• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Only teenagers think that refusing to do what authority figures recommend marks them as independent. Adults know that doing the exact opposite of what authority figures recommend is a sign of immaturity, not deliberation, and certainly not education.

This is what is comes down to for most anti-vax parents: it’s a source of self-esteem for them. In their minds, they have “educated” themselves. How do they know they are “educated”? Because they’ve chosen to disregard experts (who appear to them as authority figures) in favor of quacks and charlatans, whom they admire for their own defiance of authority. The combination of self-education and defiance of authority is viewed by anti-vax parents as an empowering form of rugged individualism, marking out their own superiority from those pathetic “sheeple” who aren’t self-educated and who follow authority.

A good post about the antivaxx movement and their ego. I think that it nails most of INGO's vaccine conspiracy theorists and their doctorates from Google University.

What everyone gets wrong about anti-vaccine parents | The Skeptical OB

Various authority figures have stated that you shouldn't have guns.
    Have you showed how adult you are, and turned yours in?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

measles cases last 20 years. Minimal compared to other non-vaccinated countries

Who said my kids were unvaccinated? I know that I didn't.

this is the land of ifs and butts. If your kids were unvaccinated, would you take them? Since they ARE vaccinated, will you let them play with kids who have measles? Would you let them go to the place where the majority of cases are coming from?

I used 2014, the highest measles infection rate we've had in a very, very long time. I could have used an average if I wanted to play games with statistics, but I didn't. I used the worst case scenario.

Even your use of the word "epidemic" is evidence of the hysteria. 644 cases in a year in a population of 318,000,000 is an epidemic? With zero fatalities or permanent injuries?

Definition of EPIDEMIC

: affecting or tending to affect a disproportionately large number of individuals within a population, community, or region at the same time <typhoid was epidemic>

fine, "outbreak"

really though, I don't care what you do. I forgot I'm not getting into the eternal debate with you on anything again. Shame on me.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Inoculating Ourselves from ?Gotcha? Stories on Vaccine Skepticism | National Review Online

Also... the map you probably won't see in the media

B87E-wCCAAE7ebA.jpg:large

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

I see Ben Carson is appealing to control freaks by calling to ban exemptions to vaccines. To him, people are just cattle and his cookie-cutter medical opinion is the only opinion that matters. Anyone with such low regard for individual rights and personal choice should never be permitted to hold power over the people.

"...we should not allow those diseases to return by foregoing safe immunization programs, for philosophical, religious, or other reasons..." -- Ben Carson

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    measles cases last 20 years. Minimal compared to other non-vaccinated countries

What's that? A correlation? But you said correlations don't matter.

this is the land of ifs and butts. If your kids were unvaccinated, would you take them? Since they ARE vaccinated, will you let them play with kids who have measles? Would you let them go to the place where the majority of cases are coming from?

There are a lot of variables that would affect my decision. If the world was more like the 60's and measles was just a standard part of childhood, I probably wouldn't fight that hard to avoid exposure. It is less dangerous and painful if you get it as a child than as an adult, and childhood measles would give them true lifelong immunity.

Additionally, we are careful to make sure that our kids have a healthy lifestyle that builds a strong immune system. If we were lazy in that regard, this would also affect my decision.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I see Ben Carson is appealing to control freaks by calling to ban exemptions to vaccines. To him, people are just cattle and his cookie-cutter medical opinion is the only opinion that matters. Anyone with such low regard for individual rights and personal choice should never be permitted to hold power over the people.

"...we should not allow those diseases to return by foregoing safe immunization programs, for philosophical, religious, or other reasons..." -- Ben Carson

There is no reasonable argument to allow the return of preventable illness.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Naplitano nails it. This is not a presidential issue. To require vaccinations or not is a state issue. According to the segment, except for a couple of states, vaccinations are only required if you want to send your kids to public schools. Assuming they're correct, you as parents, have the option. I see lots of hysteria for and against.

Judge Napolitano Sounds Off on Vaccination Debate

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

There are plenty of reasonable arguments.

What if the preventative measure is more dangerous than the illness?
    What if the preventative measure violates our liberties?
    What if the preventative measure is immoral to you in some way?
    What if the preventative measure doesn't work very well?

Obviously each of these arguments should be debated on their scientific and philosophical merits, but calling them "unreasonable" is just intellectually lazy.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

The idea that diseases are "allowed" to do anything is flawed.

The country is not a gerbil colony where freedoms can be restricted, and decisions can be made by a god-like government.

MisterChester, if someone decides against vaccinating, what do you want to happen to them?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The idea that diseases are "allowed" to do anything is flawed.

The country is not a gerbil colony where freedoms can be restricted, and decisions can be made by a god-like government.

MisterChester, if someone decides against vaccinating, what do you want to happen to them?

Nothing. But if they get a preventable disease that has a vaccine, well I have no sympathy. You made your bed. I just hope they don't infect someone else out of their foolish ignorance.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Thank God only the government uses hysteria.

Rand Paul: Vaccines Can Lead to 'Mental Disorders' - NBC News

Wait....he's a Senator, so the government is now going hysterical on both sides?

If he thinks he's appealing to the base...he had better do a little more research on the base.

I'm confused by this post. You do know that permanent neurological damage is a documented and confirmed side effect of some vaccines, right?

It is considered to be fairly rare, but it is documented fact. Rand is correct.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Honest question: Are you legally required to be vaccinated for anything in Indiana to be a legal resident of the state? Or are we just talking about the people of the states deciding it is the best interest of public health requiring children to be vaccinated as a condition of availing themselves of the public schools?

Top Bottom