• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I would highly recommend that if your CC company offers a text message for any purchase enroll in it. Every time a charge is made to my CC I get a text to my cell within a few sec's.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Received a call on cell last Monday morning from bank asking if any reason my card would be used in Dallas, Texas ? My wife and myself are the only users of the card and we are both in IN. The bank had actually refused/declined the charge before they called me. They cancelled the card and Fed Ex'd a new card to us immediately.

If we plan to use our card on the road I have to call our bank with an itinerary or they will not let the charges go through. Found out this works on a road trip a while back attempting to fill up out of state. No joy. A call to the bank got things going again but they watch it really well.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Had $174 charged to ASEA some multilevel marketing sales thing last Sunday. Got charges reversed in a week and new card today with that chip in it.

Chumley

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2014
    Clayton
    Where I work had our fuel cards skimmed. It wasn't noticed till our cards were getting declined because they reached the limit. They had charged over $8000 on multiple cards. All from a skimmer at a gas pump.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well, paypal approved my dispute, which was fairly fast.... now I have to wait 5 days for the money to be put back into my account and then another 2 or 3 to transfer it back to my bank account. yay.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    If I recall correctly, several years ago, one of the major banks/cards offered a way to generate a single-purchase-specific card number/PIN for online shopping. Wonder what happened with that.

With parking lot snoopers, I worry more about the move towards RFID-type payments--seems an even easier target.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Capital One sent me a new card a week or two ago with the chip in it and an explanation of how it works. The account number is different from what I had in the past, as is the security code. I don't think I have ever had them change the account number before but it sounds like it will change periodically to help prevent fraud. I very rarely use my debit card and have a separate account that is connected to Paypal that never has more than $2 in it. If I pay via paypal, I transfer just enough to cover the purchase.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Y'all reminded me it's been over a year, so I checked annualcreditreport.com for a status... everything A OK!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Capital One sent me a new card a week or two ago with the chip in it and an explanation of how it works. The account number is different from what I had in the past, as is the security code. I don't think I have ever had them change the account number before but it sounds like it will change periodically to help prevent fraud. I very rarely use my debit card and have a separate account that is connected to Paypal that never has more than $2 in it. If I pay via paypal, I transfer just enough to cover the purchase.

I do this with a separate account we only use for on line purchases.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I need to run the credit reports soon. I need to mark the calendar to do one every four months...since each of the three allow it once a year. I used to do them all at the same time, but I saw this suggested and it makes a lot more sense.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well, paypal approved my dispute, which was fairly fast.... now I have to wait 5 days for the money to be put back into my account and then another 2 or 3 to transfer it back to my bank account. yay.

Update of my own: My credit union already returned the money by Monday morning, even though I had reported the theft Friday morning.
    Excellent turnaround time.
    I asked the nice lady in charge there if I could call back in a couple of weeks to see if they were able to determine exactly how the scumbag hit me so that a) I can plug the hole and b) so that I have the possibility of finding out who did it.
    She speculated via educated guess about how some of these have been happening of late that this was brute force fraud, i.e. someone out there uses a random number generator for credit cards, then feeds that number to some place (she said that Red Cross had been used for this purpose quite a lot lately) just to see if the number is valid and goes through, at which point they really hit for as much as they can get away with.
    I'd like to go all Sergeant Hartman ("Private Pyle I'm gonna give you three seconds; exactly three-****ing-seconds to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-**** you!") on the crook.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've been hit a couple of times on my credit cards, and once on my debit card. Yeah, the scammers are scum, but I don't worry too much about it, since I'm not liable for fraudulent transactions. I've never had a problem getting it taken care of. My dad is funny, he's in his late 70's and will NOT make purchases over the internet, even though he does have a Visa and MasterCard. He's scared of fraud, so whenever he wants something from Amazon, I order it for him. He doesn't have a checking account because the bank pissed him off one day, so now he pays all of his bills with cash or money orders. I'll never give up the convenience of credit cards and a checking account, I'd go nuts!

If you want to prevent fraudsters from opening accounts in your name and running up charges, contact all 3 credit bureaus and put a "credit freeze" on your reports. No one will be able to open new accounts in your name, even if they have all of your personal information. You get a "pin," which allows you to lift the freeze for those times when you need a new loan or want to open a new credit account.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I've been hit a couple of times on my credit cards, and once on my debit card. Yeah, the scammers are scum, but I don't worry too much about it, since I'm not liable for fraudulent transactions. I've never had a problem getting it taken care of. My dad is funny, he's in his late 70's and will NOT make purchases over the internet, even though he does have a Visa and MasterCard. He's scared of fraud, so whenever he wants something from Amazon, I order it for him. He doesn't have a checking account because the bank pissed him off one day, so now he pays all of his bills with cash or money orders. I'll never give up the convenience of credit cards and a checking account, I'd go nuts!

If you want to prevent fraudsters from opening accounts in your name and running up charges, contact all 3 credit bureaus and put a "credit freeze" on your reports. No one will be able to open new accounts in your name, even if they have all of your personal information. You get a "pin," which allows you to lift the freeze for those times when you need a new loan or want to open a new credit account.

Can relate.....:yesway:
    they'r legal, thieve'n sunsab***h's........

'F'em........I've show'd 'em jus' how much I DON't NEED they azz'z...........OR they pro'lems.......

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I need to run the credit reports soon. I need to mark the calendar to do one every four months...since each of the three allow it once a year. I used to do them all at the same time, but I saw this suggested and it makes a lot more sense.

Credit Karma is a free service that does a good job notifying you if someone applies for credit in your name.
    I signed up for a new card this weekend, had an email from them within the hour.

I also have a service known as All Clear, it took them 24 hours to notice the new card.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I would highly recommend that if your CC company offers a text message for any purchase enroll in it. Every time a charge is made to my CC I get a text to my cell within a few sec's.

This! :yesway:

I too receive a text, that states amount and location (eg Kroger, Speedway, ATM, etc) anytime there is a withdraw from checking, savings, or credit card. Text is always within 30 seconds of using my card. I also have it set up to receive a daily text statement (balance only) at 5pm. It helps me and my wife keep a close eye on things. It was about my only option without a smartphone, but I like it a lot. I would suggest everyone check to see if their bank offers such a service. Mine happens to be a free service.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

One of the big 3 requires a total lift for a limited period of time for credit checks to be run. Found that out this summer when we were buying a house. I don't recall which one I could not just give the mortgage person a unique pin. Just was a PITA in the middle of a crazy summer.

But locking things down IS easy. Unless you have a child. No doing that online. Got to do that by hard letter. Which reminds me .....

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Automated fuel dispenser (pay at the pump). Speedway at Post and Washington..... just 2 weeks ago. You're covered as long as you're diligent. My result is two new pain in the ass chip cards and Discover buying someone 2 Maryland transit passes for $75 each.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    One of the big 3 requires a total lift for a limited period of time for credit checks to be run. Found that out this summer when we were buying a house. I don't recall which one I could not just give the mortgage person a unique pin. Just was a PITA in the middle of a crazy summer.

But locking things down IS easy. Unless you have a child. No doing that online. Got to do that by hard letter. Which reminds me .....

Never thought of having a child online. I think I'd rather do that the old fashioned way.

We have had all kinds of little annoyances with the boys and cards. Micro$oft is real bad about not letting go of your account once they have it, and I had to get a new card one time to shut them out. The suck thing was the bank left the old one active by mistake, so they were still getting me. A couple of these were about $200. The latest one was where son #2 had to download some app for school, and (I think it was the apple store) required a CC# even though it was a free app. Now he keeps buying songs, and he doesn't even have good taste in music.

Top Bottom