I worked in an S3 shop with a fine group of officers. I drove the Bn. Commanders hummer and he was an excellent guy to work for.

It all comes down to your daughters' personalities as well. Do they respond well to discipline? Myself, I hate being treated like a 2 year old because of other peoples actions. Because one person screws up, everyone is in trouble. That's fine for basic, but beyond that, you need to be treated like an adult.

Myself, I say go with Air Force.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I cut out a comic from one of the girly magazines years ago that showed this poem on a bathroom stall.

I've blanked women from France,
    I've blanked women from Spain,
    I've even blanked women on the beaches of Maine,
    But I'll never be happy or
    I'll never be free until
    I've blanked the Army
    Like the Army blanked me.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Small world. D 2/58 House of Pain, as well. Class of 1996

I was there from September 8, 95 til the end of Jan. 96. I got to 30th AG on Sept. 8 and didn't get to 2/58 til the 28th. I wasn't a hold over either. It just took them forever to get us a unit. That was a heck of a way to celebrate my 19th birthday. Show up to the house of pain.

Did you guys still have the dog?

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Didnt see any dog. I got to D. Company on July 24 1996 at the young age of 17. Turned 18, 14 days later. I think it was my worst birthday ever!

philec39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Frankfort, IN
    If your daughter has the grades, she might want to consider one of the military academies. She would get an excellent education, and on graduation as a junior officer (2nd Lieutenant)would probably have more responsibility given her than anywhere in civilian life. I spent twenty + enlisted years in the AF, retiring in 1979, and if they didn't think I was too old now (I'm not, of course) I'd be back in that blue uniform tomorrow. The duty assignments were good, most of the people I worked with were great, and the benefits better than I've seen in civilian life.

Top Bottom