• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Just want to say be vigilant on these things. I'm up at that little university in West Lafayette, and I didn't get much in the way of dinner tonight after my debit card was declined for insufficient funds. A call to my bank showed a purchase I didn't make. Gotta get that sorted with the bank tomorrow (well, today, but not at 1:00am) and see what can be done.

In a separate incident down in Rushville, multiple people I know have had credit card information stolen. It is not confirmed as the culprit, but Kroger and Kroger gas has been a common denominator in all of the cases I've heard of.

From now on cash is king for this guy.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I found out (checked my account on my own) early Friday morning that I had been swindled in two separate withdrawals, the first for exactly $10 to Red Cross of Washington, DC, and the second one that really hurts, $455.63 to "Huckberry CA."
    I'm certain that I didn't make a donation to Red Cross at all, at least not at any time this year, and neither did my wife, and neither of us has ever made a payment that big on the card, as I go with actual cash for anything nearly that big to keep aware of exactly what's happening.
    A quick reverse phone number lookup on the $10 to Red Cross came up as it being a legitimate phone number, but the big one to Huckberry came up as being located in San Francisco, with the name of the actual business as blocked and the phone number as VOIP (Voice Over IP, i.e. Internet phone), a sure sign that this was more than likely an overseas swindle, especially because the thief obviously couldn't even spell his phony company right as "Huckleberry."
    I had the account closed and the cards disabled as soon as my credit union opened, and I had to write a letter detailing exactly what happened to put the wheels in motion to get the charges reversed and my money back.
    btw...I get nearly all my groceries at Kroger, as well as their gas, so this really makes me wonder if someone is installing trojan horse readers on their gas pumps.
    The only good thing about this was that I caught it the day that it happened, but I sure would sooooooooooo love to drop a tac nuke on the scumbag who did this.:xmad:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I found out (checked my account on my own) early Friday morning that I had been swindled in two separate withdrawals, the first for exactly $10 to Red Cross of Washington, DC, and the second one that really hurts, $455.63 to "Huckberry CA."
    I'm certain that I didn't make a donation to Red Cross at all, at least not at any time this year, and neither did my wife, and neither of us has ever made a payment that big on the card, as I go with actual cash for anything nearly that big to keep aware of exactly what's happening.
    A quick reverse phone number lookup on the $10 to Red Cross came up as it being a legitimate phone number, but the big one to Huckberry came up as being located in San Francisco, with the name of the actual business as blocked and the phone number as VOIP (Voice Over IP, i.e. Internet phone), a sure sign that this was more than likely an overseas swindle, especially because the thief obviously couldn't even spell his phony company right as "Huckleberry."
    I had the account closed and the cards disabled as soon as my credit union opened, and I had to write a letter detailing exactly what happened to put the wheels in motion to get the charges reversed and my money back.
    btw...I get nearly all my groceries at Kroger, as well as their gas, so this really makes me wonder if someone is installing trojan horse readers on their gas pumps.
    The only good thing about this was that I caught it the day that it happened, but I sure would sooooooooooo love to drop a tac nuke on the scumbag who did this.:xmad:
    Huckberry is a very real business, catering to high end gifts, gear, etc.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Just want to say be vigilant on these things. I'm up at that little university in West Lafayette, and I didn't get much in the way of dinner tonight after my debit card was declined for insufficient funds. A call to my bank showed a purchase I didn't make. Gotta get that sorted with the bank tomorrow (well, today, but not at 1:00am) and see what can be done.

In a separate incident down in Rushville, multiple people I know have had credit card information stolen. It is not confirmed as the culprit, but Kroger and Kroger gas has been a common denominator in all of the cases I've heard of.

:yesway:......At'sa best way.....
    been at'away fer me fer loooooong time.......'F'em banks an' shizz......:xmad:.......ain't got CC's/DC's no more.....don't NEED'em....

onliest major bill I got......is a mortgage......WesternUnion werks on'at......:yesway:
    util's?......in person w/CASH......
    all'a my ins ?.....in person w/CASH.....

I don' trust fook'n banks an' shizz no more.....an' have learn't I REALLY don NEED the bastids......OR they problems.....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    They got me a few weeks ago. There was a purchase of some sort for a few cents then a purchase at a Michigan walmart for 400ish and another at Meijer in michigan for another couple of hundred.

Thankfully the bank has hired someone to watch the accounts, they gave me a call early in the morning and froze my card without asking any personal info. Had my money back in 3 days.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Got a e-receipt notification to my phone on Saturday from Paypal for $410.60 from Academy Sports store 167 in Prattville, AL.

I was in the Haute!

I've never done it, but apparently if someone has your pin and your cell phone number they can make purchases at some retailers. I had to change some things (password, pin, etc) on my paypal account, then I removed my cell phone number that is linked to the account so that method can't be used again. Now to see how long this process takes to get the money back. I tried to get paypal to stop it, which they say they can't, which I think is BS. I also called Academy to file a claim. Money was withdrawn from my account this morning..... still waiting on a response from paypal.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    That's the biggest shame is there's no way to internet shop without getting some sort of credit/debit card. Thankfully mine only had somewhere north of $150 on it and is blocked from overdrawing so my total loss, if not reimbursed by the bank, is minimal.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Received a call on cell last Monday morning from bank asking if any reason my card would be used in Dallas, Texas ? My wife and myself are the only users of the card and we are both in IN. The bank had actually refused/declined the charge before they called me. They cancelled the card and Fed Ex'd a new card to us immediately.

76chevy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    I got hit for $550 in fuel in northern IN. SKimmers is one route, another is a whole black market of card numbers and pins for sale online. They can even make a card with your number on it!

Scary stuff!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    According to friends in the trucking business, a very large and almost totally unknown case of skimming occurred at a large truck stop near I-65 south iof Indy. All the card info was transmitted wirelessly from the fuel pumps to the store. After thousands of dollars worth of goods were fraudulently purchased it was found that some POS was sitting in the truck stop with equipment capable of intercepting those transmissions. He/they were caught but not before they did a lot of damage. We are incredibly vulnerable!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    According to friends in the trucking business, a very large and almost totally unknown case of skimming occurred at a large truck stop near I-65 south iof Indy. All the card info was transmitted wirelessly from the fuel pumps to the store. After thousands of dollars worth of goods were fraudulently purchased it was found that some POS was sitting in the truck stop with equipment capable of intercepting those transmissions. He/they were caught but not before they did a lot of damage. We are incredibly vulnerable!

Nnnnaahhh.....WE ain't......:):.....some of ya, me'be......
    see post 4.......

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    It's really rather ridiculous. We're told how "safe" these cards are compared to cash, well just from this thread I'd say it's safe to say more money has been stolen from cards than cash for most of us.

Bank says the $100 fraudulent charge was charged to Amazon. They had attempted to charge $199, but I didn't have that much so it declined (hah). I doubt it will happen, but I'm really hoping I can find out what was purchased and where it was sent to. The bank representative said to use it on Amazon they would have had to have had the security code, so that narrows the culprits down to cashiers, roommates, and roommates' friends. I originally figured it was a vending machine I frequent, but if what she said was true about needing the security code I suppose that's out of the equation.

Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin

Its too bad they are moving to eliminate cash completely. I believe within 10 years unless you physically have your wealth you won't be guarnteed to have it. Electronic theft is a epidemic and the banks and government are pushing more and more electronic transactions on us.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I don't use debit cards, but do use credit cards. I've been jacked a few times, Chase has always taken care of it, not cost me anything but frustration. Scarred of the debit card.

76chevy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    gathering it is one thing, THEN it goes for sale online in the dark web!

I am moving to all cash but it difficult with many bills payable only online, mortgage for one....

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Count your lucky stars. I was notified two weeks ago that I was one of the millions who had their identity and fingerprints stolen from the fiasco at the OPM. So far, it is to the tune of $40,000.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    gathering it is one thing, THEN it goes for sale online in the dark web!

I am moving to all cash but it difficult with many bills payable only online, mortgage for one....

:rolleyes:......see post 4.....here's a pit'cher....
    western-union_logo_3981.png

Count your lucky stars. I was notified two weeks ago that I was one of the millions who had their identity and fingerprints stolen from the fiasco at the OPM. So far, it is to the tune of $40,000.

?.....at's some SERIOUS money, rite'ere dude......:spend::facepalm:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Wow, are you going to be reimbursed any of that?

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Wow, are you going to be reimbursed any of that?

That's not how much they have stolen from any account of mine, it's the amount they have used opening new accounts using my identity.

At this point my credit is destroyed and all I get is three free years of identity protection.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Somebody tried to use my corporate card (travel expenses only) for a $450 TJ Maxx shopping spree in Atlanta, GA, this past Saturday. Kudos to the CC company, for flagging it immediately and notifying me.

I'm extremely careful with that card. I'm fairly certain it was a taxi driver.

Top Bottom