• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Micro$oft is real bad about not letting go of your account once they have it, and I had to get a new card one time to shut them out.

This! I even debated not buying the Xbox One because Microsoft are such douchenozzles about removing any form of payment from the account. They say hate is such a strong word but it doesn't even begin to cover my feelings towards Microsoft.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I had some $500 go missing at winn dixie (In Georgia) in 2014, shortly after starting my next job...you know how hard to get by that week with absolutely no money?

Fortunately, we got our money back but not after struggling through that week.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I just got informed that someone "took" 1600 smackaroos courtesy of my credit card from some overseas location. Card company will not charge me and my card was deactivated. Not sure if I'm going to activate the new one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This! I even debated not buying the Xbox One because Microsoft are such douchenozzles about removing any form of payment from the account. They say hate is such a strong word but it doesn't even begin to cover my feelings towards Microsoft.

We have a completely separate account for such things and have had to change cards multiple times over issues like yours.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'll be getting the money back in ten days, and the card is now deactivated. The dollar amounts was small enough nobody up the chain sees it as worthy of investigating so whoever did it gets to go about their merry way. I haven't had this card long and have used it at maybe eight businesses so I'll probably go tell the managers to keep an eye out if others come in with a similar complaint. I wish Amazon would give a shipping address for what the thief purchased so I could rule out it wasn't stolen by somebody up here I know.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Why don't you just buy Xbox cards (for Gold and MS points)? You can pick them up at most big box stores and pay cash for them and never have to give out a debit or CC number at all. Shoot, I even do that with Amazon orders.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    My credit Union called me today with a Fraud alert, my debit card had been attempted to be used at a Miejer today. They declined the charge. I didn't think to ask were the Meijer was located. I think this is the third time I've been hit, but each time the CU has been great at catching it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On this same topic, here's a guy with a point-of-sale device. All he needs to do is key in a low dollar amount, and move it close to your pocket that you have your wallet in.

You've now been charged automatically on your touch-pay enabled credit card.

All the more reason for an RFID-blocking wallet.

"Clickpocket" is the new hot term floating around for this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...e-a-contactless-card-watch-out-for-this-scam/

BFsXhUc.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On this same topic, here's a guy with a point-of-sale device. All he needs to do is key in a low dollar amount, and move it close to your pocket that you have your wallet in.

Contactless card owners warned against public transport scanner hack

BFsXhUc.png

Or, don't accept a credit card with RFID

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Contactless card owners warned against public transport scanner hack

BFsXhUc.png

Guy needs his fingers broken.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know my bank didn't give me a choice. Not that I actually use the new card anyways.

Can't RFID a dollar bill.

You can get a credit card from a place other than your bank.
    My CC sent me a RFID card.
    I called them up, said I didn't want it, I wanted one without the RFID.
    They started to go on about the benefits, ease of use, bla bla bla.
    So I told them I'd rather cancel then. I'd find another company, or just not have one.
    They sent me a regular CC.

Guy needs his fingers broken.

Start doing that a couple times, and maybe they will be "demotivated"

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have the feeling that some of you are screwing yourselves. The newer cards are chip and pin (or chip and signature). Not RFID. The EMV cards are much safer than the magnetic stripes cards and they cannot be read at a distance, as they are not RFID. You insert your card and it interfaces with the reader. Some places will have you sign for the transaction and some will have you input your secure PIN number. If you're turning these cards away, in favour of the old mag strip cards then you are doing yourself a disservice. And, if you travel outside the US you're really in for a treat, as a big chunk of the west has been using chip and pin for years now. Some places don't even have mag strip readers any more. Get the EMV card and use it and stop reading Alex Jones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have the feeling that some of you are screwing yourselves. The newer cards are chip and pin (or chip and signature). Not RFID. The EMV cards are much safer than the magnetic stripes cards and they cannot be read at a distance, as they are not RFID. You insert your card and it interfaces with the reader. Some places will have you sign for the transaction and some will have you input your secure PIN number. If you're turning these cards away, in favour of the old mag strip cards then you are doing yourself a disservice. And, if you travel outside the US you're really in for a treat, as a big chunk of the west has been using chip and pin for years now. Some places don't even have mag strip readers any more. Get the EMV card and use it and stop reading Alex Jones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

Well, the first card I received said RFID on the paperwork. It talked about merely needing to wave the card.
    On the card itself, it said RFID.

When I put it in front of a freq vs. amplitude scope, it showed a frequency.
    But you're right, I may not know enough tech.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, the first card I received said RFID on the paperwork. It talked about merely needing to wave the card.
    On the card itself, it said RFID.

When I put it in front of a freq vs. amplitude scope, it showed a frequency.
    But you're right, I may not know enough tech.

Not doubting that you may have got a tap card, but most new cards are not RFID, as that is not a mandated technology in the card realm. EMV IS mandated. Asking for an EMV instead of an RFID would not be uncalled for, but the majority of people are having their cards replaced by EMV, not RFID. My card companies have already replaced all of mine and they were all EMV, and these are major card companies and my bank.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My new one is a chip card and I just got a new debit card today with the chip technology. I have used the cc at Walmart and CVS so far with the new readers. No issues at those...just the gas station where I swiped it at the pump. I won't be doing that again. Now that gas prices are down, it will be easier to have enough cash in my wallet for gas. I can fill up way cheaper now. Those $100 fills were killers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not doubting that you may have got a tap card, but most new cards are not RFID, as that is not a mandated technology in the card realm. EMV IS mandated. Asking for an EMV instead of an RFID would not be uncalled for, but the majority of people are having their cards replaced by EMV, not RFID. My card companies have already replaced all of mine and they were all EMV, and these are major card companies and my bank.

Sometimes, someone tries to "help" you, whether you like it or not.
    I didn't ask for RFID. But they were doing it to save me the "trouble" of swiping. I mean, How Much Trouble Is That?
    Or some store that kept trying to push their card on me. It save me money. Why don't I get it? Cause I DON'T WANT IT. Ugh.
    Improved tech on the card to prevent info being stolen. GOOD.
    But I don't want RFID.

Top Bottom