• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Having spent 26 years active duty in the USAF, I can most assure you that the Air Force is THE service for her if:

-She's got intellect
    -She likes technical subjects
    -She aspires to get a college education
    -She's motivated
    -She enjoys teamwork
    -She likes a challenge
    -She likes to travel

Just since 9/11 I've "visited" many interesting places, like Afghanistan, Bulgaria, Romania, Germany, England, Turkministan, France, Kyrgystan, Greenland, Honduras and Iraq. Along the way, they paid for an A.S., B.S. and M.S. degree. All the folks here have written regarding the AF and the better treatment and living quarters are spot on. I have spent most of my career working with the Army. So I have seen the way they treat their personnel. My 21 year old daughter decided to NOT enter the military and that's her choice, but if I were to recommend only one service....to my daughter, it would be the United States Air Force.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions/concerns you may have.

:+1: Right on the money!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you guys are only going to recommend the "cushy services", then just recommend she not join the military at all. Have her go apply for a gov't job. :p

It all depends on what she wants to do. I personaly served in the Coast Guard, because I wanted to save lives. Not take them unless there was no alternative. Also they do a lot of Law Enforcement, which is well suited for me.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I did twenty years in the Navy and have no regrets. The most challenging thing for your daughter will be to pick a career path she wants to take before signing up. Many Navy recruiters will try to get a warm body (they are under incredible pressure to do so) and will often tell a new recruit that they should go in, see the different jobs, then decide what they want to do.

If your daughter does well on the ASVABs then she can pretty much pick her job, if she does so before signing up. Once she is in, it will be much harder to pick what she wants to do. If you go in without job guarantees, the "availability" of good jobs, gets extremely limited.

When I joined I wanted to go into the Cryptology field. After taking the ASVAB, the Navy personnel at MEPS tried to pressure me into going into the Nuclear Field. I told them if they had no availability in the field I wanted, I would simply talk to the Air Force. Amazingly they found an opening, but I had to wait a whole week before going in.

Find out what her interests are, then pick the Service and job that she has the most interest in. The most miserable person in any service is the one doing a job he/she hates day after day. If she decides to go Navy, and you would like any advice, PM me. I would be happy to help. Good Luck.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    i'm not gonna sift through 120 posts so i am sure my comments have already been posted just adding my 1/50th of a dollar.

either AF or Navy. She'll get the best technical training with far more career opportunities for once she separates(should she choose) best duty locations, better food, better housing, better treatment.

i am personally going on 11 years of service 3 active and 8 guard and have had lots of expirnce with prior service from all branches and MOST everyone concurrs AF is the way to go. just be supportive and the rest should take care of itself

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    If she wants to join the navy, paint the inside of her bedroom and closet grey. Then, shove a cot inside her closet, and stuff all her belongings under the cot, and tell her she has to live like that for the next six to nine months. One more thing. Since she is a female, let her know her room can go back to normal if she gets pregnant (men don't get this option).

Good luck!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I see lots of suggestions for the Air Force, but no-one seems remember the Coast Guard. They pay good bonuses and they aren't the Army. Besides, who doesn't like to be stationed near the beach?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I see lots of suggestions for the Air Force, but no-one seems remember the Coast Guard. They pay good bonuses and they aren't the Army. Besides, who doesn't like to be stationed near the beach?

:rockwoot:

No I had not forgotten the Coast Guard. I just have zero experience around the the CG to base an opinion on.

Uhhh... Just one question when you say beaches, its not like when I say beaches right?! Cause I know the what last group of Army guys (my Great Uncles) that got suckered into beaches got...

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    This is a well commented on thread. As A 8+ Army Vertern I would make the following comments:

I believe that each service matches up with each individual depending on expectations and personalitys.

I agree that the Air Force in general has the best living conditions. The big key for me was money. I was co-located with the Air Force on different occasions. I made E6 in 39 months and was located with AF E5 that had been in 12 years.

If you are in the "learn a living mode" then the Navy and Air Force probably the better choices.

I have always recommended the Navy or the Air Force, specfically Air Crew personnel, as an opportunity to see more of the world than the Army usually offers.

I have experience and highly recommend the military to any young person.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    If she wants to join the navy, paint the inside of her bedroom and closet grey. Then, shove a cot inside her closet, and stuff all her belongings under the cot, and tell her she has to live like that for the next six to nine months. One more thing. Since she is a female, let her know her room can go back to normal if she gets pregnant (men don't get this option).

Good luck!

My... you sound a tad bitter. What gives? :dunno:

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    My... you sound a tad bitter. What gives? :dunno:

judging by the username, and i guess they'll have to clarify...but they gave military a shot. OCS is 'Officer Candidate School' and realized that it wasn't for them DOR is 'Drop on Request' (basically you decide it wasn't for you)...hence, ocsdor

:twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    judging by the username, and i guess they'll have to clarify...but they gave military a shot. OCS is 'Officer Candidate School' and realized that it wasn't for them DOR is 'Drop on Request' (basically you decide it wasn't for you)...hence, ocsdor

Fan of Officer and a Gentleman I guess :D

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Can always go Guard, stay in your home area and drill 1+ Weekends a month, 2+ weeks every year.
    Get paid more per Drill than RAs.
    Also, right now they are paying you to go to college.
    Enlistment bonuses are up to $6K.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

For the record, I served 4 years enlisted (honorably), spent 4 years in college, and went back to OCS, and yes, I did DOR.

As for what I originally posted, it was NOT out of bitterness; it was out of truthfulness and experience. I had a good enlisted experience. Perhaps the young woman should watch Carrier on PBS to help get a better idea of what deployment is like. CARRIER | PBS

In fact, for a while, I was stationed on the Navy side (NAF Washington DC) of an Airforce Base (Andrews AFB). The enlisted Air Force barracks were better than the Navy officer barracks.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    For the record, I served 4 years enlisted (honorably), spent 4 years in college, and went back to OCS, and yes, I did DOR.

As for what I originally posted, it was NOT out of bitterness; it was out of truthfulness and experience. I had a good enlisted experience. Perhaps the young woman should watch Carrier on PBS to help get a better idea of what deployment is like. CARRIER | PBS

In fact, for a while, I was stationed on the Navy side (NAF Washington DC) of an Airforce Base (Andrews AFB). The enlisted Air Force barracks were better than the Navy officer barracks.

LOL yeah they were nice for a couple years... but when I put my third stripe on, they kicked me off base and gave me a Basic Allowance for Housing to move into an apartment off base. Hey I wasn't complaining lol $450/month BAH at the time :D I had a room mate so it was even better.

Oldcoyotedream

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    West Side Indy
    8 years USAF here, she will be the only on to decide. Yet she needs to do some research about what she is getting into. Have her find some web sites that have feamale military (USAF) forums or chat rooms and ask some questions.

Top Bottom