• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Which rule says you have to leave it at home or in the car? Nobody told me about that one.

They're printed on the zip ties (kinda hard to read though) ;)

"This device must stay affixed since you didn't leave the item..........."

Or maybe that's just the locking serrations of the zip tie, yeah I need bifocals.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I cut the zip tie off my CCW before exiting the building on Friday (makes sense with the trash being there) but after the incident on Saturday I noticed IMPD standing there stopping people. I suppose they were just trying to prevent another incident.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I cut the zip tie off my CCW before exiting the building on Friday (makes sense with the trash being there) but after the incident on Saturday I noticed IMPD standing there stopping people. I suppose they were just trying to prevent another incident.

It could be that simple. ;)

Skyhawk

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Richmond Indiana
    I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but, will say that if you have to have signs posted so that you know how to be responsible when in public held events, then maybe YOU need to stay home or else you're proving the anti-gunners right.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    WOW - And I thought only hot weather got people's blood boiling. :xmad:

I've been working and visiting gun shows all over the U.S. way before zip-ties were used for guns. Some shows so big they make the 1500 look like a kiddie carnival. Most people I know and myself have used that room before the outside exit (most convention centers have these type rooms) to do much more than just remove the zip-ties.

Usually there are a few tables in there so it's the last place to adjust yourself, your guns and gear before the long haul out to your vehicle. If having long guns, this is where I will put them in their socks and cases and get them all strapped up. Same thing with all my handguns, before leaving I put them in their cases and get them ready to be carried. They would be out of the cases if I'm walking around to sell them to potential buyers.

Since zip-ties were implemented at shows, this is also the room where I cut and take them all off all my guns because just before entering this room, an employee had just checked to make sure that all my guns still had them secured. This is also the last chance room (depending on weather) to put on my gloves, scarf and coat - rain gear - glasses, sun screen, hat - etc...

I am NOT going outside into the elements to then lay my guns and gear, unprotected on the ground to then start caseing them and adjusting everything.

BTW - Nowhere in this room did I mention anything about loading any weapons. This is because my loaded EDCs never left my holsters since putting them on in the morning and won't leave my holsters till taking them off for bed.

Let's face it - While Loading and UnLoading our guns is when stupid will happen.
    Fool.gif

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Funny, that's what the other guy was saying right before the loud noise and the ambulance ride... :rolleyes:

I don't think the guy that shot himself would have done things any different even if he waited till he got to his car. Only difference is his car would also have an extra hole!
    I don't see a problem at all with removing the zip tie while in the lobby. As long as you wait till you're outside to reload IN A SAFE MANNER!
    I also agree with those who say there should be sand barrels or the equivalent available to those who wish to use them!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Most venues can add a rule at anytime. Simply put they put the tie on in expectancy that it will remain on till you leave the building. If you were outside you were in the right. If you were inside and cut the tie they have the right to require you to keep the tie on, posted or not.

You may be the safest guy out there but there is no way to determine that at the show.

I could sort of agree here, except as the op said, you aren't required to put the zip tie on until you are completely in the actual room. People can be on one side of the lobby without zip ties entering, but those leaving can't be in the same lobby without zip ties on theirs?:dunno: I believe that is the op's issue! And I agree that cutting off the tie in the lobby is perfectly acceptable! At least it's better than discarded zip ties all over the parking lot.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Seriously?

First, I wouldn't be coonfingering my carry gun in the foyer in the first place.

But even if I were, I wouldn't risk getting all up in an unnecessary altercation over standing up for my valuable constitutional right to cut an orange piece of plastic RIGHT THERE instead of ten yards over that way.

Is it safer to cut a zip tie "ten yards over tht way"?:dunno:

Suppose he had been one of those evil, jack-booted, respeck-mah-authoritah cops that everybody's always worried about on the intertubenets? If he had been, you were risking a pepper-sprayin', taserin' beat-down over your God-given, inalienable right to cut a piece of orange plastic right there instead of over there. .)

Really? A beat down for cutting a zip tie?:n00b:
    I'd gladly take that beating!

dhisle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Union County. Indiana
    They zipped my xd, and my wife's Taurus. They couldn't get the slide back on it, didn't know how to pop up the barrel so he ***,, wait for it***pulled the trigger and zip tied it back! Yeah some cops are dips!

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Really? I guess I've been doing it all wrong too! I didn't realize we needed a "safe backstop" to cut a zip tie!:n00b:

If that zip tie is on a gun in your hand you sure should.

(Although I realize that most folks think gun shows are magical places where you can violate the Four Rules willy-nilly because "Hey, buddy, it ain't loaded!" You can't go ten feet in the 1500 without getting muzzled more than the Chinese dissident press.)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If that zip tie is on a gun in your hand you sure should.

(Although I realize that most folks think gun shows are magical places where you can violate the Four Rules willy-nilly because "Hey, buddy, it ain't loaded!" You can't go ten feet in the 1500 without getting muzzled more than the Chinese dissident press.)

Believe me, I'm fully aware and practice safe gun handling! But there is absolutely nothing wrong with removing the zip tie before stepping out the door!

I also worked the show all three days and had HUNDREDS of guns pointed at me over the weekend. Not that i enjoyed it! Just sayin'

Ps. I like the Chinese dissident remark.:D

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Do you mean like that one?

He could have been talking about these:

and a dip-**** IPD cop was ready to crucify me

followed by some dip-**** 1500 employee who was echoing everything.

I assume he's a dip-****, .

I mean, other than to Officer Dip-**** IPD.

if the dip-**** cop wouldn't have been nasty,.

just because he wanted to be a over-controlling *****..

Top Bottom