• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rand Paul just stepped in it. Bit the ridiculous vaccine hook going around.

He says "most of them should be voluntary".... so you'll be seeing that replayed until 2016 so he has no chance.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Vaccine is easy and is quite effective.

Source?

Will you take your unvaccinated family to Disney land or let them play with infected kids? They only have a 1:500 chance of dying.

Who said my kids were unvaccinated? I know that I didn't.

You have GOT to be joking with this logic. You take a non-epidemic year to gather your stats and then use them to downplay an actual epidemic.

I used 2014, the highest measles infection rate we've had in a very, very long time. I could have used an average if I wanted to play games with statistics, but I didn't. I used the worst case scenario.

Even your use of the word "epidemic" is evidence of the hysteria. 644 cases in a year in a population of 318,000,000 is an epidemic? With zero fatalities or permanent injuries?

[h=2]Definition of EPIDEMIC[/h]1
    : affecting or tending to affect a disproportionately large number of individuals within a population, community, or region at the same time <typhoid was epidemic>

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The propaganda machine would have us believe that without 95%+ vaccinations rates wewill return to the dark ages of measles epidemics. Everyone needs to understand that this is utterly false. Let's not forget that the measles mortality rates had dropped precipitously close to zero even with a 0% vaccination rate.

fp0416_measle_rates_us_b_ab1.jpg

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Thank you, I've been looking for more examples of hysteria. I should have come to you first.

Look at this ridiculousness:

My hope is that the culture of tolerance of this intolerable anti-science threat begins to turn

"Anti-science". Hear that? If you disagree with your doctor, you must hate science.

lastcrusade.gif

"This is intolerable!"

This rise in parental vaccine refusal and hesitancy has produced regional “hot zones” of under-immunization

Hot zones! I love the terminology. Sounds like it's straight out of a movie.

Outbreak-outbreak-7020592-560-334.jpg

"Check your suits for rips, gentlemen. We're about to enter the 'hot zone'. There is no room for error.
    A single mistake could leave you itching for days."

Unfortunately, it is shamefully easy for a parent to vaccine-exempt their child.

Hear that? Medical freedom? Shameful.

It is time we stop pretending that the dangerous practice of not immunizing ones child is a choice worthy of respect and protection

Your medical choices are not worthy of protection.

Attachments

• Outbreak-outbreak-7020592-560-334.jpg
      Outbreak-outbreak-7020592-560-334.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 2

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here you go Kirk. More hysterical, unscientific media coverage designed to scare the CNN viewership.

Meh, I cited the CDC, not CNN.:D

Can the media benefit by hysteria? Sure. Do they engage in hysteria for ratings? Sure

Is the CDC doing so? It may be a subjective call, but I don't think so.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Is the CDC doing so? It may be a subjective call, but I don't think so.

To the extent the CDC is engaging in hysteria, I believe the decision to do so is based upon a conclusion that, unfortunately, the people they are trying to reach only respond to hysteria.

It goes kind of like this:

Gvt.: We believe that vaccinations provide you with the best chance of avoiding a variety of diseases, so if you want to send your kids to school, they need to get vaccinations.

Anti: YOU'RE KIDS WILL GET AUTISM AND LORD KNOWS WHAT!!!

Gvt.: Our studies don't show that and we still think vaccines are the best choice to protect people and communities.

Anti: THE ONLY REASON WE DON'T HAVE INFORMATION IS BECAUSE THE EVIL VACCINE COMPANIES HAVE BOUGHT THE GOVERNMENT!!! THE GOVERNMENT IS SUPPRESSING EVIDENCE AND WANTS TO USE VACCINES TO GET INTO YOUR HOMES AND CONTROL YOUR CHILDREN...AND YOUR KIDS ARE STILL GOING TO CATCH AUTISM.

Gvt: The truth is, if too many people refuse vaccines, diseases that have not been a threat for decades will make a comeback and some people will likely die.

Ant: HOW DARE YOU TRY TO CREATE HYSTERIA TO GET PEOPLE ON YOUR SIDE!!!!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Ahh... forced vaccinations. There it is.

This goes well beyond using government as a corporate marketing agent; the subsidized drug propaganda is not enough. The next phase is to actually force the herd to take drugs.

This is what many of these authoritarian science bloggers really want, but few are so bold as to openly advocate. I prefer that they come out of the shadows and declare their true intentions; that personal choice should be obliterated. Let's have that discussion.

Meh, I cited the CDC, not CNN.:D

Well there was that 2005 NYT article you posted... :):

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The propaganda machine would have us believe that without 95%+ vaccinations rates wewill return to the dark ages of measles epidemics. Everyone needs to understand that this is utterly false. Let's not forget that the measles mortality rates had dropped precipitously close to zero even with a 0% vaccination rate.

fp0416_measle_rates_us_b_ab1.jpg

This is very misleading. Could it be because basic hygiene standards have improved dramatically since the Great Depression?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Since this thread has gone the route of pouty anarchist conspiracy theories, here is a funny article from The Onion.

You may choose to follow the government-recommended immunization schedule for your child, and that’s your decision as a parent. And I might choose to unleash rubella on thousands upon thousands of helpless people, and that’s my decision as a parent.

I Don?t Vaccinate My Child Because It?s My Right To Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    To the extent the CDC is engaging in hysteria, I believe the decision to do so is based upon a conclusion that, unfortunately, the people they are trying to reach only respond to hysteria.

Gvt.: We believe that vaccinations provide you with the best chance of avoiding a variety of diseases, so if you want to send your kids to school, they need to get vaccinations.

Anti: YOU'RE KIDS WILL GET AUTISM AND LORD KNOWS WHAT!!!

Gvt.: Our studies don't show that and we still think vaccines are the best choice to protect people and communities.

Anti: THE ONLY REASON WE DON'T HAVE INFORMATION IS BECAUSE THE EVIL VACCINE COMPANIES HAVE BOUGHT THE GOVERNMENT!!! THE GOVERNMENT IS SUPPRESSING EVIDENCE AND WANTS TO USE VACCINES TO GET INTO YOUR HOMES AND CONTROL YOUR CHILDREN...AND YOUR KIDS ARE STILL GOING TO CATCH AUTISM.

Gvt: The truth is, if too many people refuse vaccines, diseases that have not been a threat for decades will make a comeback and some people will likely die.

Ant: HOW DARE YOU TRY TO CREATE HYSTERIA TO GET PEOPLE ON YOUR SIDE!!!!

Bravo!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Since this thread has gone the route of pouty anarchist conspiracy theories, here is a funny article from The Onion.

You may choose to follow the government-recommended immunization schedule for your child, and that’s your decision as a parent. And I might choose to unleash rubella on thousands upon thousands of helpless people, and that’s my decision as a parent.

I Don?t Vaccinate My Child Because It?s My Right To Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

When did Jenny McCarthy start writing original content for the Onion?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is very misleading. Could it be because basic hygiene standards have improved dramatically since the Great Depression?

Hasn't the pro choice vaccine crowd been arguing that improved hygiene may have played just as big a part of reducing disease as vaccines?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

This may be the way a small percentage of people look at it, but it has not been true in my experience. In my experience, the people harassing others about failure to vaccinate are incredibly ignorant on the subject, while those skeptical of vaccines have studied the subject heavily. As a matter of fact, most of them are not particularly concerned with Autism, but with the other documented reactions that are known to happen as well as any unknown reactions or chronic syndromes they may cause.

In my experience, it goes more like this:

Gvt: We believe that vaccinations provide you with the best chance of avoiding a variety of diseases, so if you want to send your kids to school, they need to get vaccinations.

Informed Parent: I disagree with your stated 'belief', based on my own research.

Gvt: Our researchers have confirmed this.

Informed Parent: Your researchers have admitted to dishonesty [fact] in their vaccine safety research. Vaccines can and do have serious, permanently damaging reactions [fact], and I am choosing to forgo a few of the vaccines for diseases that I don't believe to be particularly frightening.

"SCIENTIST": YOU ARE THE WORST PERSON...I SAY THIS AS A F***ING IMMUNOLOGIST...YOU ARE SINGLE HANDEDLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SKYROCKETING RESURGENCE OF DEATHS"

Informed Parent: Measles has a 0.1% mortality rate. Nobody in the U.S. has died from measles in... I don't even know how long.

Anti-Choicer: OMG WHY DO YOU HATE SCIENCE SO MUCH JENNY MCCARTHY IS AN IDIOT [posts a video of their favorite celebrity magicians teaching people about science]

Uninformed parent: My vaccinated child is going to die thanks to you!

Psuedo-Skeptic: lol u r so dumb check out this blog where he makes fun and calls you names lol --Science

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

What is misleading? The chart is measles deaths, not cases. The reality is that measles has a fatality rate approaching zero, and a serious complication rate also approaching zero. This happened before vaccines were ever introduced.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Let me add that their are ignorant people on both sides of this discussion. It is foolish to think that reasonable people can't disagree on this subject without being stupid or hating science. This division is further evidence of the propaganda machine at work. The same thing is happening with the global warming debate, and a lot of the same players are causing it.

Top Bottom